What's new
What's new

OT Are there any electric weed trimmers with guts?

AndyF

Stainless
It is time to replace my Stihl FS90 trimmer. I've had it for more than 10 years and have reached the point where the scales on repair vs replace are in favor of replacement. Before I go out and buy another Stihl, I wanted to check if anyone has had good experiences with an electric trimmer. I generally use it for 45 minutes or less at a time, but a few times a year, I do some hedgerow or orchard trimming that will be 8+ hours or work. If the electric machine compared with the Stihl in terms of power and cutting ability, I'd buy some extra batteries to allow for an extended run time.

they come with different size batteries like 18v 24v 40v
and batteries can come with different amp hour capacities. lithium batteries much better most older types
usually 18 volt ones are toys

No experience with the heavy duty units but I would check out the units by outfits like Stihl and Husqvarna which are intended for heavy duty and pro use. From what I hear their cordless units are well respected by pros.

I have the Makita 18V twin battery brush cutter, get a good constant 30 minutes run time per set of 4ah batteries at full power, the half power is plenty for most typical grass, with a dual charger 2 sets of batteries will damn near keep you running solid all day with typical pauses to move stuff and such. Same as all there power tool batteries too so loads and loads of compatability.

Takes a real petrol line head or blade and battery lifes better still with a blade. Oh yeah and its near silent and no gas engine issues or fucking leads to trip over, always used mains electric ones here in the past and that cord took more work - management than anything, so good to lose that!

I have a cheap weedeater one with a power cord for near buildings and it does much better since I put larger diameter string in it. That would kill a battery in short order I imagine though.

It is time to replace my Stihl FS90 trimmer. I've had it for more than 10 years and have reached the point where the scales on repair vs replace are in favor of replacement. Before I go out and buy another Stihl, I wanted to check if anyone has had good experiences with an electric trimmer. I generally use it for 45 minutes or less at a time, but a few times a year, I do some hedgerow or orchard trimming that will be 8+ hours or work. If the electric machine compared with the Stihl in terms of power and cutting ability, I'd buy some extra batteries to allow for an extended run time.

I picked up a dewalt 60v unit a few months ago. I highly recommend it!

Amazon.com : DEWALT DCST97X1 Flexvolt 6V Max Cordless String Trimmer : Garden & Outdoor

Check out "OREGON".

I bought a 40 volt OREGON trimmer as an afterthought to get an extra battery
and charger to go with their 40 volt (self sharpening) CHAIN SAW.

Both are IMPRESSIVE !!!

( Ordered from GEMPLERS in Janesville Wisconsin )

Got the 36 V Bosch. Decent machine well up to heavy(ish)domestic work but almost certainly not man enough for all your work. Lighter than the dual battery Makita and 60V DeWalts. Probably about 2/3rd the oomph of adamas dual battery Makita on full power. Always runs over an hour.

Clive

I've been using one of these for several years:

coreoutdoorpower.com/products/

I was not able to get the quick charge system back when I bought it, so I've got 3 battery packs that last maybe 1/2 hour each. By the time I've run those down, I've about had it with trimming for that day :)

I also have the hedge trimmer attachment which works well. I use it to cut down the corn patch (into about 6" long chunks) in my garden prior to mowing everything into oblivion.

I bought a new stihl cordless, light, simple with plenty of guts, no complaints, first saw one being used around the local hospital as they are really quiet, not cheap but a really good piece of kit.
Mark

I have the Makita 18V twin battery brush cutter . .

+1 to Adama's review. The Makita dual-LXT model is very decent for a cordless model. I have both a large Husqvarna and a mid-sized Echo gas powered trimmer (both can take blades) -- and it's no where near that powerful. However, it will motor through pretty thick grass and weeds and is light and balanced enough to be comfortable to use. Might add that the Makita dual battery chainsaw is also pretty decent for limbing -- equivalent maybe to a 25cc gas saw. And their electric trimmer works perfect for the bit of hedge we have out front.

My plot is a large and very steep (as in needing soccer cleats to stay upright) backyard area bordering on a tree-filled canyon that needs weed trimming 3 times a year to keep down the fire danger. An actual gas-powered brush cutter is needed once a year for the tiny saplings and heavier weeds -- but the Makita can keep things down in between. While I used to do the weed eating in a single weekend day -- now I hire it out once a year (that costing about as much as the Makita) and nibble at it an hour or so at a time in between to keep it down.

What I like best about the cordless Makita:
- Only have to mess with alcohol-laden gas and potentially clogged carbs and destroyed fuel lines once a year.
- No gas to buy & stablilize
- Quiet
- Always at the ready if I have an hour or so of time
- The twin 5Ahr batteries and my increasingly old frame seem to give out at about the same time
- Actually an almost pleasant exercise for an old guy
- Easy to cart down below (no gas fumes in the back of an SUV) to do the road behind the property

The main problem with most anything cordless is the batteries. You might as well use them constantly as try to use them every once and a while. For this reason, the "system" you choose for various cordless drills, drivers, saws, grinders, vacs etc. is as important as any decision. Makita's battery tech seems pretty good, the whole line of tools is decent. If you're already into another broad line of cordless tools, that might tip the balance. Ryobi is probably the cheap-but-not-terrible choice. Milwaukee and DeWalt are now probably OK; but I abandoned Milwaukee when it screwed up it's first line of 18v Li ion batteries.

The Stihl FSA65 gets good reviews, but it's $500 and the batteries aren't going to see use in drills, saws, etc. Probably only makes sense for a landscape crew working in areas where quiet is required -- or someone who trims their weeds pretty frequently. Greenworks makes what is apparently a decent low powered trimmer that's more affordable -- but those batteries won't see much use beyond the yard.

Ridgid battery tools come with a lifetime warranty, INCLUDING the batterys. . .

Rob -- you sure they still honor that warranty? A friend used to get battery replacements at Home Depot and was later refused. My recollection is that they started with a lifetime warranty and then had so many bad batteries that it's now a 3 year warranty?? Seems they still claim "lifetime" but lifetime is defined as an actual manufacturing defect -- and Li ion batteries dying after 3 years not a "defect"??

On edit: looks like Ridgid will soon have a string trimmer and does offer both a lifetime battery warranty (if you register the tool and bring all its parts back for inspection) but also these wiggle words: "[FONT=&quot]This Lifetime Service Agreement is not a warranty; it does not alter or limit the 3-Year Limited Service Warranty provided with your product, and it is not intended to create any implied warranties . . ." [/FONT]

Rob -- you sure they still honor that warranty? A friend used to get battery replacements at Home Depot and was later refused. My recollection is that they started with a lifetime warranty and then had so many bad batteries that it's now a 3 year warranty?? Seems they still claim "lifetime" but lifetime is defined as an actual manufacturing defect -- and Li ion batteries dying after 3 years not a "defect"??

They have both lifetime and 3 year from what I understand. If you buy a tool that comes with the battery it is incuded in the lifetime battery replacement. batterys bought by themself are 3 year. Online talk is you may have to send back to ridgid but not positive on that but you will need the copy of the original receipt for them to honor it. I spoke with someone last week at ridgid and he told me get the tool kits with batteries so as to get the lifetime warranty on them.
They even have a special now that if you buy certain drill/driver kits (with 2 batteries) you get a package of 2 batteries FREE.
The 2 batteries that come in the kit are lifetime warranty and the two free batteries are 3 year warranty, not sure how they will tell them apart, I have not purchased it yet, my old bosch's are still barely hanging on.

I'll second the Dewalt 60V. Mine's a year old, and my only reason for keeping the Stihl 82? is heavy duty jungle clearing with the metal blade. The Dewalt battery is really set up like 3 X 20 volts batteries, delivering either 60 volts or 20 volts depending on which tool its attached to. Makes a great combo with the circular saw.

The Stihl FSA65 gets good reviews, but it's $500 and the batteries aren't going to see use in drills, saws, etc. Probably only makes sense for a landscape crew working in areas where quiet is required -- or someone who trims their weeds pretty frequently. Greenworks makes what is apparently a decent low powered trimmer that's more affordable -- but those batteries won't see much use beyond the yard.

I did look at the Stilh, problem is i want a system that i can use with more tools, the stilh is limited to just a hand full of largely gardening type tools. The makita brushless 18V router is bloody awesome. No lead on a router needs to be tried to belive, equally power wise and duration the things as good as a mains machine, 100+ meters of 1/2" radius is no issue with just a single 4 ah battery and its a beast for its size + all the different bases. I do have a couple of 18V metabo drills and a few other metabo tools, but metabo has seamed to have lost its relaibility - quality. Hence im gradually transferring to Makita 18V stiff wider range, great quality and not the stupid crap features that always break on the metabo's. Equally all the Makita tools seam to run so much smoother than the metabo's.

Only fault i can give the Makita strimmer - brush cutter, the horn like handles are fixed, hence its a storage space hog, im sure the old petrol husquavarna my step mum had the handles turned 90 degrees inline with the shaft for simple storage. Its worth mentioning too just how quiet they are also.

It is time to replace my Stihl FS90 trimmer./QUOTE]

It will be worthwhile taking a close look at the Honda HHT35 four stroke bicycle handle trimmer. It runs at 1.2 HP and will take 10" saw blades. These sell for $400 including shipping. The only problem they have is that the supplied string head is useless and needs to be replaced. The FS 90 has the same HP rating. The Honda will have lower vibration,low operating cost, inexpensive Honda mail order parts and easy maintenance. I got 15 years of service, at 100 hours/year from the earlier version, HHT 31 trimmer The HHT35 engine is a big improvement over the original HHT31. A electric trimmer will still have some noise and vibration from the 10,000 rpm string rotation.

For the string trimmer enthusiasts out there cutting down the thistle and rip gut brome:

The Oregon .105" Magnum Gatorline square nylon string is longer lasting than the Stihl .105" square line. It is also less expensive when purchased online.

Robert

Back