Login to Your Account
Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Do you really think that they have to cut the grass around them? I've seen mostly hay being cut around them but that isn't because it is in the way. It's because they can make money on the wind power and the hay.
    Using hydrocarbons to harvest feed for methane producing Bovines ?

It waffles the mind....of environazis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wp6529 View Post
    We are NOT in lockdown, and at least some of us have had the covid vaccine (not just the elites). There is nothing wrong with going on vacation, particularly if you still take suitable precautions in public.
    After all trump found time to play maybe a thousand rounds of golf while our country was falling apart at the seams. Tell the boss next time you don't feel like showing up for work that you just needed a vacation and see how that works out for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd like to see a video of this de-icing operation. Otherwise it will just be chalked up to a photoshop job.
    Sure looks Photoshoped!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Using hydrocarbons to harvest feed for methane producing Bovines ?

It waffles the mind....of environazis.
    I kind of got a chuckle of driving through Texas and seeing all of those wind turbines with the land around them being farmed for crops and oil. I remember the oil people just screaming bloody murder about wind and solar...until they figured out how to profit from them.

5. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd like to see a video of this de-icing operation. Otherwise it will just be chalked up to a photoshop job.
    Like this one: Alpine Helicopter De-Icing - YouTube
    Last edited by reggie_obe; 02-18-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After all trump found time to play maybe a thousand rounds of golf while our country was falling apart at the seams. Tell the boss next time you don't feel like showing up for work that you just needed a vacation and see how that works out for you.
    The only "falling apart at the seams" has been the hand wringing left wing crowd. Up until the covid hit the US was doing quite well, better than it had been in years thanks to Trump working for the American People's interests and not those of the "international community" as his predecessors had.

PS: I don't think that Covid originated in China, I think it was just detected there first. I think the Covid came from the drums of Saddam's bio weapons buried in the desert since the mid '90s finally rusting through...

8. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    You really are a piece of work. Biden has been president for almost one month. The Republicans have controlled Texas for decades. They ignored federal warnings about weaknesses in their electric grid after a major freeze in 1989, same thing in 2011, and most likely they will ignore it again after this one in 2021. Must be because of the windmills.

Yeah, it's all Joe Biden's fault.
    Wait for it: "WHAAAAA WHAAA where's bidens BIRTH CERTIFICATE!!!!"

Oh forgot. Rush's dead. Some folks spread joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go.

At least he won't need a lighter to ignite his big fat cigars where he is now.

10. Likes JoeE., Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    That's what I was looking for. It isn't in Texas though so I don't understand why it got posted here except that we have some right wingers who don't know much about geography and also are willing to try to fool people into believing things that aren't true.

12. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only "falling apart at the seams" has been the hand wringing left wing crowd. Up until the covid hit the US was doing quite well, better than it had been in years thanks to Trump working for the American People's interests and not those of the "international community" as his predecessors had.

PS: I don't think that Covid originated in China, I think it was just detected there first. I think the Covid came from the drums of Saddam's bio weapons buried in the desert since the mid '90s finally rusting through...
    If you look at a little bit of history, when Obama took office our country was on the verge of another depression but ended up ONLY getting a great recession. trump walked into a dream economy so it wasn't his doing that our economy was still booming like it was when he took office. How blind can a person be?

14. Likes JoeE., Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It looks like Texas is fine according to rick perry: Perry says Texans willing to suffer blackouts to keep feds out of power market

16. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you look at a little bit of history, when Obama took office our country was on the verge of another depression but ended up ONLY getting a great recession. trump walked into a dream economy so it wasn't his doing that our economy was still booming like it was when he took office. How blind can a person be?
    The only blind are the willful blind on the far left. Those of us who do not have liberal blinders on understand that there can be no national soverignty without economic soverignty. We fully understand that after many decades of criminal level market manipulation and piss poor trade agreements it will take some time and economic pain to unpick that damage. Pre Covid the US was indeed seeing those decades old problems being addresses, more US based manufacturing returning and overall progress in the correct direction despite the necessary inflation from it. This was not Obamas doing and you can bet that traitor Joe and company will be moving as quickly as possible to derail that progress before the average farcebook brainwashed voter figures out the truth.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The weather and the third world 30on/15off power have certainly been annoying here in N. TX, but my family and I continue to be warm and have warm meals because we are reasonably prepared for such contingencies. I can't say I have much sympathy for those who are so unprepared for much of anything that they don't even have a pantry stocked with some basic canned food, nor the skill to heat such over a candle if need be. And yes, hauling feed and water to the critters in this weather leaves a lot to be desired, but it gets done nonetheless.
    I used to live near lake Michigan where we got "lake effect" snow. I've been caught with my pants down before. I was driving a pontiac sunbird, low to the ground and little tires. Anyways, I was *supposed* to go to the grocery store after work on a Friday. I decided to put it off until the next day. Woke up to 12"+ of snow. Couldn't get out of my apartment complex in that POS car. Had a couple cans of soup, and worst of all, NO BEER. Ended walking to the closest convenience store and what a haul that was. Walking on the side of the highway after the trucks plowed so the snow was probably closer to 1.5' feet deep, mixed in with dirty road slush.

Living in FL we keep a hurricane kit (canned goods, batteries, flashlights, etc) and a spare propane tank for the grill. BUT I could understand living somewhere it rarely snows and being caught off guard.

19. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It seems some members here seem to be getting joy out of the failed Texas power grid, can't beat that for being pathetic.

21. Likes digger doug, Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    It seems some members here seem to be getting joy out of the failed Texas power grid, can't beat that for being pathetic.
    Common trait for Michigan lefties....misery loves company sort of thing. Take a look at the clown face Governor they voted into office.........

23. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Too many to quote but funny about the cattle and wind mills. Part of the solar offer was wind mills instead with continued grazing rights. For me, I might be more inclined to take the solar offer as I am getting old and not sure how long I want to be a cowboy after hours.

Can not understand the beef with beef. There were millions of buffalo here, now we got cows, whats the difference?
    Some big wig said yesterday to start eating fake meat to save the planet. Give me a break.

On being prepared with winter clothes. I have a bag of extra clothes by the door in case we get toned out for a fire call. Had a fire truck parked by the front door of the shop for years. Now my personal truck is there and the fire truck is parked in my heated and insulated garage.

If we can make it til 5:00PM it will be 24 hours solid WITH electricity. Wowsers!

Took a minute to find the photo. Irrigation gun next to the old fire truck. No need to plug it in as the garage is heated.

guncart.jpg

25. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Wait for it: "WHAAAAA WHAAA where's bidens BIRTH CERTIFICATE!!!!"

Oh forgot. Rush's dead. Some folks spread joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go.

At least he won't need a lighter to ignite his big fat cigars where he is now.
    You know Jim That one is just terrible. We would have never made fun of you the day the music died.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Too many to quote but funny about the cattle and wind mills. Part of the solar offer was wind mills instead with continued grazing rights. For me, I might be more inclined to take the solar offer as I am getting old and not sure how long I want to be a cowboy after hours.

Can not understand the beef with beef. There were millions of buffalo here, now we got cows, whats the difference?
    Some big wig said yesterday to start eating fake meat to save the planet. Give me a break.

On being prepared with winter clothes. I have a bag of extra clothes by the door in case we get toned out for a fire call. Had a fire truck parked by the front door of the shop for years. Now my personal truck is there and the fire truck is parked in my heated and insulated garage.

If we can make it til 5:00PM it will be 24 hours solid WITH electricity. Wowsers!
    You did plug in the firetruck ?...

I always wonder why these solar installs are like 5' off the ground....

Put about 10' under it, and then I can park my vehicles under them, and not have
    to pay taxes on the new carport.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know anyone affected frustrated but how often does this weather event occur in Texas?
    How much money does one put in for backups for a once in ten year or once in 100 year event ad who pays for it sitting idle the rest of the time.

Let's say that that once very five years your shop gets slammed with a huge amount of orders all at once.
    Do you buy enough mills and lathes to keep up with this crazy rate and then let many of them sit idle the next 4.7 years?
    This would be a luxury all would like to have but not very economical.

I asked but did not see an answer to one question. (or I missed it)
    In a 'rolling blackout" is this an intentional shutdown and do you get a warning so that you are not in the middle of cut when it happens or is it more a "cascading system failure", out of control or prediction?
    Bob

29. Likes neilho, CAMasochism liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I know anyone affected frustrated but how often does this weather event occur in Texas?
    How much money does one put in for backups for a once in ten year or once in 100 year event ad who pays for it sitting idle the rest of the time.

Let's say that that once very five years your shop gets slammed with a huge amount of orders all at once.
    Do you buy enough mills and lathes to keep up with this crazy rate and then let many of them sit idle the next 4.7 years?
    Bob
    1983 the last time. See post 209.

I see you edited you post with another question.

Just looked at your post again, we got no warning or notification. Our power just went off like a light switch had been tripped, usually a downed line blinks or something. We called and left messages with the power company the first few times before we figured out they were doing it on purpose. Some here mentioned getting texts or robo calls about the time it happened. A little warning would have helped. But I think the failure came as a cascade event with not time to react on the local power company's part.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post

Bob
    Yes, the preparations need to be reasonable. On an individual level, maintaining a properly stocked pantry is very reasonable. The generator and fuel also very reasonable as they are used regularly working around the property, not just sitting there for a rare outage.