Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gorilla glue and duct tape.
    Fixed.

That’ll be a 12.4 million dollar consultation fee, who should I send the invoice too

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some form of taxation is a necessity, to have a civilization of any sort.

Ask yourself these questions...

What Goods and Services am I going to demand from my government?

What am I willing to pay for those Goods and Services?

Do I have the right to rob my neighbor through excess taxation for the public good?

Sure the list of questions is very long, but eventually tax payers are going to ask themselves several questions...

One of those is

Do I need to fire everyone involved in the bureaucracy who are incompetent ? or start over?

3. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy2 View Post
    I agree that the fracture is stress induced but I think you are grossly underestimating the geological aspects of the area and the bridge and the stresses that this may have the possibility of inducing in this particular bridge and bridge design.

It is very inaccurate to say that the area has had no reported earthquakes. Just because the news network does not mention them does not mean that earthquakes are not occurring there.

The New Madrid fault averages around 200 earthquakes per year. Now these are usually less then 2.5 but they still have a significant effect on structures and all structural designs must be seismically rated. The surface effects of earthquakes in the New Madrid Fault area differ greatly from those that occur say for example on the West Coast. The issue is that due to the overlying sediment, energy from earthquakes in the zone have the effect of turning soils into shaking jello.

Bridges in the area in particular are susceptible to the seismic challenges.

Article from USGS:The New Madrid Seismic Zone
    Yes, the New Madrid seismic zone is inadequately appreciated and vulnerable to a catastrophic event, and yes, you are right that there are hundreds of “events” per year. I should have qualified that to “major event”.

However, I contest that this activity is likely to be a major factor in the failure at hand, because a steel bridge sees orders of magnitude more “quaking” from traffic, the equivalent to dozens of quakes per minute.

Put a seismometer on a bridge and that will clarify things quickly. There are vids on line of the Q train passing over the Manhattan bridge near me, and is that an eye opener! (Look it up if you dare). And yet, this bridge is over a hundred years old , and going strong. Steel bridges are incredibly flexible by nature, and must be allowed to move in the right places.

I my be wrong, and it was shifting of the support structures in unstable ground, but we will likely find out in a few months, so we shall see…

5. Likes sfriedberg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If that bolted on plate was for making that bridge earth quake proof I think that made that section too ridged
    That makes all the bending of the bridge caused by traffic concentrates in a shorter section
    Also If you make such a reinforcing plate at least make them with a V shaped end so you get less concentration of the bending

About taxes
    Simple Look at the countries that have the most taxes and look how they are doing
    I live in the Netherlands We pay a lott of taxes
    But I do not have to worry about health insureance Water safety Flooding safety Infa structure is top notch
    That all costs money And yes some of it gets spilled But that is inherent to big organisations
    You see the same happening in multi nationals
    So I am fine paying that much taxes I do not want to overpay though

Peter

7. Likes SIP6A, ignator, JST, Mark Rand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Do the neighbors just go over and give him a talking to? Do they go over and beat the crap out of him as local justice for his actions?"

back in the day it actually used to work like that. if they cought a thief the paysants got together, got drunk and beat him to death. there was not local authority. (im talking about 1000 years ago, in large territories like ukraine, russia, maybe china etc.)

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post
    (im talking about 1000 years ago, in large territories like ukraine, russia, maybe china etc.)
    1,000 years ago would be Song dynasty .... not one of the highest points but they had soldiers, police, magistrates, and an organized justice system. And tribute, which is about the same thing as taxes

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Simple Look at the countries that have the most taxes and look how they are doing
    But I do not have to worry about health insureance Water safety Flooding safety Infa structure is top notch
    That all costs money And yes some of it gets spilled But that is inherent to big organisations
    So I am fine paying that much taxes I do not want to overpay though"

That's the whole point....few people 'mind' paying taxes. It's the excessive waste that bother people. I don't mean $435 hammers and the stuff the media loves to chase - I mean the hundreds of thousands of people who milk the system and worse yet aren't even part of the system. I know far too many people who are very comfortable in their perception that they are entitled to a living and that 'they' should have to pay for it. "They" being someone other than themselves. These are the people who always have cigs, beer, weed, and scented rear view mirror hangings as well as housing, cars, phones, and all the trappings of modern life.

I'll also be willing to bet that the Netherlands (being a country of evil white people) doesn't have the border issues of the USA. I doubt you have nearly the uncontrolled influx of immigrants, illegal or otherwise. I'd wager that if you added 50% of your country's population in freeloading immigrants to your health care system....you'd find the system ain't so great. In fact, it's already not so great because accordinng to a quick internet search, hardly anyone travels to the Netherlands for health care.

11. Likes Gordon Heaton liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    "Simple Look at the countries that have the most taxes and look how they are doing
    So I am fine paying that much taxes I do not want to overpay though"

That's the whole point....few people 'mind' paying taxes. It's the excessive waste that bother people. I don't mean $435 hammers and the stuff the media loves to chase - I mean the hundreds of thousands of people who milk the system and worse yet aren't even part of the system. I know far too many people who are very comfortable in their perception that they are entitled to a living and that 'they' should have to pay for it. "They" being someone other than themselves. These are the people who always have cigs, beer, weed, and scented rear view mirror hangings as well as housing, cars, phones, and all the trappings of modern life.

I'll also be willing to bet that the Netherlands (being a country of evil white people) doesn't have the border issues of the USA. I doubt you have nearly the uncontrolled influx of immigrants, illegal or otherwise. I'd wager that if you added 50% of your country's population in freeloading immigrants to your health care system....you'd find the system ain't so great. In fact, it's already not so great because accordinng to a quick internet search, hardly anyone travels to the Netherlands for health care.
    yea, the defense corporations sucking billions from our pockets by the minute aren't the worst parasites, blame some brown folk. don't you know the old trick of divide and plunder? don't be a sheeple, think for your self.

13. Likes pavt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Every rich country attracks people who have it less Do not expect otherwise
    That is the burden of being rich
    How many of these far too many people you know are US citizen and how many are not part of the system as you call it
    And howmany illigal immigrants do have a low paying job that does not pay enough to attrack US citizens
    Those people are in fact part of the system in my opinion They provide a service to your community
    Could the US survive without their cheep laborforce ???
    In the Netherlands at least the percentage of illigal immigrants with a job is very small

Peter

15. Likes cyanidekid, pavt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    Could the US survive without their cheep laborforce ???
    In the Netherlands at least the percentage of illigal immigrants with a job is very small

Peter
    At one time (1950's-1960's)the USA did just fine without a cheap labor force. It could do OK again. But the upper class would take a hard hit. Everyone else would prosper. Just like they did back then. It all depends on who is buying the politicians. I like to remind people that things are the way they are because somebody is making a *lot* of power and money off the system being the way it is.
    incomes-1970-truth.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    1,000 years ago would be Song dynasty .... not one of the highest points but they had soldiers, police, magistrates, and an organized justice system. And tribute, which is about the same thing as taxes
    except that it took the "inspector" three weeks to arrive on the scene, just saying.

as to immigrants/refugees (legal or nor), dont underestimate the european situation, theres more than enough, as mass rallies in many countries indicate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Yow

F'n drones they see everything

I have a question about 'an' inspector being fired.

Surely there is a crew that inspects the bridge, or it would take all year to do an annual inspection

21. Likes Mark Rand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This story has a pic of the beam with a guy straddling it, for scale.
    Arkansas investigating earlier evidence of I-40 bridge fracture

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pavt View Post
    At one time (1950's-1960's)the USA did just fine without a cheap labor force. It could do OK again. But the upper class would take a hard hit. Everyone else would prosper. Just like they did back then. It all depends on who is buying the politicians. I like to remind people that things are the way they are because somebody is making a *lot* of power and money off the system being the way it is.
    incomes-1970-truth.jpg
    History also has a way of forgetting the bad and remembering the good.

My Opa immigrated here (North America - Canada) from Holland in the 1950s. He spent the first 4 years of his life in this country digging ditches, by hand, to barely feed his family. The first year of his life here he lived in a chicken coup. He is only one of many.

A cheap labour force isn't a new concept and existed back then as it does now.

24. Likes woodchuckNJ, sfriedberg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by enginuity View Post

My Opa immigrated here (North America - Canada) from Holland in the 1950s. He spent the first 4 years of his life in this country digging ditches, by hand, to barely feed his family. The first year of his life here he lived in a chicken coup. He is only one of many.

Cheap labor as a permanent underclass is a different thing.

26. Likes JST liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post
    except that it took the "inspector" three weeks to arrive on the scene, just saying.
    Don't know, wasn't there. But if you were, I have some questions

As far as the original statement goes, in all the excitement I kinda forgot it but as far as China not having a legal system with police and magistrates and all 1000 years ago,

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia on kaihuang lu
    The Kaihuang Code contains a total of twelve chapters which in turn contain 500 statutes. Compared to the previous laws, 80 capital offences no longer appear along with 154 crimes for which banishment was formerly the punishment. More than one thousand offences for which imprisonment and caning were previously prescribed were also removed from the statute book. The primary sources of the changes were the published laws of the Northern Qi and Northern Zhou Dynasties, whilst in the table of contents there are entries for precedents (名例), restrictions on weaponry (卫禁), regulation of government offices (职制), marriage (户婚), barns and warehouses (厩库), dispatch of armies without authority (擅兴), theft and robbery (贼盗 also written as 盗贼), litigation (斗讼), fraudulent practices (诈伪), miscellaneous laws (杂律), capture of evaders (捕亡) and 12 chapters on judging cases (断狱). A number of legal procedures useful for the common people are also listed, for example miscarriages of justice could be individually appealed all the way to the Imperial court.
    This was a 580 A.D. reform of the 260 B.C. codes of Qin Shi Huang and even today the basis for Chinese law, so ... whatever.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by enginuity View Post

....Polish officer served under the Brits in N Africa and then later Italy. Post war in Britain was viewed as a burden and unable to return to Poland immigrated to Canada working as a laborer to expand sugar beet farms. Slowly but surely made his way to the U.S. did well. Great man. Did what was needed to get ahead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Don't know, wasn't there. But if you were, I have some questions

As far as the original statement goes, in all the excitement I kinda forgot it but as far as China not having a legal system with police and magistrates and all 1000 years ago,

This was a 580 A.D. reform of the 260 B.C. codes of Qin Shi Huang and even today the basis for Chinese law, so ... whatever.

Hammurabi had a code of laws in 1800 BC.... so what?