What's new
What's new

OT: Source for transformer core laminations

Strostkovy

Titanium
Anybody know where to get transformer core laminations, or just complete cores?

Sometimes I want to make a custom inductor or multitap transformer or variac balancing transformer and I used to do it from salvaged cores but without actual specifications of the cores themselves I always had to guess what saturation to limit to. Also, cores are a pain to salvage and I often cut up a transformer I could have used in something else.

E I cores mainly but also C.

Do a Google search using the term "transformer laminations". You get a number of manufacturers.

Tom

This is true, but I've never been able to get small quantities of anything for an affordable price directly from manufacturers. I was hoping for somewhere with standard products that I can order through their website. It seems like someone, somewhere should do it.

Thomas & Skinner Inc | Alnico Magnets & Transformer Laminations

Electrocore AKA Elcore used to be in Washington. MO but I can't find them on the net. They made tape wound cores.

What size do you need? I make transformers, chokes and magamps and have a lot of cores around.

Bill

Honestly I'm not picky. The latest project is just going to be an attempt at making a linear induction motor with some paired E cores, or possibly C cores. Typically I'm well under 300VA. Where do you get your cores?

I did a lot of work for Electro Core and they usually gave me cores when I needed them but we parted on very bad terms. There would be no point in going into it here but my supply is cut off. That was a few years ago and I have heard little about them since. I can't find them with a Google search. Many years ago I got some EI cores from Thomas and Skinner with no trouble, but I was identified as more or less representing a company I was developing systems for.

I don't know anything about your design but lined up Es or cut cores are not likely to make a very efficient motor.

I checked Electro Core, Inc. on Google maps and they are still shown.

2207 Highway A
Washington MO, 63090

Tel 636 239 2703

The owner is Norm Rothlisberger

Don't tell him I sent you.

Bill

I did a lot of work for Electro Core and they usually gave me cores when I needed them but we parted on very bad terms. There would be no point in going into it here but my supply is cut off. That was a few years ago and I have heard little about them since. I can't find them with a Google search. Many years ago I got some EI cores from Thomas and Skinner with no trouble, but I was identified as more or less representing a company I was developing systems for.

I don't know anything about your design but lined up Es or cut cores are not likely to make a very efficient motor.

I checked Electro Core, Inc. on Google maps and they are still shown.

2207 Highway A
Washington MO, 63090

Tel 636 239 2703

The owner is Norm Rothlisberger

Don't tell him I sent you.

Bill

Ultimately I should be mimicking the geometry of an induction motor core, but rolled out flat. I can approximate that with a bunch of small E cores. Not ideal, but hopefully won't break the bank.

Looks like my options are to contact random companies and hope, keep salvaging cores, or use ferrite.

Or maybe get a sheet of silicon steel and cut laminations myself, but that sounds tedious and messy with a plasma table.

That's excellent there is a company called Thomas and Skinner. Thomas Skinner (no and) is the largest machine tool distributor in western Canada. Thomas Skinner himself is long gone, a couple of generations of Krainers have run it since then. In case anyone was wondering.

Or maybe get a sheet of silicon steel and cut laminations myself, but that sounds tedious and messy with a plasma table.

I have seen it done with a laser cutter.

My concern with plasma it too much heat effected zone, destroying the
insulation coating.

Back