What's new
What's new

OT: Tape to stick on bottom of metal drawers to stop metal on metal sound

Spud

Diamond
Want to get rid of the scraping sound from the drawer sliding on the cabinet. Thinking I should use some kind of sticky tape on the drawer sides and bottom or on the cabinet's rails. Some sliding resistance from the tape isn't a problem. The metal on metal sound is irritating.

Metal-parts-cabinet-pic-1.jpg

Metal-parts-cabinet-pic-2.jpg

Contact cement a strip of formica on each cabinet rail.
Run a block of candle wax on the shinny formica.
Insert drawer and it will slide in silence.

(Did this myself)

before you do all the work, try some dry film lubricant first. they often call themselves "ceramic", "nano" and similar nowadays.

Looked at the McMaster Carr site.

What is the difference between PEET , UHMW and PTFE tape ? Anyone used all three knows what each is best at?

You mean PETE (i.e. polyester)?
PTFE (or TFE) “Teflon” would be the slipperiest, UHMWPE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) should wear better/longer.
PETE (or PET)… not sure; maybe not as good as the other two?
I might try UHMWPE first.

I think that "PEET" is actually PEEK. McMaster has PEEK tape, which will likely be by far the most expensive. It's a highly resistant tape for chemical exposure and elevated temps, and thoroughly wasted on an application like this, IMO.

I would go with the UHMW tape. It's very durable and should be slippery for quite some time. Clean the surfaces well where it will be applied, and it will likely lasr forever.

I'd also suggest the UHMW tape, but clean not only the surface to be adhered to, but the surface it will slide against. The tape is soft enough to pick up and hold particle, and so will become a lap of sorts if it gets too dirty. There goes your smooth sliding effect, and over time your support surface.

I've used a fair amount of UHMW tape over the years, plenty slippery enuf, and much less $$$. The real issue is keeping it stuck in place. Once an edge gets loose, it just starts to peel off. Would be good to extend it beyond the contact surfaces and include a mechanical fastener, should last forever with that, or until crap gets imbedded in it. We're only talking occasional opening and closing, not continuous 24/7 reciprocal motion.

Prolly mean't PEEK - which I have no experience with, so I can't comment on how it performs.

I seriously doubt Pete would be a good substitute to UHMW tape... maybe get Pete to put the tape on the drawer bottoms?

Also, who's Pete?

Sent by telegraph using - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

I'd also suggest the UHMW tape, but clean not only the surface to be adhered to, but the surface it will slide against. The tape is soft enough to pick up and hold particle, and so will become a lap of sorts if it gets too dirty. There goes your smooth sliding effect, and over time your support surface.

Good point. Like wood bearings.

Sent by telegraph using - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

You mean PETE (i.e. polyester)?
PTFE (or TFE) “Teflon” would be the slipperiest, UHMWPE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) should wear better/longer.

Was a typo in previous post. Meant to type PEEK.

If you use that tape you should put it on both surfaces. Not only one surface, which will surely abrade away when a heavy metal drawer is sliding on it.

Back