What's new
What's new

OT: Standing to work versus sitting to work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomarc

Diamond
I believe that I've asked this before, and maybe had the thread zapped by the head cheese..but watching the Pakistan truck repair videos, and other as well, I don't understand why other folks work, (in dirt) squatting down, when a proper height workbench seems so right at least to me. Why don't semi-third world countries utilize workbenches/work surfaces?

Stuart

I'd guess that squatting requires less energy than standing. The caloric savings might add up if you were on a Third World diet?

Squatting (if you're used to it) might be a somewhat more stable position if your work is hand held (rather than, say, in a vise or one of those first world workbenches) compared to standing. Sort of like the differences in stability between shooting prone, kneeling, and standing.

Never been to Pakistan, but I'd guess that a country that likes to make nukes -- and export the tech -- likely has its share of workbenches and even automation. India, next door, most certainly does. Could be the images of tribal dudes making guns while squatting around a fire are about as indicative of Pakistani tech as Roy Underhill on a shaving horse is of ours?

Then there's this, for those comparing sitting to standing: Squatting and kneeling may be better for your health than sitting

Maby you don't see the need to lift a 200kg engine block up on a table where it can fall of and hit your bare feet?

And people used to squatting find it rather comfortable.

Squatting is hard on the knees, and back, as you get older. The average Paki lives only to 32 years old, so that's not so much an issue.

They average Paki is also quite lean, and not 50-90 lbs. overweight like most in Western cultures, so that helps.

Squatting is a natural position one assumes when riding a camel. It's in they blood.

They're too stupid to use a workbench. Keep in mind, the American Indians - all of them - were too stupid as a culture to invent the wheel or fork. Isaac Asimov, the revered physicist, was too stupid to drive a car.

No point in owning a workbench when the ground it would sit on might not be there next week.

Different cultures and ways of doing things. And after a life time of doing it, they have different muscles and muscle memory built up. Not just middle east people.

The Chinese do the same. In fact most public toilets are not like what we have in the west. They use porcelain fixtures, but more of a whole in the floor, than an actual seat. Need to squat over it, was considered better for health and safety than a billion people sharing common toilet seats. Most have a regular toilet at home though.

Seen a lot of folks can work with their butt about an inch from the ground and never touch, never work on their knees, and still keep balance. Never got a good reason as to why, other than "this is how we do it".

The wife being Chinese has that too. Kind of bendy and flexible in a different way, with a different muscle set than you might find with American women. No complaints here. :D

Squatting is hard on the knees, and back, as you get older. The average Paki lives only to 32 years old, so that's not so much an issue.

That statistic is partly due to US drone strikes.

They average Paki is also quite lean, and not 50-90 lbs. overweight like most in Western cultures, so that helps.

Means you can pack more ammo on those long nights into the mountains.

Squatting is a natural position one assumes when riding a camel. It's in they blood.

Also for taking a dump.

They're too stupid to use a workbench. Keep in mind, the American Indians - all of them - were too stupid as a culture to invent the wheel or fork. Isaac Asimov, the revered physicist, was too stupid to drive a car.

Stupid enough to have nuclear missiles. Allah Akbar ....

No point in owning a workbench when the ground it would sit on might not be there next week.

Again, no ground is safe. Although after a bomb crater wipes out the work area dirt, it can always be filled in with
displaced dirt from coffin holes. The CV-19 culture has made the coffin dirt more abundant. So no worry there.
Now, if that floor was concrete then a entire crew would have to come in and re-level the floor and nail up all those forms.

I have watched some of those Pakistani videos too. Note that trees are missing from all of them. I bet wood or steel needed to make a decent bench are in short supply over there and if it exists would quickly be repurposed for something more useful than a bench.

Just because the Pakistani government has the money and resources for the bomb doesn't mean it filters down to every lowly little peasant in the middle of no where in that country.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I believe that I've asked this before, and maybe had the thread zapped by the head cheese..but watching the Pakistan truck repair videos, and other as well, I don't understand why other folks work, (in dirt) squatting down, when a proper height workbench seems so right at least to me. Why don't semi-third world countries utilize workbenches/work surfaces?

Stuart

They would be stolen. Looter-culture thing. See also Kalifornicyah SSR.

"That statistic is partly due to US drone strikes."

I certainly hope so. Unfortunately, it looks like the median age might be rising...much like our inflation. Bad trends abound.

Different cultures and ways of doing things. like cutting a hole in the van floor so one can do the duty right on the ground... wiping one's bottom with a found rock.

Often the worker can't bring his/her own bench or stool. and the employer isn't going to as long as workers don't make it a condition if taking a job.

"Ditch diggers wanted..job seekers/workers must bring a shovel"
In the states to dig a one-yard hole, you get two pick-ups, a dump truck pulling an excavator, 4 guys with three hours job time.
In California, you go to Home Depot and hire two Mexicans there waiting for work and they dig that same hole in an hour for $30.

My son's friend Mark working in Afghanistan as a bomb safe vehicle maintenance instructor said that toilets were often staffed with rocks because nobody had money for toilet paper and using rocks was the common method.
Many Americans likely could not cope with not having provided toilet paper.

kinda' goes back to the days of agriculture . if you give the slave field hand a short
handled tool, then anyone standing upright couldn't be working.it might cripple that
person's motor skills..but , a tool is a tool and so have it. sooooo.... anyone sitting
must not be working hard enough...(except for the asshole , sitting in a much more
comfortable chair- watching on video)

depends on the machine. drilling 1/4" holes with a bpt mill or whatever is not the same
as running a vertical lathe with a 4 foot diameter motor casting whipping away before your
face.

My son's friend Mark working in Afghanistan as a bomb safe vehicle maintenance instructor said that toilets were often staffed with rocks because nobody had money for toilet paper and using rocks was the common method.
Same in Saudi in the '50's. US GOV or ARAMCO provided TP, it was immediately scarfed up and taken home for their wimmin'. The guys carried-in pea-gravel and the toilet traps simply hadda be dredged of "wash gravel" a couple times a day

BFD.

Many Americans likely could not cope with not having provided toilet paper.

Phhht...

The Engineers have hairy ears, they're hardy sons of bitches
They wipe their ass with broken glass, and laugh because it itches.

:)

Dont you think its time to put Racism to rest ?

Last edited:
Dont you think its time to Racism a rest ?

What's racist about his quote?

Pakistanis aren't a race. It's a culture.

CULTURE is what keeps them in the stone age when it comes to matters of this sort.

CULTURE is what tells them to ban women from learning to read and write.

CULTURE is what tells them to mutilate their own daughters when they reach "that age".

CULTURE is what tells them it's ok for an old man to marry a twelve year old girl.

CULTURE is what tells them that slavery is not a sin.

Don't YOU think it's time to give up on letting them pass for a civilized CULTURE?:scratchchin:

T: [What's racist about his quote.] I'm not going to read all the posts but getting a job done is the point.
in these modern times, I have dug a 100 yards long ditch with a hand shovel because that was the only way and time was not important. likely nowadays some guys don't think to sharpen a shovel and know how to jump on it to make it cut roots.

What's racist about his quote?

Pakistanis aren't a race. It's a culture.

CULTURE is what keeps them in the stone age when it comes to matters of this sort.

CULTURE is what tells them to ban women from learning to read and write.

CULTURE is what tells them to mutilate their own daughters when they reach "that age".

CULTURE is what tells them it's ok for an old man to marry a twelve year old girl.

CULTURE is what tells them that slavery is not a sin.

Don't YOU think it's time to give up on letting them pass for a civilized CULTURE?:scratchchin:

Can't do much about what they do..But allowing that stuff in the United States should have harsh penalties.
This stuff is against our USA laws..sign the contract or stay in your own country should be the drill.

The Cop says "You can't drive 150Mph on I -80'
Driver answers "but I'm from Germany"
Cop "Oh, then drive as fast as you wish."

Robby, a Heller tool tech got out of a speeding ticket on 8 Mile Road because he said I'm sorry officer but I'm from Germany. The cop dis say, "Next time you get the ticket."

Even providing family bathrooms is a darn shame.
People will chop off your head if you think differently than they, and we bow to their wishes on how they like to go pee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back