What's new
What's new

OT: Testosterone supplements and the prostate

daryl bane

Titanium
After reading about Tyrone's issues and not wanting to derail his thread, I thought I would ask this knowledgeable group about this. I have an enlarged prostate and have had the elevated PSA(still might be), gotten the biopsy (awful) and all was benign. At last checkup , I asked to check my testosterone level and the Dr. said," it's normal....for a man your age". Hmmm, I thought that might translate to "low", so I asked the Dr. about testosterone replacements, like to to kick it back to a 18 yr old. :) He said that was a bad idea as that can affect my already enlarged prostate and could bring on cancer, like gasoline on a fire. I have heard differing views like its the greatest thing ever, to its a death sentence. So I was wondering what the consensus was here. Thanks.

I don't think there has ever been any evidence that testosterone replacement therapy causes cancer. Some types of prostate cancer are accelerated by testosterone, though. A lot of doctors won't prescribe T if you're in the 'normal' range, but normal, as we age, is not optimal. Find a doctor or clinic that specializes in such therapy and get their opinion.

My doc said they are great until you die from them. He told me the only time I will ever feel 18 again is in my dreams. He was a little cruel but was very positively against any testosterone additives. I often think "sex with another person what a novel idea"

Dr. Steve Hotze has been studying this for years. It seems counter intuitive that testosterone in amounts needed to maintain normal levels could be dangerous. On the other hand I had a friend who took them and liked it how it felt so much he doubled the dose. Now he is divorced and chasing hookers on the internet. Life is a crap shoot.

...On the other hand....Low T is linked to Alzheimer's.

If you take the T supplements, and come down with cancer, at least you can still
decide to off your self.

Well, I asked my doctor about it and he also was not in favor of them. That was a few years ago when I was about 71 or so. I am taking his word on it. Besides, I don't trust a medical treatment that has to spend millions of dollars on advertising.

I think that it's not so much low T, rather high estrogen, causing the problems.

BPA mimics estrogen, and is everywhere.

I just asked my doctor about it Tuesday, and he is dead set against it for otherwise healthy men over 50- too many side effects. To tell you the truth, it's kinda nice not having to deal with thinking about sex all of the time.

Really this for me is kind of a moot point. But back when I was "active" and hitting the weights pretty hard, I was looking for something to improve my gains, which were and still are stagnant. Since the oral cancer, I am not going to do anything that might jump start a reaction, especially in another part of my body. The other thing (and maybe another topic) is I have become quite comfortable being alone, I have a ton of projects to do, and sorry to say just don't miss having to deal with a female. There I said it. Thanks for the replies.

I just asked my doctor about it Tuesday, and he is dead set against it for otherwise healthy men over 50- too many side effects. To tell you the truth, it's kinda nice not having to deal with thinking about sex all of the time.

Who was it that described men's libido as like " Being chained to a raving maniac " ?

Regards Tyrone.

...The other thing (and maybe another topic) is I have become quite comfortable being alone, I have a ton of projects to do, and sorry to say just don't miss having to deal with a female. There I said it. Thanks for the replies.

A partner with a functioning sex drive is a legitimate inducement to start male hormone replacement therapy. Any doctor tells you you're too old, you need another doctor. Mine agrees that my T should be between 900-1000 given the above and the fact that I work fulltime in a competitive industry, never mind I'm 70.

That said, without work and without a partner life would be greatly simplified and you could eliminate the conflict between HRT and an increased likelihood of prostate cancer, supposed or not. If that were my situation I'd probably say, bag the T shots. Unless I needed to use up some disposable income on paid entertainment. Probably the projects would win out.

Reminds me of an old joke: A tired businessman is seated at a table in a bar when an obvious hooker sits down with him and says earnestly, "Mister, I'll do anything you want for fifty dollars." He looks at her for a few seconds, digs out a fifty and slaps it down on the table and says, "Paint my house!"

That would be me.

I can't help but note there is a multi billion dollar industry in 'shit' that people want to ingest to transform themselves into something they ain't. On one hand you have all the dopers and drinkers, then on the other you have all the vitamin/supplement/super food users. They all do two things very well- lighten your wallet and fill your life with false hope.

Here's what you do - you move around, work, eat, pee, poop, and screw in moderation. If any one of those things is lacking, you won't feel so good.

Then, eventually, you die anyway.

There is no magic food, pill, herb, drink. Just like there is no magic spark plug, penetrating oil, motor oil, adjustable wrench, or gasoline additive.

I can't help but note there is a multi billion dollar industry in 'shit' that people want to ingest to transform themselves into something they ain't. On one hand you have all the dopers and drinkers, then on the other you have all the vitamin/supplement/super food users. They all do two things very well- lighten your wallet and fill your life with false hope.

Here's what you do - you move around, work, eat, pee, poop, and screw in moderation. If any one of those things is lacking, you won't feel so good.

Then, eventually, you die anyway.

There is no magic food, pill, herb, drink. Just like there is no magic spark plug, penetrating oil, motor oil, adjustable wrench, or gasoline additive.

Yes, I agree to a point.

We can't stop the influx of GMO's in our foods, the usage of antibiotics, various
other chemicals, including artificial sweeteners & hydrogenated oils as well as brominated oils.

Glyphosphate is so popular, it's found in everyone's urine in the U.S. (linky I can't find anymore, men in the U.S. have 7 times more in their urine, than allowable
in EU water supply).

Perfoa is now documented in 99% of the population.

Let alone purposely fluoridated water, drinking water contaminated with toxic chemicals.

Higher and Higher frequencies being transmitted in larger qty with cell phones,
WiFi etc. Hi-Def T.V.

The air we breath is not contaminated with simple coal smoke as much anymore,
however, more insidious pollutants are being emitted (and with proper permits).
Diesels running running DEF, all gas cars use catalytic converters (remember
that they emit cyanide).

Notice the recent popularity of "oxidizing chemicals" AKA "Febreeze" ?

Virus's never before seen, Lime disease, AIDs.

And the 800 pound gorrilla in the room....the aforementioned BPA.
It's a known endodisrupter.

Last edited:
Reminds me of an old joke: A tired businessman is seated at a table in a bar when an obvious hooker sits down with him and says earnestly, "Mister, I'll do anything you want for fifty dollars." He looks at her for a few seconds, digs out a fifty and slaps it down on the table and says, "Paint my house!"

So, she took the money. He gave her the address, and told her to paint the porch green. When he got home, the porch was the same color it had been. When he ran into her at the bar that night, he asked her about it. She said, “I painted it. But it’s not a porch, it’s a Mercedes...”

Some of the above comments reminded me about a comparison to being married.

"Being married is like chaining oneself to a grizzly and then kicking it"

Not necessarily my sentiments but one I found amusing.

When I was younger, I looked forward to the time when my libido would no longer make me do stupid and expensive things. It no longer does, but I still do.

Pretty interesting read for me. I take medicines that have depreciated my natural T levels and my Dr, upon doing a blood test, ordered injections of testosterone.
Even before all that I had nightly breaks from tender sleep due to an insistent bladder, which another drug remedied for a while. Since the injections it seems to be worse, 5 or 6 times a night.
About old age, as my mom said it, it can be rough but it's better than the alternative.

Doctors are like the rest of us, they all have different opinions.
My Doc believes in maintaining an optimal level of testosterone instead of a "normal" level. "Normal" falls as we age, optimal does not. My daughter is an urologist and she believes the same way.

Back