What's new
What's new

OT...Single vs. double acting 12 volt hydraulic pumps

HOMESTEAD

Aluminum
A few questions about single vs. double acting 12 volt hydraulic pumps guys. I have quite a bit of hydraulic experience, but I've never worked with these 12 volt pumps before.

It looks like the single acting pumps have one port; hydraulic fluid goes out the port under pressure, there is a check valve to keep cylinder from retracting when the pump stops, and a solenoid valve bypasses (or opens?) the check valve when you want to retract the cylinder?

On the double acting pumps there are two ports, and I'm assuming the motor reverses in order to determine which port the pressure is coming out of? Does the pump draw in hydraulic fluid from the "return" line, or does the fluid just return to the reservoir? Lastly, can a double acting pump be used in a single acting application?

I'm helping my cousin build a fish house frame and he wants hydraulic lift instead of hand winches. TIA

With all that hydraulic experience, how does the pump voltage affect anything? Pumps don't care what drives them and your questions are about valves, not pumps. Want to 'fess up about that "hydraulic experience"?

It wouldn't do much good to reverse the pump and have it feeding pressurized fluid back to the sump without doing any work. More than likely there is a valve manifold that redirects the fluid for directionality.
Possibly the pump could be set up to transfer fluid in two directions in a closed system without a sump, but rather using an external hydraulic cylinder as a reservoir. Problem there is the unequal volumes of the reservoir on each side of the piston (the one with the rod having the lower capacity).

Price a double acting before you get to far, the price might scare you. I bought one for a job a couple years ago and about fell over. The job fell through, still got it, its for sale.

Ed.

I think you have a terminology confusion. The pump is just a 12 volt hydraulic pump. The example shown also includes a valve set up for a double acting cylinder. It is not a double acting pump.

Back