What's new
What's new

OT:- Should we have a subforum for OT posts?

Should we have a subforum for OT posts?

• Yes

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Demon69

Titanium
In these times seems like forum toxicity has gone up a peg or two. The political voices seem especially loud atm. No harm in that per say but when a potentially interesting thread gets trashed and locked, not so great.

Should we an off front page place for some/all OT posts?
Any other suggestions?

There is no need for another subforum. The problem, which was 100% predictable, is that the moderators, for whatever reason, are no longer rigidly enforcing the very clear Off Topic Post Guidelines, specifically "Political and religious posts will be deleted". Until recently everything was fine and visitors, especially commercial ones which Don wants to attract, got to see thread after thread of members helping each other with machining or some other practical topic. The folks who think exercising their Freedom of Speech is bickering and turd throwing got confined to MA&E.

So loosening the enforcement of that has caused exactly what you have seen. Just like if the speed limit is 55 and it is rigidly enforced people will drive at 54. If no one gets a ticket unless you are doing 70 or over, people will drive at 67. Unless they see an accident with 8 police cars present and now a fair number will drive at 75-80 because they think there is no one to enforce the rules for another 20 miles.

Suggestions? Sure, just have the mods go back to the previously well enforced rules. Then new folks will come here, think "Hey, this is a great place" instead of "Hell, this is just like the comment section on Yahoo News".

Steve

Cheers Steve. Good points
Id counter that it could give the mods a lot to do. In these times the emotional load is great and some folks get wonky, i suspect thats at least in part caused the rise in the political stuff.
Perhaps a place for a slice of OT topics ie politics-world events etc?

Folks are gonna get going either way in these times I think, can keep in the garage out back or spend all day dealing with it.

One of the unfortunate truths about having a job is that you occasionally have to do something.
"When I signed up for this unpaying job I had 5 to do, I now have 50". I think theres a point when reality sets in and you give it the finger.

Hands Off completely moderation or sticking the head in the ground does not work well. When moderators moderate they will enjoy constant encouragement and support. Lol

It is personalities that go rogue whatever controls being in place their focus is the very same-negative.

Has not this question been asked in the past?
Maybe now is the time to let people vent....... It's not the normal cabin fever time.
If the "forum toxicity" bothers you just skip over posts or try to get the frustration all have in these times.
Is this a time to censor or a time to let all views and concerns be expressed?
Is it good to provide an outlet for all the feelings and point of views bottled up?
Yes, one side and then harsh from the other side. A sensible person can sort that out and see where each sits.

This sounds to me like you do not want to hear opposing views so we should not have such discussion here or move it to a different area.
Bob

One approach seeks to sensor, one gives it a place to vent.
If you put up an XYZ thread and it goes handbags and locked in front page view, is there a logic to that?
Who wins and who loses?
If the thread was of use to the community in some way then I guess they lose. Mods are given extra work load, they lose.
The handbagers get it out of their system so theres a win of sorts there. Traffic an ad revenue perhaps there too?

I guess im largely indifferent, the forums I come from got far worse. Never a bad idea to get a measure of where others are on something imo.

Last edited:
Has not this question been asked in the past?
Maybe now is the time to let people vent....... It's not the normal cabin fever time.
If the "forum toxicity" bothers you just skip over posts or try to get the frustration all have in these times.
Is this a time to censor or a time to let all views and concerns be expressed?
Is it good to provide an outlet for all the feelings and point of views bottled up?
Yes, one side and then harsh from the other side. A sensible person can sort that out and see where each sits.

This sounds to me like you do not want to hear opposing views so we should not have such discussion here or move it to a different area.
Bob

It does not bother me. It bothers many many others here. With rules when you have them you can always enforce them or let them slide. There are many who basically make this issue when it arises as a opportunity to pull out the long knives.

Of course CB a good discussion from all points of view is useful. Pointing out the problems which have arisen must keep in mind the stressful time we have now. Closing threads so far has been ideal. If something is on the wrong track lock it. We will learn from that and alter our discussions. Points taken.

In these times seems like forum toxicity has gone up a peg or two. The political voices seem especially loud atm. No harm in that per say but when a potentially interesting thread gets trashed and locked, not so great.

Should we an off front page place for some/all OT posts?
Any other suggestions?

On proprietary forums the OT section works well for non-proprietary discussion and anything else that is completely random, but even then political discussions are very frowned upon in a technical forum.

Manufacturing is different.

I voted yes.

#1 - If that means that Thermite, EmmanuelGoldstien & Gordon play in there, and less on the other boards, that's a win for everyone...

#2 - Fewer "OT - Need help with cutting the grass...." threads in the General section, means more relevant machining/metalworking/manufacturing content stays in the General section. I would frequent it more.

#3 - Then, you could take ad-money from non-manufacturing related sponsors, for that board at least. Generic viagara comes to mind, and not all that irrelavent assuming the average demographic around here.

I'm only half-joking BTW...

The "OT" in the leader suggests something.

Each of us can choose to enter...or not.

I would rather impose restrictions on thread drift!

What were we talking about again......?

A separate forum would be best. Call it "the lonely hearts club"! Then we don't have to step around all that bull sh**.

Back