What's new
What's new

OT- Support rods ceiling of metal building in the way of my order picker lift truck !

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
The usual cross mounted rods like in photo.... overhead guard runs into these rods about two inches before I reach the fork height I need to use the upper storage area. I can go up another inch and just drag the guard past the rods but that's about it. Anyone see any solution to this ? (and no, the overhead guard cannot be torched off...seriously heavy duty weldment..plus that would ruin it's future resale value.)

IMG_6775.jpg

Drill holes in the middle of the purlins, actually make a pattern to plasma cut them (they will be long slots)

Are yours in every bay ?

if not, you might be able to move to another bay.

Aren't the rods pretty close to the purlins anyway? Are they drooping? If so, if you have any way to tie them more evenly to the purlins could that get you the space you need?

Alternatively, depending on the forks and lift slide (not sure of the correct term for the lifting frames) geometry - if you had a fork that was shorter vertically, could the slide come down further without fouling the floor? If it can, then the load would be higher relative to the overhead guard.

I think. I may be missing the complete picture.

It looks like the cross bracing attaches to the framing (probably the columns) several inches below the bottom of the roof framing. They could probably be moved up a couple inches by drilling new holes in the column flanges. It would be a bit of work.

Strap 4X4's to your forks which puts the load that much higher in relationship to the offending guard.

Stuart

That would be my suggestion also, and can be done a few different ways to achieve the same result of the forks being "lowered" in relation to the pallets that need to be lifted.

That would be my suggestion also, and can be done a few different ways to achieve the same result of the forks being "lowered" in relation to the pallets that need to be lifted.
Makes no sense to me.....with lumber attached to forks the forks would not enter a standard pallet.... but even if a machine is on skids rather than a pallet that are high enough to accomodate the forks, you'd just have to raise the forks that much more to lift it clear of the mezzanine surface.

I've always ass-sumed those cross braces were there to hold it in alignment UNTIL the roof is installed, after which enough torsional strength would be there to render them useless.
However, I am no building engineer, so there is that...:D

Those rods are there to pull the building frame square before the steel sheathing is applied. After the skin is on they serve little purpose and are likely loose. If they just went away I doubt they'd be missed, especially if it's only one or two sets, not all in the building.
Dennis

Those rods are there to pull the building frame square before the steel sheathing is applied. After the skin is on they serve little purpose and are likely loose. If they just went away I doubt they'd be missed, especially if it's only one or two sets, not all in the building.
Dennis

And the best way to determine that would be to ask the manufacturer or, if unknown, another manufacturer of similar buildings.

You crazy radical...

Not really.

Most jurisdictions, Fire Marshall does NOT want to see any goods stacked with less than 18" clear above their tops to the underside of the ceiling, anyway.

"Least effort" approach might be to add a Multiton, Raymond, or similar "stacker" so the fancy FL isn't the only placer/picker device.

One presumes 3500 avoir per pallet .. or LESS .. for the goods appropriate to storage on the topmost surface?

Back