Page 38 of 61 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

QT: [there's no money in it for the tds folks out there orwells 84 is alive and well in 2021 its your money do with it what you will but keep your hands off my stack jack.]

Lost jobs, high energy prices, high taxes, more people eating up the Social Security funds that Americans funded will be the way they will take our country right out from under us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, the EB-5 program. US citizenship for $500,000, not very many questions asked.

Jay Peak

Miami scumbubble businessman and South Korean bioentrepreneur (who needs to get out of South Korea because he's under investigation for corruption, eventually house arrest) buy Jay Peak ski resort, get a bunch of EB-5 money with the help of heavy promotion by the state and say they're gonna start a huge bio technology project in the Northeast Kingdom of VT. Local government spends money they don't really have to improve the downtown waterfront, extend sewers, etc, big groundbreaking ceremony, then nada. $80 million disappeared, mostly into yachts, misc personal pockets and Miami real estate. Still playing out in the courts, but the mastermind looks to be headed to the slammer for 8 years, more local folks will be doing lesser time, predictably turning on each other. South Korean still at large.

Investors got their citizenships, though. Meanwhile, the Salvadorean whose family has been shot is turned away at the border. Go figger.

3. Likes dalmatiangirl61, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    EB-5 visa - Wikipedia

I dislike wikipedia but at least you don't have to block ten *.cdn.* domains when you go there

Apparently it's up to $900,000 in a depressed area now, or 2 mil in a normal spot. Was a half mil in a place like Deetroit, hi Bob

The attraction was in the lowest cost road, for the people we heard from. Had a couple of ideas that could have been a benefit but didn't work out. Naturally, no fatass legislator or lawyer would have made any money, just some poor people.

Of course, looking at the wiki page Congress just had to butcher an okay idea so their buddies could cut a fat hog. The "regional process center" is that tool. Glass-Steagal was 23 pages and worked, Barney Frank 2,000+ and does nothing.

wtf can you say ? I wish the bin Laden Boys had hit Congress instead of the wtc. I'd happily take every single one of those venal worthless bastards and flush them. Or line them up against a wall ... pieces of shit they are, unh-hunh, unh-hunh.

I swear, just about everything you look at in the governance of the US now makes you want to throw up. Can those assholes do anything right ?
    Well it might be that a over educated snob or poser would present not to use Wikipedia when in fact being a discerning user in actuality at the same time.

If they have even graduated middle school in honest fashion they would be able to take what they need and sift through the minor issues which arise. Wikipedia is a self cleaning site which has many who are qualified that actively take the role of ensuring accuracy of information.

Might be or may not be. I just am saying a lot of persons down on using it actually do in fact use it themselves and disparage others on doing so because they are actually hypocrites. They feel they are allowed because they are smart enough to handle it whereas everyone else are drooling brain dead coffee shop haunters.

What many people’s real problem is themselves they feel what they do is flawless as their sites seem valid and many times they are as flawed as their thinking process.

This is the nature of freedom of information and a free thinker. They exist together just fine if finding the truth is even of average concern.

Most everyone that I know who is even interested in learning has and will continue to use on accession Wikipedia as it has a life of its own and does not require anyone’s approval to be valuable even to the most learned.

The most learned people do not shiver with any cold at all they navigate and are used to navigating the world they live in even though there are wrong things to be found every time they get out of bed in the morning. They just deal with it.

They do not berate others in a attempt to display their superiority or to inflate their ego. That is if they are a balanced rational human being without psychological blocks or disorders.

Most are using it anyway and can control it fine. It is not dangerous at all anymore than going into a bar and ordering a beer would be dangerous for most people. There are much less distractors in fact than there are users of any 20 people who complain about it. I think somehow wiki should ban such heretics if they can not handle it then leave and grow up a bit and then reapply for re-entry.

5. Likes fusker liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Dumping a half million dollars and ten jobs into some slum in Oakland in exchange for a guy with probably education and skills getting a green card, that doesn't sound like an okay thing to you ?

I'm sorry but to my way of thinking, the biggest mistake in recent years immigration-wise was Teddy Kennedy's push to switch from skills-and-talent-oriented residence to relative-oriented. Just because you are the cousin of a citizen doesn't mean you yourself will make a good addition to the country, imo.

Diversity is our strength ... https://youtu.be/QE3D3TEZDD4
    Ok yet you assume that these people are good people with money gained through skill and good business acumen. The whole idea of a bribe so to speak or a valid trade are the intentions of the parties.

While you clamor for basic civil rights and push against persons being left behind due to racism you then look favorably to a person who throws money around? I wonder if it is a good trade and I have to ask is that fair to the innocent person fleeing a bad environment yearning to be free?

For me looking at this view being presented and my personal convictions which are in fact far from racist what I see happening is the whole money buys special privileges. It can be a fair trade. Someone from the United States might wish to bring their Chinese business partner in after working with them learning how to move American business to China for example. These robber barons which include Americans selling out their own country just to earn money are low life scum.

So they could help people like this or even people like the totalitarian dictators fleeing their country when they are run out. Having money they shop for a place to live rightly or wrongly money and influence and using that gets them opportunities a impoverished person could never have. Is this what you promote?

I do not disagree with fair trade offs really yet as a rule when this starts it is abused most likely. Many who destroyed their own country were run out after being overthrown like the Shah. I kind of liked the guy if he could have had some good mentor ship he might have avoided being overthrown. Many are as controversial as him for example. The concept that enough money makes anything alright is a common belief which is unbecoming to a activist with such a loud constant and glib manner. Basically using needless jabbering and multidirectional diatribes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Bullshit! I've lost track of the number of cousins that have come to America legally, the only thing that differentiates the legal from illegal arrivals is money.

I think most of you are a bunch of damn Yankees that don't know what you are talking about and have never set foot on the border. Prior to 2001 there were border crossings in Texas that were completely unmanned, if the river was low you could walk across or drive, if the river was flowing there was a ferry boat, operated by a Mexican family, no border guards to be seen. Few miles into town for cheap beer and good food, did it more than a few times myself.

I know how my family got to the USA, I can trace my roots from Texas, to Mexico, to Kentucky, it gets a little muddy past that. How about you?

“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
    With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

The poem was affixed in 1903 and had nothing to do with the statue. The final version of the statue has a shackle on her leg and a broken chain, symbolizing the end of slavery. The rising white supremacy movement had the poem placed there to hide that symbolism. The statue had nothing to do with immigration.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Have you ever been out of Michigan? Like the Southwest where you can drive for a hundred miles and see almost no signs of human life except for what is on the highways? I'm not advocating all of the people of South America coming here and I don't think anyone else is advocating that either. But your comments sounds like trumps speech about how "we're full". That's total BS.
    Yes, I lived in the Southwest. You mention no sign of human life for a hundred miles. You do realize there are reasons for that don't you?

Lack of potable water is a big one. Areas lack sufficient rain fall to grow crops unless you have irrigation rights. No feed no raising of livestock.

But yeah go ahead and simply drop human beings off in the middle of nowhere. Why not resettle your great City of Detroit? Most certainly plenty of room to replace the tens of thousands who abandoned that shit hole.

9. Likes Dualkit, reggie_obe, 72bwhite liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've spent a fair amount of time living near the border in the winter time and plan to do even more of that. It seems odd that people from Wisconsin and the upper east coast are so concerned about the brown people down south.

Yeah "Big B" we know how you Michigan liberals set the standard for helping minorities live the American dream.

"Worst places to live in America: 6 Michigan cities make list" is just one hit if you do a search for " Michigan worst place for minorities".

Maybe try to clean up your own back yard before lecturing others.

11. Likes Trueturning, tdmidget, Dualkit, reggie_obe liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    Yes, I lived in the Southwest. You mention no sign of human life for a hundred miles. You do realize there are reasons for that don't you?

Lack of potable water is a big one. Areas lack sufficient rain fall to grow crops unless you have irrigation rights. No feed no raising of livestock.

But yeah go ahead and simply drop human beings off in the middle of nowhere. Why not resettle your great City of Detroit? Most certainly plenty of room to replace the tens of thousands who abandoned that shit hole.
    I understand Siberia is wide open for settlement also.

13. Likes tdmidget, reggie_obe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you ever been out of Michigan? Like the Southwest where you can drive for a hundred miles and see almost no signs of human life except for what is on the highways? I'm not advocating all of the people of South America coming here and I don't think anyone else is advocating that either. But your comments sounds like trumps speech about how "we're full". That's total BS.

How much water did you see out there in those lonely miles? People need that y'know.

15. Likes 72bwhite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
    The poem was affixed in 1903 and had nothing to do with the statue. The final version of the statue has a shackle on her leg and a broken chain, symbolizing the end of slavery. The rising white supremacy movement had the poem placed there to hide that symbolism. The statue had nothing to do with immigration.
    Educate thyself The New Colossus - Wikipedia

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She wrote it to raise money. She had no say in the statues meaning or symbolism. That was from the artist and the French government and they celebrated the end of slavery. That is why it was 19 years before it was associated with statue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How much water did you see out there in those lonely miles? People need that y'know.
    It depends on which part of the desert you are in, where I live the water table is about 50 feet down, the surface is parched dry with nothing but scattered sage and rabbit brush. We have been fighting to keep Las Vegas from building a pipeline to steal our water for 20 years. What is the name of that aquifer east of Flagstaff, the one that only that coal fired power plant gets to use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She wrote it to raise money. She had no say in the statues meaning or symbolism. That was from the artist and the French government and they celebrated the end of slavery. That is why it was 19 years before it was associated with statue.
    She wrote it to raise money for the building of the pedestal for "Lady Liberty", and it was her interpretation of the symbol immigrants would see. Yes, the French artist created it for another reason, but as is common in art, the public interpreted it differently. It was not affixed to the base until 1903, I do not find anything about white supremist involvement in getting the plaque placed, do you have a source on that? And yes, its just a sonnet, not a law.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't been following this thread closely but based on the most recent posts I have to ask ...

Are there rolling blackouts at the Statue of Liberty?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It depends on which part of the desert you are in, where I live the water table is about 50 feet down, the surface is parched dry with nothing but scattered sage and rabbit brush. We have been fighting to keep Las Vegas from building a pipeline to steal our water for 20 years.
    Good luck. The farmers and others of Owens Valley, Ca. weren't so lucky in their fight with with the LA Water Commission.

22. Likes neilho liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It depends on which part of the desert you are in, where I live the water table is about 50 feet down, the surface is parched dry with nothing but scattered sage and rabbit brush. We have been fighting to keep Las Vegas from building a pipeline to steal our water for 20 years. What is the name of that aquifer east of Flagstaff, the one that only that coal fired power plant gets to use?

"Potable water"---safe drinking water is the main issue. Areas such as the Navajo Nation lack infrastructure and other areas simply have water that is contaminated by minerals and pollution from various sources. Many areas the only safe water is trucked in.

24. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Potable water"---safe drinking water is the main issue. Areas such as the Navajo Nation lack infrastructure and other areas simply have water that is contaminated by minerals and pollution from various sources. Many areas the only safe water is trucked in.
    The Navajo Nation sits on top of a fairly large aquifer, but it is deep, and they do lack infrastructure. Many of the Navajo choose to live in remote locations, and it is not cost efficient to drill a well for a single residence. There are numerous wells on the Navajo Nation, the pipes from them lead to the Navajo Generating Station, which just recently closed, it will be interesting to see what they do with the water.
    USGS Map of the Principal Aquifers of the United States

Navajo Generating Station - Wikipedia

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    .... free leaseshold's ...
    Looks like 'ol jim lives the free live of ease in termite's brain. Scanning around there, though, it's slim pickings for brightness. Is there a knob in here to turn that up a bit?

27. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Navajo Nation sits on top of a fairly large aquifer, but it is deep, and they do lack infrastructure. Many of the Navajo choose to live in remote locations, and it is not cost efficient to drill a well for a single residence. There are numerous wells on the Navajo Nation, the pipes from them lead to the Navajo Generating Station, which just recently closed, it will be interesting to see what they do with the water.
    USGS Map of the Principal Aquifers of the United States

Navajo Generating Station - Wikipedia
    Also....Four Corners and San Juan although I don't know what impact they have on the water supply. The Navajo Nation also operates a large ag operation near Farmington but I believe that depends on river water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also....Four Corners and San Juan although I don't know what impact they have on the water supply. The Navajo Nation also operates a large ag operation near Farmington but I believe that depends on river water.

San Juan has 2 of 4 units shut down. 4 corners has 3 of 5 destroyed and the remaining 2 (1600 MW) scheduled to shutdown in 5 years. Navaho is completely shut down and destroyed (2400 MW). You may not only have a water problem but also an electricity problem. Cholla has 2 units shut down and is only producing a bit over 200 MW.

Now about these wonderful aquifers. How will they be recharged with a rain fall of 12-15 inches/year? I have lived in Tucson 25 years and we have many years with less than 8 inches total rainfall. At my house a prickly pear can be like a soda cracker. Face it the water is just not here. Up there you have snow melt for 6-8 weeks/year and that is pretty much it. This ain't Texas.