Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
    I guess it's your reading comprehension then. He never said he makes cranes. He said his product was used on cranes. I'll guess another miniature wind turbine called an anemometer.
    Even if all he makes is the sticker that goes on the side, he's talking with the people who actually do the thing. As such he knows more than a rando with a meme.

2. Likes kb0thn, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Saw some videos of electricity arching on the lines because the draw from everyone trying to turn on heat at the same time was too much - so its just not the ability to generate but the grid to supply.

On a separate thread on reddit about California and Massachusetts passing law that all new cars after 2035 had to be zero emissions a California resident was asking how everyone is going to charge their car (assuming electric is predominant) everyday on the grid that currently has rolling blackouts when people try to use their AC on hot days.

4. Likes JST liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by norb View Post
    I like green power but the simple truth is it is not super reliable right now..
    He says with no facts or support whatsoever

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How would you like to pat $9,000 kw/h ? Instead of 5 to 7 cents kw/h. Well, one electrical provider is stuck with paying this and urging all of their customers to dump them fast! This don't look good for us down here in Texas!!!

Texas power retailer Griddy to customers in face of freeze: Please, leave us

Here's another article on why the power grid went down.

What went wrong with the Texas power grid?

So far, I haven't lost power at my place. Lots of the city near me are out of power. Been chasing water pipes to keep them from freezing. Almost a lost cause down here.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryd View Post
    Saw some videos of electricity arching on the lines because the draw from everyone trying to turn on heat at the same time was too much - so its just not the ability to generate but the grid to supply.

On a separate thread on reddit about California and Massachusetts passing law that all new cars after 2035 had to be zero emissions a California resident was asking how everyone is going to charge their car (assuming electric is predominant) everyday on the grid that currently has rolling blackouts when people try to use their AC on hot days.
    Well that got 15 years to build power plants and transmission lines. I have one (transmission line) across my place. I am used to the noise they make when the humidity is high, a lot of a leakage occurs with a crackling sound. The other day I was under it and could hear the lines humming, I guess they were near capacity. My guess is a lot of the transmission losses are from leakage across the insulators. On a real dark night you can see the flashes and on any night you can see it with a night vision scope.

On the green thing if your electricity comes from fossil fuels an electric car adds more green house gases than an efficient gasoline car. You start adding up transmission losses, charging and discharging losses and the math does not make sense. It will be cheaper because the utility buys bulk fuel but not greener.

8. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Somehow Texas blames wind power? Shocking!

It seems the fault is system wide, and the anti-wind propaganda that “somehow” popped up is largely nonsense.

Think about this, big coal or ng plant, lots and lots of cooling water, feed water, monitoring and control lines, even compressed air lines (With condensation freezing in them) ... .. Uninsulated, not ever expected to freeze.. of course these plants are going down.

Look at the actual data on the mix of power production now, and wind looks pretty reliable in comparison. Aside from actual freezing rain, a wind turbine has way less vulnerability to low temps than a conventional power plant that has no freeze protection.

Not to shocking that there would be instant blame laid on wind in Texas, no?!?

10. Likes JoeE., daryl bane, Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    On the green thing if your electricity comes from fossil fuels an electric car adds more green house gases than an efficient gasoline car. You start adding up transmission losses, charging and discharging losses and the math does not make sense. It will be cheaper because the utility buys bulk fuel but not greener.
    That's kind of the point of renewables. Gives you clean(er) power that can go onto the grid and be cleaner than an IC engine. Yes there are losses in the transmission and distribution. There is on fossil fuel as well.

None of this stuff is designed to be the only source. Solar and wind power is the cheapest power for utilities to buy or make. It is forecastable, but not constant. So they work it into the mix the rest of the generation types needed to supply constant power.

I have an electric car and my family uses it for all of the around town driving. It is charged from the grid. But 40 ft away I have 20kW of solar that supplies all of the energy (note "energy" and not "power") for the the car and the rest of my homestead. Transmission losses are essentially zero. On any given month we are generating more energy (power over time) than we are using and it goes out onto the grid. At any given moment, we might be using power from the grid or supplying power to the grid. This is called distributed generation and it reduces transmission losses, among other things.

12. Likes cyanidekid, boosted, JoeE., Big B, Greg White and 5 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Those were off a design originated in Iceland, last time I looked. You using that design? Not an "icing" issue. The outrageous diff between still air and serious WIND!

If not you need NO ONE's permission to remain a pretentious c**t.

Just "go for it".

The pretension.

Not the c**t.

Damned shame to have to use X-Rays to try to FIND you, ever you should try to combine the two.
    Seriously dude, can you even understand what *you* write? Because I can't. I think you are trying to imply that the wind turbine I designed 10 years ago was designed in Iceland. But then you are saying that if it wasn't designed in Iceland, then I am a pretentious cunt?

I actually do what I am talking about.

Here is me in the Arctic Ocean 50 miles from Barrow, AK in January at -38F. Those are my wind turbines powering the scientific equipment. That's my company name on my hat.
    50934394_10105970886188180_8427264311981768704_n.jpg

Here is my truck parked underneath the wind tip on a Manitowoc 16000 tracked crawler crane that is repowering a wind farm of GE turbines in Texas. The Manitowoc 16000 is one of the smaller cranes I work on.
    52093919_10106040860923250_6230337073484660736_n.jpg

Here is me standing at a wind farm. That little crane in the background is probably a Grove RT890E. It is an assist crane. It is just used for little jobs and to help the big cranes. Offloading trucks and dealing with stuff that it doesn't make sense to use a big crane for. (kind of like how we wouldn't put in a 3 megawatt wind turbine when a 3 kilowatt wind turbine would do). That's my name on my hard hat.
    61502319_10106279815291780_2520027354613415936_n.jpg

Here are a couple of CNC machines at one of my shops. Outside of picture we have surface mount and through hole electronics assembly lines. And CNC press brake. And welders. At my other two shops we have more manual and CNC machines, forklifts and telehandlers up to 10k lbs, rough terrain crane, welding and fab equipment. I also have "field offices" in Utah and Alaska with more equipment to support special projects.
    87935372_10107166291835680_4959737373387653120_o.jpg

I'm 36 years old. All this stuff is bought and paid for based on my products which are primarily for renewable energy industry. We do all of our manufacturing in the USA. We buy made in USA machinery and made in USA tooling. My customers pay well for my stuff because we either make them a lot of money or save them a lot of money.

So seriously, fuck off. I'm real and you are an internet troll.
    Last edited by kb0thn; 02-16-2021 at 07:00 PM. Reason: typo

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kb0thn View Post
    Seriously dude, can you even understand what *you* write? Because I can't.

Neither can most of us, but we have learned to ignore that pest, don’t take it personally! looks like you are the real deal, so if you can learn to ignore termite, and hang in there, so much the better

(Seeing you have been on here since 08, you should know that by now!!)

15. Likes JoeE., SAG 180 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure about Texas, but I know the cost to produce a kw/h in my province ($ Canadian): 8 cents per kw/h for hydro, 17 cents per kw/h wind. So no, wind is not cheapest. Or constant/reliable. Altho it may not sound it, I’m strongly in favour of more wind power, just not as base. Prefer, based on local economics, to save head of water for hydro gen when wind unavailable. Locally wind power generation is shut down below -25C. Hydro keeps on trucking (so to speak).

L7

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seriously dude, can you even understand what *you* write? Because I can't. I think you are trying to imply that the wind turbine I designed 10 years ago was designed in Iceland. But then you are saying that if it wasn't designed in Iceland, then I am a pretentious cunt?

I actually do what I am talking about.

Here is me in the Arctic Ocean 50 miles from Barrow, AK in January at -38F. Those are my wind turbines powering the scientific equipment. That's my company name on my hat.
    50934394_10105970886188180_8427264311981768704_n.jpg

Here is my truck parked underneath the wind tip on a Manitowoc 16000 tracked crawler crane that is repowering a wind farm of GE turbines in Texas. The Manitowoc 16000 is one of the smaller cranes I work on.
    52093919_10106040860923250_6230337073484660736_n.jpg

Here is me standing at a wind farm. That little crane in the background is probably a Grove RT890E. It is an assist crane. It is just used for little jobs and to help the big cranes. Offloading trucks and dealing with stuff that it doesn't make sense to use a big crane for. (kind of like how we wouldn't put in a 3 megawatt wind turbine when a 3 kilowatt wind turbine would do). That's my name on my hard hat.
    61502319_10106279815291780_2520027354613415936_n.jpg

Here are a couple of CNC machines at one of my shops. Outside of picture we have surface mount and through hole electronics assembly lines. And CNC press brake. And welders. At my other two shops we have more manual and CNC machines, forklifts and telehandlers up to 10k lbs, rough terrain crane, welding and fab equipment. I also have "field offices" in Utah and Alaska with more equipment to support special projects.
    87935372_10107166291835680_4959737373387653120_o.jpg

I'm 36 years old. All this stuff is bought and paid for based on my products which are primarily for renewable energy industry. We do all of our manufacturing in the USA. We buy made in USA machinery and made in USA tooling. My customers pay well for my stuff because we either make them a lot of money or save them a lot of money.

OK. YOU have a truck. I no longer do. BFD.

You left out:

https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/9934212Z:US

Welcome! - APRS World, LLC

APRS World Products - APRS World, LLC

Sure don't look like these guys:

https://energyacuity.com/blog/2019-t...manufacturers/

Top 10 Wind Turbine Manufacturers in the World 2020 - BizVibe

And nowhere near as advanced as these, either:

https://www.whatsorb.com/energy/vort...iAAEgJD8_D_BwE

https://investableuniverse.com/2020/...energy-arctic/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlxz-KzebbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nemy4TD4I3A

But YOU are "the expert" on wind power.

At age 36? Because you have a truck. And "work on" cranes?

Good for you.

I'll get better information somewhere else, thanks.

How, ever, could I NOT?

You cannot understand? On that, point I do believe you are indeed SOME sort of expert.

From the vantage point of a 40 year head start? My advice is you might want to charge a premium for that ...... while you still know everything?

https://www.winonadailynews.com/news...cc4c03286.html

Extract:

county staff found that Jarvis had erected the structure without obtaining any permits.
    $31,000 to buy it, used, and put it up? Only to take it down again?
    You don' need no steenkin' "permits"? Might class that as "masturbatory?"

"Payback" off the investment, plus maintenance and life-cycle amortization, is.....Might "never" sound reasonable?

Why are we not surprised?

We get stupider as we get older, y'see. Ask any OTHER young pretentious cunt, surely they'll confirm it.

"Solidarity thing", yah?

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    Locally wind power generation is shut down below -25C. Hydro keeps on trucking (so to speak).
    Water freezes at 0* C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ummm, EG, perhaps you haven’t noticed the LeGrande complex in northern Quebec, the Nelson River in Manitoba, the dams in northern BC, and God only knows how many dams in Russia. Might have something to do with lakes not freezing down to bottom, fast water not freezing, etc...

These are all facilities that continue to work thru winters that go well below -25C. So far 13 straight nights below -30C where I live not including tonight, and my electricity is hydro generated.

Yes, Hydro keeps trucking. All year round :-)

But perhaps you’re pulling my leg?

L7

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JNieman View Post
    My understanding of current molten salt reactor designs is that one of the biggest benefit is because there are no RODS to speak of, as we typically think of and maybe imagine Homer Simpson handling. It's all fuel and salt in the molten pool, and you just keep the reaction going in that molten salt mass; there's no removal of "spent" rods that have to be dealt with.

If fuel rods are really that big of a concern then maybe molten salt reactors are worth knowing about. It's not that new, and it's a pretty big leap of progress over the old cold war era stuff.
    I wasn't aware that they are using salt in nuclear reactors now but they had planned on putting in a large solar facility about 10 miles from our place in Arizona that used molten salt to store energy or something to that effect. Not sure why but the project got cancelled. It may have been due to the 08 recession.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's kind of the point of renewables. Gives you clean(er) power that can go onto the grid and be cleaner than an IC engine. Yes there are losses in the transmission and distribution. There is on fossil fuel as well.

None of this stuff is designed to be the only source. Solar and wind power is the cheapest power for utilities to buy or make. It is forecastable, but not constant. So they work it into the mix the rest of the generation types needed to supply constant power.

I have an electric car and my family uses it for all of the around town driving. It is charged from the grid. But 40 ft away I have 20kW of solar that supplies all of the energy (note "energy" and not "power") for the the car and the rest of my homestead. Transmission losses are essentially zero. On any given month we are generating more energy (power over time) than we are using and it goes out onto the grid. At any given moment, we might be using power from the grid or supplying power to the grid. This is called distributed generation and it reduces transmission losses, among other things.
    That's where I'm heading at our main residence with plenty of solar panlels. I've been making all of our power for our 5th wheel for about 7 weeks now and using solar since 79 when I installed a hot water system on our house. Now that I've gotten used to making all of our electric power with solar it just seems like the thing to do to add the solar, especially when I have a 27X48 foot south facing roof with a 4-12 pitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm thinking that another thing that adds to the electric problems in southern states is that some/many homes don't have gas or oil furnaces, but instead rely on electric space heaters or electric baseboard heat. Up north we ALL have regular heat sources besides electric our we would go broke paying electric bills. When it gets really cold our electric bill hardly changes except for the little more that it costs to run the fan on the furnace.

23. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    But perhaps you’re pulling my leg?
    I was at the time but now that I think about it, we used to have breakup in the spring in Alaska, when the major rivers would start to flow again. And the lake outside of Anchorage, we'd go there and spin brodies in winter cuz it was frozen solid, so ... maybe hydro is not 24/7/365 everywhere. Plus the whole salmon thing. Mom likes salmon. Dad likes salmon. Even baby bear likes salmon

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    I'm thinking that another thing that adds to the electric problems in southern states is that some/many homes don't have gas or oil furnaces, but instead rely on electric space heaters or electric baseboard heat. Up north we ALL have regular heat sources besides electric our we would go broke paying electric bills. When it gets really cold our electric bill hardly changes except for the little more that it costs to run the fan on the furnace.
    Very true. My devel was built at the dawn of the '70's to "showcase" the all-electric home. Singer baseboard heat, but a least we got half-decent insulation (since upgraded). Some have gone-over to heat pumps - we are in a favorable clime for those. A smaller number to nat gas.

"NOVA" is temperate enough that Fall/Indian summer my bill is only $75 or $80 - part of that minimums - for one person. Summer Air-con, not terrible - mebbe $200-$250?

Worst of winter, however, can run $700 to $800. The charts the powerco make available show it.

Nearly a 10:1 ratio, best month to worst.

My best shot ROI-wise would not be solar Photo-Voltaic, but solar thermal - such as the "Sunmaster" passive tracking evacuated tube system I had on a prior home dawn of the '70's. Easily integrated with gas hydronic heat, and even wood-pellet HW as fallback.

Looking at it, but zoning here is an RBK for the solar part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Harris Hill Is a ski jump in a near by town... "where I come from""

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Have you ever been to Texas? I have. Many times. As recently as two months ago I drove across Texas and I can tell you that whoever wrote that the wind turbines only produce at night was a liar. I saw thousands of wind turbines and nearly every one of them was spinning in the middle of the afternoon. Maybe you need to get a new news source instead of the right wing crap.
    Are you referring to this ? “ I have read article after article bumbling around the fact that the darn things in Texas are not putting out and green splaining until after midnight. ”

To which you replied this;
    “ Many times. As recently as two months ago I drove across Texas and I can tell you that whoever wrote that the wind turbines only produce at night was a liar. I saw thousands of wind turbines and nearly every one of them was spinning in the middle of the afternoon. Maybe you need to get a new news source instead of the right wing crap.”

No news source directly quoted, and I never said they ran only part of the day. One thing I am sure of and that is someone like you entered the State that you would be running as fast as you could to safely get out.