Ot: terminated out of the blue - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I don't see how anyone can look themselves in the mirror after canning someone right before Christmas unless of course that employee did something completely outrageous. I hope Santa brings them a stocking full of coal.
    Coal? that's both useful and valuable, make it clinker and slag

2. Likes Monarchist, Greg White, SND liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how anyone can look themselves in the mirror after canning someone right before Christmas unless of course that employee did something completely outrageous. I hope Santa brings them a stocking full of coal.
    Easy Peasy.

They looked upon the OP as a thief, and nothing will shift their opinion, once formed in their head.

They are adamant that they were justified in "cleaning house".

4. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The real reason was definitely not stated. Economy? Something else you did? The boss's son/nephew/brother/etc. wants a job (I have been there) or whatever, but something else.

DO apply for unemployment. That will force the company to either pay it or really justify their action. I would bet that they have a guilty conscience and will just pay.

And move on. Don't let it get you down. It isn't you, it's them.

6. Likes digger doug, Limy Sami, Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    If that 18 minutes was on one of the days when you were getting double time of $60 an hour AND they have a new HR head I think we have solved the mystery. As one of the highest paid you were also the highest profile hourly worker and if management felt they had a company wide attendance problem you were targeted as a high profile "offender".

At a dollar a minute 18 minutes is 18 dollars you got paid as a no-show. From their point of view if they are losing money and are desperate to find out why, stuff like that is easier to blame than poor business decisions by management. You almost certainly were made an example of and from the point of view of a new HR person you looked bad.

I got an early lesson from a boss decades ago about tardiness and perception. I usually stopped by the cafeteria for coffee on my way since it seemed more efficient than going upstairs and then making the round trip. Occasionally I was 2 minutes late to my desk. My boss explained to me that while he understood my logic, to others it looked like I was coming in late and how something appears is often as or more important than the reality. He wanted me to go to my desk first and then down to the cafeteria so anyone walking in could see evidence (jacket, etc.) that I had arrived. It was never an issue again and I was grateful that he explained it to me and made sure to always be on time. This boss had a reputation for being stern but I found that as long as I did nothing that reflected badly on him or his department we got along fine and I carried the lesson about lateness and perception throughout my career.

Use this incident as a learning experience.
    It wasn't, just standard time.

Last year a guy hit a vein in his leg, I was the one who they came and got. I ensured bleeding was stopped,dealt with the medics yada yada...the only thing I was worried about was that they were gonna make a big deal of what I did, thankfully they didn't. I was fire lieutenant at that time, in a few days I'll be fire captain. I enjoy helping people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mirror? This was an HR lady... they don't throw a reflection in the mirror.

Longer ago than I want to remember, I lived through the period when jobs stopped being managed by the foreman because HR all of a sudden ran everything. Two days after I was the guest of honor at their kangaroo court, my foreman asked me to run some material out to a job in my car (against the rules) since he had forgotten to order a truck. I told him straight out, "You want ME to do you a favor? Why should I? You can't do anything for me, and that HR guy just proved it. Order a fuckin' truck, and we'll wait for it." Kinda took all the fun out of working, though. When you find yourself spending more time thinking of ways to fuck the company than doing your job, you know it's time to move on. I did, and never looked back.

Dennis

9. Likes digger doug, Bobw, HuFlungDung, jlrii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's the SOP...most guys benefits reset after the New Years and are required to use PTO time before the reset or forfeit it.
    Can 'em right before the holidays when their PTO is used and before they reset so there's no payout.

11. Likes Bobw, JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"2. Lot's of OT, making you the highest paid guy on the floor,"

Funny how that one can bit you in the ass!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

In some places, the management that eliminates a job, gets to divy
    up that employees 1 year salary as a bonus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you one of the older, higher paid, employees? If the ones fired are all older, higher paid, then age discrimination lawsuit is possible.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    It wasn't, just standard time.

Last year a guy hit a vein in his leg, I was the one who they came and got. I ensured bleeding was stopped,dealt with the medics yada yada...the only thing I was worried about was that they were gonna make a big deal of what I did, thankfully they didn't. I was fire lieutenant at that time, in a few days I'll be fire captain. I enjoy helping people.
    OK, but even at standard time that means they paid you $9 for time you were not even present at work. As I said, very often perception is more important than reality and there may be a reason why they brought in new HR people. If as you say the company is losing money they are probably in a panic to find blame, and you looked like you could fit. Is it fair, given what you feel are your non-tangible contributions? Probably not but that is how life often works, especially at larger companies. Try and put yourself in the position of a new HR head. They are brought on board and told that some employees are cheating on time. They run through clock-ins and see some issues with you. Not knowing the day-to-day details of your work they see some lateness and decide to look further by checking video. Low and behold they see you walking in 18 minutes late, probably on the date you forgot to clock in. Since you are one of the highest paid they decide to make an example of you.

I am not trying to pick on you, but merely trying to point out that you contributed to the image they have of you and it WILL happen again elsewhere if you are unable to understand how they came to think that. You mention a future with a fire department and while in some ways that may be a more tolerant environment all it takes is a new city administration looking to economize and you could find yourself the target once again.

16. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are people in this world that get off on that type of thing.. It makes them feel POWERFUL..
    Sick sick people...

Back in my previous life we got a new boss.. I'll just call her Psycho Bitch, since that's what we called
    her behind her back (and a few to her face).. Department of about 20 people, more part timers than full timers.

At her 6 month anniversary, she was walking around bragging that she had already fired 52 people... Seriously
    BRAGGING about it.. She was proud of herself.. She loved yelling at people, she loved belittling people, and
    she LOVED firing people...

I stayed under her radar for a long time.. Then one day, she decided we weren't getting a break.. NO! I GET
    A BREAK.. So she drug me around the kitchen and pointed out everything that wasn't done, and then turned to me
    and asked "Who's fault is that".. And me being young and dumb said "Its YOUR fault, you're the supervisor"...

I was then planted on the shit list and was scheduled for a single 3.5 hour shift per week for the next month..
    Of course with all the firings and call outs I ended up averaging about 55, and was taken off the shit list.

She made it about a year.. Word through the grapevine was that she didn't quite last that long at her next job.

There are some really disgusting people in this world.

18. Likes Limy Sami, BridgeportinD2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So just to add to the laughs this is what I went through with shift changes starting sept 2016...

2200-0830
    0630-1500 for 2 weeks
    0200-1230 for a month
    0630-1500 for a few months
    1800-0600 for a few months
    1700-0200 for a month
    0630-1500 for 3 weeks
    1700-0200 until I said enough in August of 17. It was really affecting my sleep so I had to get a ADA paper signed.

All that time I was doing production cnc work and my tool making job lol.
    I just read this post for the first time. Now I'm rethinking what I previously posted and thinking you were targeted for a RIF disguised as a firing for cause so they could terminate you on the cheap. With that much jerking around of work schedules it would be hard not to screw up a time or two and the 7 minute clock in window makes it even more of a tap dance to comply. I think in this case a job change even though under unpleasant circumstances is in your benefit overall. Sounds like the kind of "lizard" management that seems so common in business these days. I use the term lizard because when I think about the title Human Resources vs the older title of Personnel Department I sometimes imagine a lizard-like alien managing the "puny humans" as resources without any empathy or affection for those humans.

I hope things work out for you.

I'm not looking for logic here pal

The few times I was late were due to accidents completely fucking up the works.

You had a 7 minute window to punch in, mine was 0623-0630...before 0623 gave you over time and you got in trouble, after 0630 was a point. I was usually in the 0625 range.
    As I said above, that's a small window. I've seen people sit in their car in a parking lot for 20 minutes trying to comply with similar rules. Especially tough if you commute any distance.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Are you one of the older, higher paid, employees? If the ones fired are all older, higher paid, then age discrimination lawsuit is possible.
    Bill
    I'm 36 lol I can't claim age discrimination yet lolol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen it before- skilled people are expensive- you can get a couple direct labor for 1 skilled indirect- and thats what they want- lower indirect/ burden. You got caught in accounting games.

move on, find someplace that machining is their business or start your own, but my memory of anything they come back and ask you would be dependent on WHO is asking.... been there done that myself. Turned an employer into a good customer of my own shop.

22. Likes DavidScott liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re unionizing, I worked for two companies that unionized while I was there. In the first, I had only recently been promoted to a salaried job so it didn't directly affect me, but the people on the clock were my coworkers and friends, so I knew about their grievances. The man who started the company would invite union organizers in to talk with the workers because he knew that they wouldn't get anywhere. Then the company merged with several others and he took his payoff and went his way, leaving his vice president in the top position. The ex VP was a maniac, throwing tantrums at people who were doing their jobs. It was only a matter of weeks until we started hearing union talk. The second company was similar, an abusive boss who had no one but himself to blame.

Re reasons for terminations, The excuses given are often just excuses or making use of minor infractions. I worked a year at McDonnell Aircraft, pre MD. The floor of the final assembly building was marked off in plane sized rectangles with isles between. We were never supposed to cut through an area unless it was the plane we were assigned to. During the gotterdammerung of the F3H Demon they were cutting back and needed to lay some off. A more experienced hand warned me to be extremely careful because they were looking for excuses to reduce staff. One guy cut a corner of an empty rectangle and got canned for a safety violation. Normally, that would have drawn a stern waning at most.

It sounds like you have been given a way off a sinking ship.

Bill

24. Likes JoeE., metlmunchr liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Plastic, sorry to hear, keep your chin up. It was mentioned that pto is set at beginning of year. It's been my experience that vacation time is accrued throughout the year. If that's the case, don't forget to ask for your vacation time you have earned. Depending on your seniority it could be from one week to several your owed.

26. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have not read all so may be posted

Many states have laws regulating layoffs where the company needs to post notice with government if over some amount and possible restrictions.

By firing they sneak arround this.

IF your record is that good ask labor department to investigate as many HR folks may not have a clue or may be sneaky.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1700-0200 until I said enough in August of 17. It was really affecting my sleep so I had to get a ADA paper signed...
    ADA/OSHA complaints will be reported to the insurer. They heard it as "I can't work safely".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I worked at a place the had two rounds of layoffs right before christmas. One round one year the second the next. I was caught in the second. On the bright side I found a far better job.

As to your ex-company. A national shortage of machinists (and a much more pronounced shortage of GOOD machinists) and you let one go under a less then stellar method. Word of this travels. Good luck hiring.

A local shop is notorious for being bad pay under bad conditions. They have a lot of layoffs and firings. Occasional paycuts. Needless to say word is out and they cant get anyone. If they do they jump ship as quick as possible.

30. Likes Bobw, Jashley73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of my friends worked for a local guy who worked on laying tarmac he employed about 20guys he had a partner who.s wife was in charge of rents for the council her name would be on any eviction notices.One of the guys on the tarmacing asked her do you not feel sorry when your throwing some old lady on the streets.She said no I love my job and enjoy evicting them as they should pay there rents on time.Few years later her husband sold out his share of the tarmacing buisness to go into pubs the no smoking ban came in and his new buisness folded a while later I heard he was evicted by the bank so she must,nt have been paying the morgage.Wonder how she felt as she stood next to her belongins in the street

32. Likes Bobw liked this post