OT- small propane generator for home backup? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the replies, I knew I'd get great information here.

I'm right in the city, houses are close, yard is small. Not going to have a 1000 gal propane tank(wife!). That means natural gas or gasoline, since the unit will have to be outside anyway. The small portable Honda mentioned by Denis sounds like a good possibility.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1 or 2 30# bottles would last a couple days.
    and other than tv special effects propane is safe. there is a very small window of ppm that will allow it to ignite

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a better guess at to how much propane is required

Propane Consumption Rate
    example:
    How long would a 5000 Watt Generator with a 10 HP engine at 50% load run on a 20# propane cylinder?
    10hp at 50% load would be using 5 horse power to generate 2500 watts of energy.
    5hp x 10,000 btu would consume 50,000 btu per hour.
    Using a 20# cylinder that produces 441,600 total btu, the engine consuming 50,000 btu per hour would run for about 8.8 hours.

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You might also want to google a cost comparison to run the generator with various fuels. Propane very quickly becomes prohibitively expensive to use for more than a few hours. Also, look at the continuous load rating of the generator you seek, not the advertised rating. The advertised output will usually be for a starting load.

I went with a military surplus MEP 803 diesel generator, 10KW for as long as you put fuel in it. It will probably do a lot more in the "oh God the end of the world is coming" mode. It is quiet enough that you can be standing 10 feet away and have a normal conversation. Price was reasonable too ($4000-4500)

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hofer View Post
    FWIW, I bought a pricey Generac generator after a 1998 flood led to four feet of water in my basement. I think it ran about 7k back then. After about 12-14 years, I happened to notice that, upon an electric failure, my sump pump didn't kick in (altho the rest of the house did.) In short, Generac failed to include the sump pump in their original wiring. They came out and corrected things (for no cost, at my insistence), but it just shows that, unless you are extremely careful, going the Generac way is no particular guarantee against the future.
    This doesn't make sense, unless you purchased a unit that wasn't large enough to operate your entire house. I would doubt that a Generac employee actually did the wiring, probably a local electrical contractor. However, when you did discover the error, I supposed you could have gotten genuine factory service--since Brookfield, Wisconsin is only 5 miles from the Generac factory...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thinking smaller/frequency of outages

Our area lost power in a windstorm for close to 72 hours. It would have been a lot easier if they had stopped saying repeatedly that the power would be on in a few hours (when there was no chance it would). I picked up an older 1500 watt Homelite generator after that. It starts pretty easily, is relatively quiet, has a Japanese (Kawasaki?) engine.

All I'm asking it to do is run the furnace when its cold, keep the fridge/freezer cold and maybe charge a RV battery. None of these have to be supplied power continuously. Since I camp I already have a 12 volt converter to run a portable computer or power a light. I realize none of this is as convenient as a bigger unit/transfer switch and if I lived where power outages were more common I would be looking at something like that.

Dave

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Man, just look at this list The 10 Best Propane Generators for 2019 - Review & Rating and choose what suits YOU. You can find all the characteristics, voltage, sizes and etc. It's like the ultimate info. Wish you luck.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SamDreas View Post
    Man, just look at this list [losasso.com — Servers diespammers.com[/url] and choose what suits YOU. You can find all the characteristics, voltage, sizes and etc. It's like the ultimate info. Wish you luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finegrain View Post
    Honda EU3000is here. We lose power regularly owing to the trees. Our generator will go 24 hours on a tank, which is 3.5 gal. I hear our neighbor's generators way better than I hear ours. It is extremely quiet.

It powers (in order of priority):

Coffee maker
    Refrigerator
    Outside freezer
    Few lights
    Internet router
    TV

Regards.

Mike
    Mike,
    Spammer dredged up old post, to drop linky.
    Happens every day.

Hopefully a moderator will come by, and delete the last (3)
    threads.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whoops, sorry