OT - SpaceX Starship SN4 goes "boom" - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    8,767
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    469
    Likes (Received)
    7207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    If you are going to make acetylene bomb do it right, don't piss around with balloons or condoms, use a 55 gallon size trash bag. For the ignition source use a 100' extension cord with a few strands of light copper wire shorting across the hot leads. Always fill the bag outside, if you have an unintended explosion you don't want to contain the blast. When you fill the bag have a ground wire clipped to the bag as a static spark will set it off and you won't much like that. When the bag is full put the shorted end of the extension cord in the bag and use a tie rap to close the bag and seal it to the cord. Stretch out the full 100' of cord as you need to be a long way away when it goes bang. Get another cord and plug it in so you can just plug the two cords together outside for best viewing. The explosion will be monumental, lots of noise, big flash, concussion you will feel at 100'
    Has anyone ever said that you a a few bricks short of a a full load.

  2. Likes 72bwhite, triumph406 liked this post
  3. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,069
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    163
    Likes (Received)
    1527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyanidekid View Post
    snap out of it. he's an idiot with a knack for driving otherwise smart folk like dogs, and sorry, you probably arn't going to mars. no they are never going to be "attainable". humans are so stupid.
    MOST humans are very stupid.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    marysville ohio
    Posts
    9,862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2819
    Likes (Received)
    6574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Has anyone ever said that you a a few bricks short of a a full load.
    We had a lot of fun the summer of '84. We made a metric butt load of actlyene bombs on our way to winning half the IMSA GTP races and the championship.

  5. #44
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    FINLAND
    Posts
    2,155
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    583
    Likes (Received)
    998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    We had a lot of fun the summer of '84. We made a metric butt load of actlyene bombs on our way to winning half the IMSA GTP races and the championship.
    I remember some 200l trash bags also. Pretty damn loud. I have also heard about someone filling 500 gallon weather ballpon with oxyacetylene...

    Oxyacetylene bags and tracer rounds can be also fun if you like that sort of thing. 55 gallon trash bags are suitable target for 1-mile range.

    BTW: 1 lbs of acetylene combusted with oxygen has same energy as 12lbs of TNT 😬

  6. Likes moonlight machine liked this post
  7. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    marysville ohio
    Posts
    9,862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2819
    Likes (Received)
    6574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    I remember some 200l trash bags also. Pretty damn loud. I have also heard about someone filling 500 gallon weather ballpon with oxyacetylene...

    Oxyacetylene bags and tracer rounds can be also fun if you like that sort of thing. 55 gallon trash bags are suitable target for 1-mile range.

    BTW: 1 lbs of acetylene combusted with oxygen has same energy as 12lbs of TNT ��
    Great minds think alike!!!!

  8. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    9,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2185
    Likes (Received)
    6379

    Default

    Moonlight, you'll get a kick out of this video: SpaceX and the F1 connection - YouTube

    It turns out that Dan Gurney's company, All American Racers, designed and made the landing legs used on the Falcon 9 rocket. This was brand-new information for me, it seems that SpaceX doesn't like to acknowledge contributions from outside suppliers. Too bad, but typical of Musk's ego.

    Nevertheless, a bit of coolness from the racing fraternity.

  9. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SE PA, Philly
    Posts
    5,516
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1067
    Likes (Received)
    1976

    Default

    I hold no living human in awe, and refuse to worship someone because they were born smart and ambitious. That's like worshiping someone who hit the jackpot at a slot machine. That said, I don't share the cynical and pretty mean-spirited cynicism also exhibited here.

    Musk is obviously a capable engineer, and an imaginative and capable leader, and has gotten some things done. I like his focused approach to things.

    But his drive to transport humans to other planets so that we survive as a species is a bit premature, morally and ethically. First, I think we need to figure out how to live together and treat each other decently and respectfully. Make sure everyone has food, shelter, and clothing. Ensure that everyone has an opportunity to learn.

    Once we've proven that we can live together and treat each other decently, then we can worry about flying off and infesting, excuse me, populating other planets.

  10. Likes Milland, aarongough liked this post
  11. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1013
    Likes (Received)
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bosleyjr View Post
    I hold no living human in awe, and refuse to worship someone because they were born smart and ambitious. That's like worshiping someone who hit the jackpot at a slot machine. That said, I don't share the cynical and pretty mean-spirited cynicism also exhibited here.

    Musk is obviously a capable engineer, and an imaginative and capable leader, and has gotten some things done. I like his focused approach to things.

    But his drive to transport humans to other planets so that we survive as a species is a bit premature, morally and ethically. First, I think we need to figure out how to live together and treat each other decently and respectfully. Make sure everyone has food, shelter, and clothing. Ensure that everyone has an opportunity to learn.

    Once we've proven that we can live together and treat each other decently, then we can worry about flying off and infesting, excuse me, populating other planets.
    if you're referring to me, i dont worship him, more like get inspiration from him.

    why is it premature? why cant we do both things at once? him striving for mars is not taking away from the other goal, especially if you look at how much effort he's putting into renewable energy etc.

    plus, one of the main reasons he's doing it is in case some catastrophe happens on earth, humanity is 'backed up'.

  12. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SE PA, Philly
    Posts
    5,516
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1067
    Likes (Received)
    1976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by empwoer View Post
    if you're referring to me, i dont worship him, more like get inspiration from him.
    I was reacting a bit to your encomium. You may not worship Elon, but you were pretty enthusiastic!

    Quote Originally Posted by empwoer View Post
    why is it premature? why cant we do both things at once? him striving for mars is not taking away from the other goal, especially if you look at how much effort he's putting into renewable energy etc.

    plus, one of the main reasons he's doing it is in case some catastrophe happens on earth, humanity is 'backed up'.
    All species strive to survive: its' a trait that genetically selected for. So trying to "back up" humanity does not cover us in glory: chimps, moles, and weevils do it. Why is it a plus to back up humanity?

    Look, I'm taking a harder line than perhaps necessary to make a point here. I'm an engineer and I like the space stuff and think we should do more of it. I guess I was lobbying for a bit more thoughtful approach to making humanity worthy of "backing up". I'd like to see the techno-elite billionaires take a bit more positive approach to moral/ethical concerns of helping people who are not the same color, nationality, income category, and who speak a different language than them, rather than inventing crap that only benefits people who look like them (and me, in fairness).

  13. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1013
    Likes (Received)
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bosleyjr View Post
    I was reacting a bit to your encomium. You may not worship Elon, but you were pretty enthusiastic!



    All species strive to survive: its' a trait that genetically selected for. So trying to "back up" humanity does not cover us in glory: chimps, moles, and weevils do it. Why is it a plus to back up humanity?

    Look, I'm taking a harder line than perhaps necessary to make a point here. I'm an engineer and I like the space stuff and think we should do more of it. I guess I was lobbying for a bit more thoughtful approach to making humanity worthy of "backing up". I'd like to see the techno-elite billionaires take a bit more positive approach to moral/ethical concerns of helping people who are not the same color, nationality, income category, and who speak a different language than them, rather than inventing crap that only benefits people who look like them (and me, in fairness).
    what can i say, i am really enthusiastic about space/tech!


    you gotta start somewhere, its impossible for one man to tackle everything, i think he's doing a damn good job of improving a lot of people's lives, not everyone's of course, but he does way more than many others in positions like his.

  14. Likes Mtndew liked this post
  15. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    marysville ohio
    Posts
    9,862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2819
    Likes (Received)
    6574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Moonlight, you'll get a kick out of this video: SpaceX and the F1 connection - YouTube

    It turns out that Dan Gurney's company, All American Racers, designed and made the landing legs used on the Falcon 9 rocket. This was brand-new information for me, it seems that SpaceX doesn't like to acknowledge contributions from outside suppliers. Too bad, but typical of Musk's ego.

    Nevertheless, a bit of coolness from the racing fraternity.
    Yeah I know a few people there. AAR has their fingers in lots of stuff. That is not all they do for Space Ex

  16. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California, Ventura county
    Posts
    1,828
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    608
    Likes (Received)
    770

    Default

    we could get a man on mars in short order
    problem is would be a one way trip got any takers?

  17. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    1,925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1313
    Likes (Received)
    1101

    Default

    SpaceX and their engineers/procurement are generally not well regarded in machine shops around the LA area.

    One shop I used to work in has them on COD, the money has to be in the account before they release the parts.

    There's plenty of shops who will not accept SpaceX work, there was a time when Blue Origin was a highly unpopular firm to deal with as well.

  18. Likes Larry Dickman, 72bwhite liked this post
  19. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    9,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2185
    Likes (Received)
    6379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    There's plenty of shops who will not accept SpaceX work, there was a time when Blue Origin was a highly unpopular firm to deal with as well.
    This doesn't surprise me too much, it's almost tradition that entrepreneurs make suppliers "involuntary investors".

  20. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    966
    Likes (Received)
    1181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    we could get a man on mars in short order
    problem is would be a one way trip got any takers?
    I think if this was made as an honest offer with a real mission and promise of ongoing support (endurance mission, many years, not just dying there in 90 days after the air runs out) then you would have a LOT of takers... I can't imagine a bigger challenge than trying to make a small base work long term.

    I know I'm not mentally cut out for that level of stress but there are lots who are!

  21. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1013
    Likes (Received)
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    we could get a man on mars in short order
    problem is would be a one way trip got any takers?
    i'd go in a heartbeat.

  22. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1013
    Likes (Received)
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    SpaceX and their engineers/procurement are generally not well regarded in machine shops around the LA area.

    One shop I used to work in has them on COD, the money has to be in the account before they release the parts.

    There's plenty of shops who will not accept SpaceX work, there was a time when Blue Origin was a highly unpopular firm to deal with as well.
    unfortunately, thats true
    they owed my previous employer about a quarter mil and took them over half a year to pay up.

  23. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    3,421
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    11689
    Likes (Received)
    3921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    we could get a man on mars in short order
    problem is would be a one way trip got any takers?
    The way things are going lately?

    Ask me again in a year...

  24. Likes kustomizingkid, empwoer liked this post
  25. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    1,925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1313
    Likes (Received)
    1101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by empwoer View Post
    unfortunately, thats true
    they owed my previous employer about a quarter mil and took them over half a year to pay up.
    They owed a company I contracted to a quarter mil as well, they settled for $40k. I took a $30k hit personally

    It went to mediation in LA, SpaceX came with one of the greenest incompetent attorneys they had. The Mediator said in his years as a mediator he never seen a group act the way they did at the mediation.

    If Musk was drowning in a cave in Thailand I wouldn't lend a hand.

  26. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1013
    Likes (Received)
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    They owed a company I contracted to a quarter mil as well, they settled for $40k. I took a $30k hit personally

    It went to mediation in LA, SpaceX came with one of the greenest incompetent attorneys they had. The Mediator said in his years as a mediator he never seen a group act the way they did at the mediation.

    If Musk was drowning in a cave in Thailand I wouldn't lend a hand.
    elon doesnt really have anything to do with that kinda stuff anymore, not for a very long time. its all bean counters


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •