State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    Nah it’s just god punishing Texas for ted
    Crazy stuff...

Cali libs either burn to death in wildfires due to shitty power lies, and then freeze to death after fleeing to Texas because of no power.

Guess the survivors could go for the trifecta and check into an old age home in New York state.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 1989, punishing cold weather that caused power failures across the state led to a federal study that spelled out how to avoid such a disaster in the future by winterizing equipment the way more northern power companies do.

In 2011, after Arctic weather caused a series of rolling blackouts, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) produced another report that warned Texas power companies and regulators again that they had to winterize their equipment. “The single largest problem during the cold weather event was the freezing of instrumentation and equipment,” it said.

JANUARY 6, 2014 | 10:46 AM

At the heart of the energy emergency that brought Texas to the brink of rolling blackouts this morning was the failure of power plants to provide electricity when the state needed it, says the state grid operator. That included two plants in North Central Texas that suffered equipment failure caused by freezing weather.

why?

because stupid

3. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

generators, to sell any of their power, often bid their power so low they don’t make a profit. Some generators, strapped for cash, began to defer maintenance. Others played an even smarter game by closing power plants or not building new capacity to serve the growing population of Texas. As demand inexorably increased, they could look forward to charging more for their electricity because there was less of it. Really, not much different than what Enron did in the California electricity market in 2000-2001. Except that market manipulation was illegal in California, but not in Texas, thanks to ERCOT. It was destined to come crashing down, and the polar vortex of 2021 was the assault that finally broke the Texas grid.

5. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wp6529 View Post
    The economy "grew" through smoke and mirrors much like the "Quantitative Easing" manipulation, it was a house of cards, not real sustainable growth and the foundations continued to crumble.

You can not have a stable soverign economy if you do not produce the vast majority of what you consume. Foreign trade is good, but must be held to a relatively low level and kept balanced.

You cannot survive if you outsource everything you feel you are too good for, something that is very much in line with leftist thinking and rather racist too. Other countries have their own engineers and scientists and eventually will no longer be buying anything from your "knowledge economy" and then what will you trade them for all the essentials you need but felt you were too good to produce yourself?
    1870 called, it wants its economic theory back

go back to school

traitortrump complained that the interest rates weren't low enough to help him win reelection

because personal power is all he cared about

he inherited a growing economy and trashed it

get back to reality

7. Likes woodchuckNJ, JohnEvans, JoeE., Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    He flew to Cancun with his daughters. Once they were safely there Ted flew back on the next flight.
    Uhh, yeah, cause planes to Cancun are so dangerous

Once the political fallout reached him he flew right back

9. Likes woodchuckNJ, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a severe cold spell in the Southwest in 2011, and frigid weather in 1983, 1989, 2003, 2006, 2008 and 2010. A study by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and the North American Electric Reliability Corp. of the 2011 event, which also led to widespread blackouts for much the same reasons, found that “the massive amount of generator failures that were experienced raises the question whether it would have been helpful to increase reserve levels going into the event. This action would have brought more units online earlier, might have prevented some of the freezing problems the generators experienced, and could have exposed operational problems in time to implement corrections before the units were needed to meet customer demand.”

bobblehead politics: history what history? we will make the same mistakes over and over, and this time, blame it on liberals

11. Likes woodchuckNJ liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    In 1989, punishing cold weather that caused power failures across the state led to a federal study that spelled out how to avoid such a disaster in the future by winterizing equipment the way more northern power companies do.

In 2011, after Arctic weather caused a series of rolling blackouts, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) produced another report that warned Texas power companies and regulators again that they had to winterize their equipment. “The single largest problem during the cold weather event was the freezing of instrumentation and equipment,” it said.

JANUARY 6, 2014 | 10:46 AM

At the heart of the energy emergency that brought Texas to the brink of rolling blackouts this morning was the failure of power plants to provide electricity when the state needed it, says the state grid operator. That included two plants in North Central Texas that suffered equipment failure caused by freezing weather.

why?

because stupid
    That is a very revealing document, thank you for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Uhh, yeah, cause planes to Cancun are so dangerous

Once the political fallout reached him he flew right back
    Why would politics enter the picture ? your above report clearly shows the private sector dropped the ball.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuckNJ View Post
    I noticed when my son was in school (an engineering school) that most were of Asian decent. My mom's husband said that when he went to multiple graduations of his grandkids, that there were many Asians as well.
    I sure would like someone on the left who constantly portrays other minorities as victims of the evil white man how Asians have done so well in this country. In spite of being pretty much slaves used to build the railroads, to being held in camps during WW2, among other things, they have surpassed that evil white man in terms of earnings, education and abiding the laws of the land. How did that happen?

14. Likes tdmidget, JohnEvans liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    Crazy stuff...

Cali libs either burn to death in wildfires due to shitty power lies, and then freeze to death after fleeing to Texas because of no power.

Guess the survivors could go for the trifecta and check into an old age home in New York state.
    Idiot Gavin Newsome blames the California wildfires on climate change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mention was made of all the times the Texas grid failed. I have been here all those years and did not loose electricity. Maybe I slept though it or it was in isolated regions.

On the news this morning it was said the grid was moments away from a catastrophic failure that would have taken months to recover from. So I guess one could be glad they shed the load and saved the grid.

Looks like many of the operators did their job and were prepared. After I left Seguin (yes that is spelled correctly) someone built a merchant natural gas generator there. Driving by it they have invested millions in it. I understand its purpose was to come on line during high use times. If they had a contract to purchase gas in an emergency and the gas is not there what do you do? The plant is staffed and maintained when not needed, yeah the gotta charge more for their power when they do make it. Their price is diluted with the regular priced electricity.

I have a friend that is an operator at the south Texas lignite plant, I just heard he worked several double shifts. I will give him an "attaboy" the next time I see him. Maybe I will hear some of the "rest of the story"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Better than Trump blaming it on pine needle someone did not rake up. One of our local firefighter's son went to help in California after he came back he mentioned the undergrowth and how they had to fight fires in it that would not go out. If you are not there how can you understand the problem. Pine needles, I heard him say that. Not saying he was any smarter or dumber than the rest of the ilk. Better to talk to someone that has been there.

18. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

The latest fire service adverts are blaming R.V. owners...."dragging safety chains".
    Not a word about keeping the tinderbox dry stuff removed along the highway.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    That is a very revealing document, thank you for posting it.

Why would politics enter the picture ? your above report clearly shows the private sector dropped the ball.
    Because with gusty EVERYTHING is about politics.

21. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Better than Trump blaming it on pine needle someone did not rake up. One of our local firefighter's son went to help in California after he came back he mentioned the undergrowth and how they had to fight fires in it that would not go out. If you are not there how can you understand the problem. Pine needles, I heard him say that. Not saying he was any smarter or dumber than the rest of the ilk. Better to talk to someone that has been there.
    Newsome is an idiot. California had drought and fire season a hundred plus years before anyone thought up the phrases global warming and climate change. A huge percentage of the fires are purposely set by arsonists or by carelessness. I lived in the state 50 years. I used to cut firewood on National Forest land in California 40 years ago, even though it is federal land it's management has a lot of local influence. Preventing the chance of devastating fires is pretty low on the list of priorities. A lot of standing dead timber is left to preserve views and wildlife habitat. They don't allow people to clear brush like they used to. The devastating Old Fire in the San Bernardino was the result of decades of land mismanagement and of course was set by an arsonist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The latest fire service adverts are blaming R.V. owners...."dragging safety chains".
    Not a word about keeping the tinderbox dry stuff removed along the highway.....
    Off road users do set their handful of fires, mostly from stopping in dry high brush. They are just a drop in the bucket compared to arsonists. The arsonists in California seem to set fires in bunches, like when they see a fire on the news it triggers an impulse. It isn't rare to have a half dozen or more fires going at once all set by different fire bugs.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Off road users do set their handful of fires, mostly from stopping in dry high brush. They are just a drop in the bucket compared to arsonists. The arsonists in California seem to set fires in bunches, like when they see a fire on the news it triggers an impulse. It isn't rare to have a half dozen or more fires going at once all set by different fire bugs.
    ...and one of the worst arsonist is/was a demented dis-gruntled federal park ranger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll believe in climate change when Texas freezes over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, the private sector operated perfectly. The utilities' actions allowed the highest ROI for their investors. They're not
    in the business of keeping folks safe in a storm. They're in the business of making money. When all this is over,
    there will be no changes to their business model.

Unless the big bad gooberment makes them. And in texas? Nope.

27. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how many are running portable generators to power the fridge.....

29. Likes mhajicek, JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sure would like someone on the left who constantly portrays other minorities as victims of the evil white man how Asians have done so well in this country. In spite of being pretty much slaves used to build the railroads, to being held in camps during WW2, among other things, they have surpassed that evil white man in terms of earnings, education and abiding the laws of the land. How did that happen?
    because Americans are lazy, stupid people. Look at our kids... they elevate to celebrities... who created that... we did.

I am now un-employed at 63... lost my job to an Asian in July. He was not that smart, but that didn't matter and was not the only reason I lost the job. A trumper was the predominent reason, he felt threatened by my views not supporting donny douche bag... Some Asians are extremely smart, some not so smart. I am not bitter to him, I am to my former management for buying into the trumpers complaint that he felt threatened. He was younger, about 6 inches taller, and he felt threatened.... I never did threaten him. But I always spoke up when he presented his conspiracy theories and lies...

Anyway, I blame society in general... we have gotten fat , stupid, privileged. Other societies are still hungry to make it... we are not.

In the early 2000s I could not believe how bad the help was, they had no clue, they were not motivated. In the

31. Likes JoeE. liked this post