What's new
What's new

OT: steel for making leather cutting stamps

Stirling

Hot Rolled
good day gentlemen

I have been approached to produce some basic leather stamping shape kits for student program in my province.

They are seeking "not junk" small leather cutting tools for basic radi, straight, square cuts. pretty basic.
I was thinking of milling the cutter bits from 4140 htsr pre hard. bevel cut a 20deg cutting edge, then abrasive wheel the final edge
Would this material keep a reasonable edge without additional heat treat?
I would assume so, but I'm no leather worker.

Going for a "Starrett" type quality craftsmen feel to the tools.
I'm considering an interchangeable head style. 0.5" dia 4" long punch with a square socket/magnet retention.
then bits that fit into it with the universal shank and cutter shapes.

the first project for the kids will ne to make the tools pouch.

I know I've seen tools made of bent sheet steel, but I'm not set up for that, and in our initial discussion it did not seem like the direction they wanted to go.

Thanks for any input :)

I would use annealed A2 machine it to whatever, and torch harden. I like A2 for cutting tools when annealed it's easy to machine and it's super easy to harden with a torch. O1 is also good to work with.

I have used O1 tool steel to make my own leather punches of various sizes with very good results. Machine everything except the final edge grind before
heat treating. O1 tool steel is an oil quenching steel.

As long as they are to be used dry carbon steel will be fine but anything for wet stamping must be SS or plated. The tannic acids used in the tanning process for most commercial leather will react with steel when wet and leave permanent black marks.

I've found that heat treating 4140 is as easy as O1. For cutting leather either would be fine IMHO. O1 might be easier to get in small quantities.

Do you think 4140 would even require heat treat for this application? considering it will be purchased In the pre hardened state?

4140htsr is suuuuper easy to get in my region, way more likely that any tool steels. its a very go to oilfield steel in our region

Probably do just fine. I'd just be careful as I'm sure you will be to back up your leather with wood, plastic or aluminum. If you are unhappy with the service life you can always harden it.

4140 verses O1 tool steel

Do you think 4140 would even require heat treat for this application? considering it will be purchased In the pre hardened state?

4140htsr is super easy to get in my region, way more likely that any tool steels. its a very go to oilfield steel in our region

We try to select the steel for the end requirement and not because the steel is easily available. Both 4140HT, A2 and O1 tool steel are easily available. If your only going to use the tool occasionally 4140 will work fine. However, for heavier use O1 or A2 tool steel is a better choice. O1 is a better choice for heat treating with a touch than A2.

All The Best
Roger

I know I've seen tools made of bent sheet steel, but I'm not set up for that, and in our initial discussion it did not seem like the direction they wanted to go.

Thanks for any input :)

Steel Rule Dies are the ideal way to cut leather. Their cheap and fast to make.

There's probably a reason they don't want to go that direction, not a reason I can think of.

Typically the die base is laser cut plywood, the width of the laser cut being the width of the die. After the plywood is cut all you need is a shear to cut the steel rule, some way of holding the steel rule while you bend it etc etc.

If I didn't have access to a laser cutter, I would make male/female shapes in AL, which when joined together would have the correct spacing for the steel rule.

The great advantage to steel rule dies is maintainability. Damage an edge, pull it out, make another one push it back into place.

I used to be in a business that did alot of die cutting, so I also suggest looking at steel rule dies. However it sounds like they are thinking of arc punches or hammer punches. Our sterl rule die shop in nyc would make any shape you wanted. They hand forged and sharpened them. I had dozens of them for sample making. Most of those I picked up at auction but had several custom made. I know the heat treating and tempering allowed a hard edge and toughened shank. I saw the make these, guy made it look easy, probably had been doing it all day for 30 years. I have no idea what the alloy may of been.

Back