OT- "Sparkling" water with flavors..... any more fattening than plain water ? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Yeah in reading further about this via Google links I am finding out flavored carbonated water makes your kidneys work harder. But then some say yeah, but only minutely so, so no big deal...so jury is still out on this IMHO. Plus there are differences in the flavor....LaCrox for example has way more flavor and "sweetness" than Perrier. Plus Perirer is natural carbonation....dunno if that matters or not. Still in your wife situation I agree, take no chances.

I have noticed I seem to pee less volume from Perrier drinking compared to similar volume of pure water...not sure if that is good or bad, but suspect it is bad.
    All depends on the need and circumstances.

Run your brain at a high rate of Knots with challenging novels or gnarly tax prep work, and you WILL urinate more often, but light in colour. Brain is the numero uno energy-consumer in the whole body, and water is the "combustion" byproduct of that fuel "burn".

Substitute hard manual labour, pee less, but darker. More of the water is being shed by expiration through the lungs, kidneys step-up the concentration ratio automagically. Desert rats damn near piss solids, for example. Their kidneys "have to" run at such high concentrations to survive on so little "new moisture" intake each day. Metabolism of food is the greater source than the moisture IN the food.

Humans can LEARN to manage these things. Tools to support it have been there for multiple millennia. Not limited to Shaolin Monks and Tibetan or high Himalayan / Andes native populations.

Human primacy, all climates, worldwide, is partly due to our system's ability to command adaptations - put "junk" DNA to necessary use. It isn't "baggage". Large and complex "toolbox", and acquired "the hard way" - adapt or die - rather.

Oh.. and add Beer, with its massive "Vitamin Pee" load? Upset all other equations!

2. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get a microwater machine and use a stainless bottle. Squeeze a few drops of lemon and stir.

(Plastic bottled water is a big money maker for companies like Pepsico. They go into small towns and pump tons of water out of the ground for almost nothing. The residents feel the bite especially during a drought. The plastic is no good as well).

4. Likes PegroProX440 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah in reading further about this via Google links I am finding out flavored carbonated water makes your kidneys work harder. But then some say yeah, but only minutely so, so no big deal...so jury is still out on this IMHO. Plus there are differences in the flavor....LaCrox for example has way more flavor and "sweetness" than Perrier. Plus Perirer is natural carbonation....dunno if that matters or not. Still in your wife situation I agree, take no chances.

I have noticed I seem to pee less volume from Perrier drinking compared to similar volume of pure water...not sure if that is good or bad, but suspect it is bad.
    Given the modern (and legal in America) trend to mislabel food and drink products I suspect there is something in those flavored waters that is making you retain more fluid than plain water.

Although I still drink coffee, tea, and occasional wine or beer I long ago got used to drinking mostly just plain water and I am certain my health is much better for it. You can re-tune your taste buds to the foods and drinks that are better for your health. It comes down to a vital lifestyle choice that can greatly affect the quality of later years in life.

"Live to eat or eat to live"

6. Likes Monarchist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Edwards View Post
    While that is possible, reading the details of that particular study shows is it very inconclusive in humans. IMHO, the sweetness of diet soft drinks (or anything) is the culprit....causing an insulin release in the body that leads to fat buildup regardless of calories.

My personal experience with Perrier flavored water is if anything it makes me NOT hungry...not more hungry. But everyone is a little different so who knows..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Such as Perrier in lime, lemon and watermelon flavors.....supposedly with added taste via oils somehow rather than sugar or artificial sweetener. (although I don't know of too many "oils" that taste like lemon, lime or watermelon).

Discovered I like the stuff to sip on while driving especially and that way get more water....but wonder if plain water still better health wise ? Anyone know the scoop on this ?
    Good well water is best. The best sparkling, flavored, sugar free canned water I know of is Le Croix, cheapest at Walmart. This is way cheaper then Perrier. The best bottled water I know of is Apollinaris at about $1-2/bottle. "The Queen of Table Waters" is bottled at the spring in Germany. It has lots of minerals and tastes very slightly salty. If you need prebottled water this is your best choice, next would be Le Croix. If you have well water then refrigerate some after adding a very little natural organic lemon or orange oil extract from natural food stores.

I treat myself to Le Croix and Walmart's dirt cheap sparkling lemonade at about $280 per 12 pack, llightly sweetened with the good old high fructose corn syrup; it is really good and has real lemon flavor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LFLondon View Post
    Good well water is best. The best sparkling, flavored, sugar free canned water I know of is Le Croix, cheapest at Walmart. This is way cheaper then Perrier. The best bottled water I know of is Apollinaris at about $1-2/bottle. "The Queen of Table Waters" is bottled at the spring in Germany. It has lots of minerals and tastes very slightly salty. If you need prebottled water this is your best choice, next would be Le Croix. If you have well water then refrigerate some after adding a very little natural organic lemon or orange oil extract from natural food stores.

I treat myself to Le Croix and Walmart's dirt cheap sparkling lemonade at about $280 per 12 pack, llightly sweetened with the good old high fructose corn syrup; it is really good and has real lemon flavor.
    So, FL, you are not quite the "Would you please pass the Grey Poupon?" type I imagined

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Monarchist writes:
    "Tibetans disagree, use Yak butter. Not always rancid, even. You'd have to be really COLD to appreciate that as a life-saver. I have been. It was."

You write the most amazing stuff with such totally freewheeling style. You should publish a book of your most elaborate anecdotes. I do appreciate your wise comments on Ukraine in that other thread.

Now you are telling the world that you drank yak butter tea in Tibet in the wintertime. Classic and I enjoyed just trying to imagine doing that.
    You write like some of the denizens of old Chapel Hill NC, the Paris of the Piedmont, a cosmopolitan university town. I grew up there in a neighborhood filled with librarians, historians, fiction authors, some famous, dramatists, biographers, poets, victory gardeners, historic preservationists, famous botanists, retired Episcopal missionaries and all manner of freethinkers and visionaries. Of course there were never any bohemians, beats or beatniks, hippies, leftists or commies wandering around town with their "heads in the clouds".

I tip my Akubra to Monarchist!

LL

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, FL, you are not quite the "Would you please pass the Grey Poupon?" type I imagined
    Well, now. of course I am as you imagined, bred in Old Chapel Hill in the company of Viennese candymakers, native Japanese and the finest traditional Southern cooks you can imagine.

I just don't eat dessert so I allow myself Walmart's lemonade which is really fine. It's not dead sweet so I indulge without guilt.

If it were me and I did a lot of travelling I wouls stick with cases of Le Croix ice cold in the cooler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While that is possible, reading the details of that particular study shows is it very inconclusive in humans.
    Not sure if you missed this part:

In humans, 20 healthy male subjects between the ages of 18 and 23 were given one of the four aforementioned drinks an hour after consuming a light breakfast. Those who consumed sparkling water for breakfast had a ghrelin level six times that of those who had still water.

Sounds like they are on to something to me. I agree that the artificial sweetener is probably a contributing factor.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conceptdevelopers View Post
    My wife had kidney problems/ failure. Her doctor told her to drink a large amount of water a day. She drank Wal-Mart flavored water. Said the stuff was pretty good. Went to the doctor the following week and he said to stop the flavored water of any kind. It was not a substitute for water. Went farther and said it wouldn't help at all. I'm no Doc. we took his word for it.
    That Walamrt stuff is very much loaded with aspertane, to a point of "too much".

I like the Dollar General stuff, has a different (cant recall it right now) sweetener
    rather than aspertane, and at a much lower rate.

Nothing stopping you from changing the ratio by simply mixing in some plain water, carbonated or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jeez, been drinking store brand flavored seltzer water for over 30 years. Now to find out it isn't good for you either.
    Try to drink tap/bottled water but got used to the seltzer and it really quenches my thirst.
    Guess I'll "stay tuned" to this thread and see if anything convinces me otherwise to just keep drinking it.
    Up to 4 years ago I drank regular soda also. But after getting warned by my Dr that my sugar numbers were elevated ( big family history of diabetes ) I quit the soda and stick to unsweetened tea/coffee,water & flavored seltzer among other dietary changes and numbers holding well.
    Just gotta get to excercizing :-(

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I try to stick to regular water or plain seltzer (not tonic-water (contain salt and HFC)) with a bit of lime (a whole small lime has about 10 calories--negligible). As alluded to, there been studies that the artificial sweeteners increase cravings, the brain being tricked, "hey your tongue and part of your brain told me that artificial sweetener would give me a reward/pleasure via sugar charge, but nothin showed up, I'm now depressed...". That reduction in reward response they think may contribute to obesity. Not to mention, it's logical that constant conditioning to sweet tasting (whether real or artificial) makes one crave it in foods/drink, real or artificial.

When looking into this some time ago, the general consensus seemed to be that unsweetened carbonated water had neutral/no health effects (and a few potential advantages). Sweetened beverages, softdrinks, artificially sweetened are a whole different case (not only from the sugars or artificial sweeteners, but other ingredients added). That being said, like most things, a bit in moderation isn't likely to do harm. When I was young, a soft-drink was sort of a treat, not consumed in lieu of water (at the equivalent of 10 tsp of sugar (in the form of HFC) per 12 oz).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Flavored seltzer water = zero calories. In my case this replaces quinine water, which I *thought* had fewer calories than,
    say, a coke.

Wrong.

Data were on the label, plain as day.

Other option is H2ofO, right from the aqueduct.....
    I am addicted to Canada Dry and Schweppes Tonic water (with Quinine) . Problem is it has as much sugar as some sodas. I tried to wean myself off soda by going with Not from concentrate limeade but that causes lots of issues for my gastroenteritis and according to my dentist plays hell on my teeth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has any one tried these. Electrolyte Water Enhancer, Upgrade your Sports Drink | nuun I love them, only 10 calories make water much more drinkable for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    Get a microwater machine and use a stainless bottle. Squeeze a few drops of lemon and stir.

(Plastic bottled water is a big money maker for companies like Pepsico. They go into small towns and pump tons of water out of the ground for almost nothing. The residents feel the bite especially during a drought. The plastic is no good as well).
    South central Missouri has a lot of springs. One of the most beautiful is Greer Spring, a small privately owned one. When I was there, admittedly a long time ago, there was a sign at the beginning of the path to it saying that the public was welcome but to please leave it in the same condition you found it. We picniced there in idyllic surroundings, then carefully packed up every bit of detritus.

Some years back, Anheuser Busch announced a plan to capture all the water from the spring and bottle it. The outrage from the outdoors community forced them to abandon the idea. Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom and equally the price of keeping our world from turning into a sterile monument to the almighty dollar.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post

Tibetans disagree, use Yak butter. Not always rancid, even. You'd have to be really COLD to appreciate that as a life-saver. I have been. It was.
    Do doctors there get on their yaks and make yurt calls? Actually "there" probably should be farther east.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i can't answer the original question but i will say that i pretty much only drink seltzer water, was buying lacdroix from costco then found the food lion brand (you have those in Beaufort right?) which was pretty good and 1/2 the price of lacroix or similar but then a friend bought me a soda stream machine last year as a gift and i have fallen in love with the damn thing.
    bottle exchange is cheap and easy at bed bath and beyond or go the pro route and plumb in a 20cf co2 tank for months of refills for a few bucks.
    i double carbon filter my tap water and keep 2 or 3 soda stream bottles on rotation in the fridge at all times.
    never been a soda guy save for the occasional can of coca-cola or root beer/cream soda but i drink WAY more water than i used to now and aside from my morning cup of joe and my afternoon 'cuppa' the cans of pabst stay in the shop fridge waiting for the friends who stop by.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L Vanice View Post
    Carbon dioxide in water forms small quantities of carbonic acid. Some people think carbonated water harms teeth.
    The carbonic acid, if ever formed (it's not), is quickly dissociated to CaCO3 from the higher Ca content of waters like this (Perrier et al). The overall pH of such water is actually alkaline. Dubious evidence for health benefits of such water, but I've seen more than one chem prof drink it every day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OT- "Sparkling" water with flavors..... any more fattening than plain water ?

Okay I'll say it - It depends on how much whisky you put in it

Whisky and soda with a twist of lime? .............and it was at the American bar at The Savoy as well (not on my tab at those prices ) american bar savoy - Google Search

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaah those were the days

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    OT- "Sparkling" water with flavors..... any more fattening than plain water ?

Okay I'll say it - It depends on how much whisky you put in it

Whisky and soda with a twist of lime? .............and it was at the American bar at The Savoy as well (not on my tab at those prices ) american bar savoy - Google Search

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaah those were the days
    All the "water" a fine Malt needs was barreled or bottled with it.

Yer a good Lad, so a "free pass" ye shall have...but...

The most damning insult in this temporal sphere that a Virginian can make about another human being is:

"That man would put water in his whiskey!"

The DISTILLER is the one who decides the water and percentage as goes into either a Whisky OR a Whiskey.

If you want to challenge his judgment? Buy something else. Goods meant for export to the gullible Sassenach, such as John Walker products, for example.

Or drink Gin, Rum, Rye, Vodka, Tequila, hair-tonic, paint thinner, or such - ah.. redundant. I already SAID "Gin".