What's new
What's new

OT- Should forum rules be enforced more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChipSplitter

Titanium
With regard to spammers, free E-bay, and "troll threads" (YKWIM....26 pages recently :rolleyes5: ).

Anyone else noticed the spam getting a bit thick lately..? And they get away unpunished........

I know we mere mortals don't carry much weight, but if we're unhappy the powers-that-be *might* listen.

Should spammers be banned? What about the people that come here only to sell stuff...?

:gossip:

P.S. I remember TeachMePlease offering his services as a "spammer hammer"........or maybe he was joking. :D

You - don't - understand

"Drama" sells google hits.
Spammers Keep up that drama, and hence bring in cash.

Is this harmful to the long term health of the forum ? of course.
But if your retired, and have "boat payments" to make (along with dock rent)

You'll sell out.

The trouble with banning spammers is they simply come back in another incarnation. Best defense is vigilance in reporting by members.

IMO the worst violation of rules is repeated vicious personal attacks on other posters. There is a difference between putdowns (insults with some degree of cleverness) vs repeated outbursts of gutter language tirades such as practiced especially by one overseas member.

In a recent thread one poster kept calling other posters monkees and suggesting they eat bananas and twigs. While it did not seem as clever to the audience as to the poster I fell it falls under the nature of putdowns and doesn't rise to the level of rule breaking.

On the other hand one poster in a single thread has had several profane outbursts, especially when his country is criticized. These outbursts seem like full-on meltdowns and while an occasional one may be tolerated IMO repeated offenses should be rewarded with time off (after a warning).

In the case of improper titles or subjects the moderators usually deal with them as needed.

Mebfab does a good and fair job of policing the folks who only sell here.

As far as trolling, one of the very worst trolls got appointed and is currently a moderator here. Previously, one of the most angry/profane/ideological attackers here was a moderator. What does that tell you?

I haven't got a problem with the moderation on here, the level of discourse is no worse than the sort of arguments that take place in most shops. I've seen some of them get settled on the car park after clocking off time.

Regards Tyrone.

What rules? I didn't think this place had any these days. Other than making a troll a mod, the second most disgusting thing in my opinion is what newbies get away with when informed of the rules that are no longer enforced. A lot of them lose it and start hurling insults right and left. This place now tolerates crap that 99.9% of other professional websites would not. It has to be in the interest of increased revenue, somehow. What else could it be?

The only trouble, Tyrone my friend, is that it's difficult to meet some of the asshats that troll - or are just complete jerks - in the carpark on here. Trust me, there are a few that I'd have happily met there for a good stress relieving beating. :D

Mebfab does a good and fair job of policing the folks who only sell here.

Pardon Me ?

We have had a couple of single digit posters sell stuff that ends up scamming old timers out of money here. Mis-represented, never sent, etc. Never returned the money etc.

Recall the starret level incident from O-HI-O ?

Many, Many first time posters are in there selling.

I haven't got a problem with the moderation on here, the level of discourse is no worse than the sort of arguments that take place in most shops. I've seen some of them get settled on the car park after clocking off time.

Regards Tyrone.

You must have worked at some pretty crappy places. Seriously, have you ever worked somewhere where one employee constantly insulted almost all of his co workers? I have never seen a work place fight and I have worked at some large companies. I have seen quite a few heated arguments, but nothing physical. Almost all of them had nothing to do with machining, it was usually over a female.

Pardon Me ?

We have had a couple of single digit posters sell stuff that ends up scamming old timers out of money here. Mis-represented, never sent, etc. Never returned the money etc.

Recall the starret level incident from O-HI-O ?

Many, Many first time posters are in there selling.

I agree I see lots of warnings, but not much else.

The only trouble, Tyrone my friend, is that it's difficult to meet some of the asshats that troll - or are just complete jerks - in the carpark on here. Trust me, there are a few that I'd have happily met there for a good stress relieving beating. :D

I seriously think people that play internet troll have mental issues. The troll likely is someone who is either socially awkward or was bullied in the past. They can hide behind a keyboard and be someone they could not be in real life. What blows my mind is the ones that don't even own their behavior and constantly complain about people doing the exact thing they are.

You - don't - understand

"Drama" sells google hits.
Spammers Keep up that drama, and hence bring in cash.

Is this harmful to the long term health of the forum ? of course.
But if your retired, and have "boat payments" to make (along with dock rent)

You'll sell out.

Boats are a pain in the ass, I cringe every time my father asks me to make or fix something for his Donzi :crazy:

Pardon Me ?

while I agree with you, it seems naive or least they should eyes wide open to risk in buying from a first time poster....unless you are using paypal its send your money off and hope for the best. The appeal of the for sale forum is dealing with guys who are part of the community so have an interest in in their reputation etc. I'm not going to worry about getting ripped off from someone I know vs a complete stranger and a lot of us been around long enough we know each other (even if we don't always agree in the nutbar forum :) )

I don't recall where I saw it, but I did visit a forum where you could not sell until you had 50 posts. That seems to be a reasonable number, as even newbies can reach that in a few months if they really are contributing. Most trolls don't have the patience.

You must have worked at some pretty crappy places. Seriously, have you ever worked somewhere where one employee constantly insulted almost all of his co workers? I have never seen a work place fight and I have worked at some large companies. I have seen quite a few heated arguments, but nothing physical. Almost all of them had nothing to do with machining, it was usually over a female.

Yes I have worked at some crappy places and with all sorts of blokes, some good, some bad. I avoided the dick heads and spent my time with the blokes who weren't. I can recommend that policy for people on here as well. None of the dust up's I witnessed were about women, more than half were guys arguing about which was the best way to do the job believe it or not. It was a stressful place to work with plenty of macho guys, a volatile combination.

Regards Tyrone.

I wouldn't be too quick to blame any of this on Milacron. Inattentive? Maybe. But he did create this and put a lot of hard work into it. But he is not managing PM anymore. I met the lady that works for the company managing PM at IMTS 2016. I don't particularly blame Milacron for checking out. Someone else here want to step in? I do agree with all of the hateful rhetoric that seems to be more prevalent now. For Pete's sake, I went into the new IMTS Has Been Canceled post and that degenerated within 5 posts and is now closed.

And there is one member here who complains quite a bit about all of this yet is one of the biggest offenders/trolls this place has.

In my opinion, Milacron did not sell out, he is doing what any business man would do to keep this place afloat. If you think you can do better, start a forum.

Paul

In that case I'm glad you consider me to be friend.

Regards Tyrone.

Seems to me that the current system works out okay.
For sure if you go into certain subjects one will not like people or a comment will set some off.
This normal in any gathering and some people cuss more than others. That also normal, if wound up over this there is the sticks and stones vs words and your choices.
Spammers seem to get hit and if needed shut down fairly fast.

Now to the OP, why this bug up your ass and where to draw a line.
Bob

In my opinion, Milacron did not sell out, he is doing what any business man would do to keep this place afloat. If you think you can do better, start a forum.

Paul

I do believe that is by definition selling out ;)

Personally I don't think a paid membership forum would be a bad idea. I would subscribe if a handful of members here did. But I don't know shit about setting up that kind of thing or have the time. If I can't do something correctly I don't do it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back