OT, somewhat. Who else is currently under rolling blackouts? - Page 9
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 9 of 61 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wife went to the store last week and bought our two weeks worth of groceries. We have two BBQ pits and grills we can cook on if needed. Our cars are topped off with gas. What good that does right now. We like sitting in the recliner with our 870 and Glock at hand waiting for any unusual noise in the dark! We just don't like freezing our a$$ off in these sub teen temperatures!

2. Likes shaggy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4GSR View Post
    Wife went to the store last week and bought our two weeks worth of groceries. We have two BBQ pits and grills we can cook on if needed. Our cars are topped off with gas. What good that does right now. We like sitting in the recliner with our 870 and Glock at hand waiting for any unusual noise in the dark! We just don't like freezing our a$$ off in these sub teen temperatures!
    LOL! Thirty year in the same home?

"The dark" - plus floors at and inch and a quarter of "never squeek".. where not porcelain tile on 'crete slab gives even a very OLD jungle warfare mavin easily a full order of magnitude advantage over any unfortunate SOB as wanders in with malice on the recreationally-drugged pea-brain.

My .45 tactical "Basque lawyers?"

Nah. F**ks-up hearing and night vision yah might need if he ain't the only critter volunteered for a Kosher/Halal ending.

As for cold?

Downstairs "den" is purpose-modified to stay comfy on even ONE person's body heat.
    So long as the tinned and dried food powers the human. Read "more than a full winter season."

Cost for that was only a hundred bucks or so. Wanted decent sound isolation ANYWAY. Why would one NOT take advantage of insulating doubled-up walls, door, & stuffed ceiling?

"Prepper?"

Not really. Just carrying-on the way my tribe has made the previous many thousands of year.

BFD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    ^

What happened to all the preppers ? Did they forget to store any food and a kerosene lamps in with the guns ? I thought Texas was full of strong independent types ?
    The potential zombie horde got too large so most of us moved further west

5. Likes Greg White, mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    The potential zombie horde got too large so most of us moved further west
    Too much like work.

We ignorant farmers jest routed the urinals into New Yawk titty beer taps and let TDS finish the damn fools off with sewercidal "sporting events".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4GSR View Post
    I have an extra wood stove, any trees left around there?

8. Likes 4GSR, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Are you referring to this ? “ I have read article after article bumbling around the fact that the darn things in Texas are not putting out and green splaining until after midnight. ”

To which you replied this;
    “ Many times. As recently as two months ago I drove across Texas and I can tell you that whoever wrote that the wind turbines only produce at night was a liar. I saw thousands of wind turbines and nearly every one of them was spinning in the middle of the afternoon. Maybe you need to get a new news source instead of the right wing crap.”

No news source directly quoted, and I never said they ran only part of the day. One thing I am sure of and that is someone like you entered the State that you would be running as fast as you could to safely get out.
    We spent five days in Texas on our way to Arizona from Michigan. It was warm there. That's all we were after.

10. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know what the timeframe was for Texas to take most of the state out of the national grid but I'm wondering if Rick Perry was governor when that happened. He ended up being secretary of energy for the USA during the last presidents vladministration. It's almost like they found the least qualified individual for every cabinet job.

12. Likes woodchuckNJ, Greg White, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That was a long read......

People should always be prepared for the worst, or at least try................

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    I don't know what the timeframe was for Texas to take most of the state out of the national grid but I'm wondering if Rick Perry was governor when that happened. He ended up being secretary of energy for the USA during the last presidents vladministration. It's almost like they found the least qualified individual for every cabinet job.
    I have never seen anyone better at that job than him. From Texas and serving as Governor served him well knowing about energy. Maybe you might have wished that Perry had won president instead. Maybe next time.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Where does the Hoover Dam rank on the efficiency and cost per KWH generated scale? I remember when I toured that place they said the locals at the time paid $.06 per KWH on their electric bill, all charges included. I was in SoCal 250 miles away and SCE was charging close to $.40 per KWH for the power they got from there. That is just dividing KWH used by the total bill. Then as in probably now SCE had a tiered system and it wasn't very hard to get in the highest, tier 5 and pay through the nose. They have a reverse business model, the more you buy the more you pay per unit.
    Hydropower is really cheap in long term but many countries don't have much suitable locations or every possible river is already build up.
    Like here in Finland, every river is built up with chain of hydropower plants (only notable free-flowing river left is the border river between Sweden and us)
    I have bit of mixed feelings about it as it has ruined numerous salmon rivers in here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From whit I see on the tv the zombies all live a happy fulfilled life in Washington, they come after you by post
    Mark

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    We spent five days in Texas on our way to Arizona from Michigan. It was warm there. That's all we were after.
    Probably "warm" because you manged to get the local's blood boiling?

But never mind. It takes a while to get a woodchipper serviced and ready to process protein for the hogs.

You escaped. THAT time..

Better lu

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boslab View Post
    From whit I see on the tv the zombies all live a happy fulfilled life in Washington, they come after you by post
    Mark
    "Happy" making excuses, swapping lies, and gushing over each other's "alleged-virtue" signalling, so as to keep their fake-news and Feudal Corporate overlords on-side as to controlling what hateful spew works to see to it the LESSER-ranked idiots are properly entertained.

So as to secure the mentally lazy zombie vote, dead or alive?
    By post. If not pallets full of ballots for Beijing-joe Buyed-in.

At least the Roman mobs actually GOT bread with their circuses.

Now all the poor fools get is overdrawn warehouse receipts for empty promises NOT EVEN funded by "Other People's Money".

What's the best recipe for cooking a downed statue of Columbus or George Washington, anyway?

Do they need to burn a police station or a department store all at ONCE to BBQ pulled pork out of a helpless elder citizen?

Or can the culture cannibals make each one last for several meals?
    Seattle - hardly their WORST - is "circling the drain?" Wait until the poor dumb bastids discover the OUTLET of the drain dumps into Metro NYC, South Shitcargo, or Washington, Dead Cee.

Thought they'd earned a balmy holiday in Hell to kick back, relax, and molten-lava surf?

Not without passing through purgatory ass-first, and DRY, they have not!

And the Devil bought another round for Darwin's Ghost.

Because he OWED him for the surplus! Just like the theory. Arrival of the witless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Somehow the proportions don't look right.

Large facility down there, and couple of 1kw wind turbines ?
    Yeah, the scale is hard to fathom, but IIRC those are 2.5 kW Proven machines with about 20' rotor diameter. Really interesting design- downwind, with elastomer hinges at the root of each blade to control pitch and overspeed. The blades stream downwind in really high winds - obviously, only works in a downwind design.

Predictably, there was trouble with the hinges and the original designer/producer's company was undercapitalized too, went bellyup and the design was taken over by someone else. That was 20+ years ago, dunno how old that pic is or what happened to the design.

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    Everything I've read says the opposite. Since electric cars are so much more efficient than IC cars and large power generation plants are so much more efficient than little, mobile engines, even if you get your electrons from coal it's significantly more efficient.
    You're right. The original piece on that was very selective, just part of the war on renewables that's been going on for almost 50 years.

The authors chose an area of the country where it was true that it could be the case, then made a big deal out of it, and it went viral in the anti EV world. Sensationalism masquerading as science, published in all the "right" places and at the "right" time.

Probably wouldn't get much traction these days.

20. Likes digger doug, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So has anyone read about the power companies in TX that allow customers to pay real market price per MWh, that due to the storm have actually asked customers to leave them, because the price per MWh went from sub $5 to over $9000 due to supply/demand?

Crazy.

Texas Governor Calls For Investigation Into Group That Manages State Power Grid : Live Updates: Winter Storms 2021 : NPR.

22. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    So has anyone read about the power companies in TX that allow customers to pay real market price per MWh, that due to the storm have actually asked customers to leave them, because the price per MWh went from sub $5 to over $9000 due to supply/demand?

Crazy.

Texas Governor Calls For Investigation Into Group That Manages State Power Grid : Live Updates: Winter Storms 2021 : NPR.
    You mean, just like they did with propane several years ago ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossthread View Post
    What I don't understand is the environmentalist wanting to cancel the pipeline project and think that will help the environment. Trucking and shipping the oil by rail does not make sense to me when it comes to protecting air quality.
    I have thought similar.
    NOTHING is without some risk. We accept risk every day. I would think the risk of transporting oil, NG etc via pipeline would actually be the most efficient and safest way to do it. I have come to the conclusion that those opposed are not interested in ANY form of energy. They are interested in making things difficult for everyone involved. In order to have what they consider a pristine environment they advocate policies that make it more likely to have some sort of disaster that they can then point at and say ...."see.....energy and humans are bad".....they arent happy to just be self loathing.....they want you to be as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You only got a creepy joe problem because he fixed up she gee pong when he visited Obama, they gave all their intel to put him in charge! (Coo in China, adverse political opponents etc)
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

“Wind accounts for just 10 percent of the power in Texas generated during the winter. And the loss of power to the grid caused by shutdowns of thermal power plants, primarily those relying on natural gas, dwarfed the dent caused by frozen wind turbines, by a factor of five or six,” The Post reported. “At a moment when the world is awash in surplus natural gas, much of it from Texas wells, the state’s power-generating operators were unable to turn that gas into electricity to meet that demand.

27. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by @tedcruz
    California is now unable to perform even basic functions of civilization, like having reliable electricity.

Biden/Harris/AOC want to make CA’s failed energy policy the standard nationwide.

Hope you don’t like air conditioning!
    Or heat ..... what was that about California's failed energy policy, Ted ?

29. Likes JDennis, JoeE. liked this post