What's new
What's new

OT- Simplified Method for Solving Quadratic Equations

I feel so fortunate

I've had all my quadratic equations solve many years ago. Did it myself too! ;-)

X equals negative B, plus or minus square root. B-squared minus 4AC all over 2A!

That equation, to the tune of Pop goes the Weasel, will never be forgotten.

His simplified method took the internet equivalent of several A size paper pages.

I can write the good, old fashioned quadratic equation solution on a single line.

x = [-b +/- °√(b^2 - 4 ac)] / 2a

I am 76 years old and still remember that equation/solution from high school (I can also derive it if need be). And it can be solved on a scientific calculator with two steps, one for each possible solution.

Now you tell me which is simpler.

I have seen these web math tricks before. I usually ignore them. In math there is always more than one way to solve any problem. I guess showing those alternate ways does help increase one's understanding of the subject, but they are not new or great discoveries.

Books have been published showing over 100 ways to prove the Pythagorean theorem:

a^2 + b^2 = c^2

They are interesting and that book shows that alternate proofs or procedures are common.

When I did maths exams you had to remember the formulas, you did get 4 or 7 fig log tables, napirian
Mark

It’s weird, I remember just about every formula from math, chem, physics and can’t remember where I park the van in a big car park, what day it is or where my keys are, fascinating thing the human brain, what you have can be lost in a few minutes
(Apparently a heart attack broke my short term memory, who’d guess that could happen)
To me maths exams have got easier year on year since I did mine, and when doing “past exam papers” they seemed harder than the one I did,
Mark

I never had any "maths" exams. MATHEMATICS was a very strong subject for me in high school and my minor in college. I rarely relied on rote memory when being examined. I preferred to understand the subject matter and to be able to derive those pesky formulae when I needed them.

When I did maths exams you had to remember the formulas, you did get 4 or 7 fig log tables, napirian
Mark

...a nd this little factoid is needed where ?

I know it's hard choosing whom you want in November....but a Quadratic equation ?

O.K. Sheldon.....:nutter:

I never had any "maths" exams. MATHEMATICS was a very strong subject for me in high school and my minor in college. I rarely relied on rote memory when being examined. I preferred to understand the subject matter and to be able to derive those pesky formulae when I needed them.

Hmm, yes, indubitably, old chap.

7188lMChoiL._AC_UL1334_.jpg

The kids today take a picture of the problem then they have an app that solves the equation for them. Not really sure if it is a self contained app or it goes online to do the math so that they have to have wifi or not.
Bill D

WolframAlpha.com has been around for at least a couple of decades. It can do anything a graphing calculator can do, plus a ton more. And its free.

Back