What's new
What's new

OT- Is there a reference standard for small 120VAC to 12VDC plug dimensions ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
This for a KPT Diaset tool presetter that came with no power supply brick.... needed plug dimensions are 5.5mm OD and 2.5mm ID....is that standard for typical "~$10 on eBay" 12VDC output type power supplies ?

There are lumpty-bump sizes of plugs/jacks of the coaxial power type, and as far as I have seen, no particular standards for size vs voltage, etc. At least, few seem to pay attention if there are.

The simplest solution is often to just get a plug that fits the jack, and attach it to the cord of a suitable power supply. Digikey should have nearly any plug you want.

As said, if there is a standard, it exists only to be ignored by all.
Not only that, but sometimes center is positive, other times it's negative.
This is where good ol' Radio Smack used to come very handy.
Short of that, the best I could recommend is something like this:
Amazon.com: Belker 30W Universal 3V 4.5V 5V 6V 7.5V 9V 12V AC DC Power Adapter Supply for Household Electronics Routers TV Boxes LCD CCTV Cameras - 0.5A 1A 1.5A 2A 2.5A 2500mA Max.: Home Audio & Theater

Note that the round connector is reversible, so you can go either way on the polarity.

The 115VAC plug is very standardized but I doubt that you are worried about that side.

If you are talking about the plug for the 12 VDC side of the adapter/wall wart, unfortunately, there are no real standards. Well, actually, there are a large number of them. Generally both the OD and the center pin diameter can vary over a considerable range and even with a given OD, the pin diameter can vary over two or more values. There are some combinations that are more common than others, but unfortunately there are no guarantees. And most of the web suppliers of those wall warts are not even aware of the situation.

You can look on web sites like DigiKey, Mouser, and other electronic supply sites and find the plugs and sockets in a wide range of combinations of these two factors. Their search facility will allow you to see just what values are used for those two factors and what combinations are actually used. You can even get spec. sheets on all of them.

Internal Error

Mouser Electronics

https://www.newark.com/

Oddly enough there is some information on Wikipedia if you drill down in to some of the detailed descriptions.

Example: All NEMA 1 devices are two-wire non-grounding devices (hot-neutral) rated for 125 V maximum. 1-15P plugs have two parallel flat blades, [SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]4[/SUB] inch (6.35 mm) wide, 0.06 inches (1.524 mm) thick, [SUP]5[/SUP]⁄[SUB]8[/SUB]–[SUP]23[/SUP]⁄[SUB]32[/SUB] inch (15.875–18.256 mm) long, and spaced [SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]2[/SUB] inch (12.7 mm) apart.

NEMA connector - Wikipedia

-Ron

What amount of current?

Visit local thrift store as they usually have many hanging on the wall.

Often Dell and other computer ones of odd voltages but usually many 12 volt ones with different sizes.

And usually a couple bucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back