UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    [[B]ut in all fairness, cnsidering that he is (apparently) in [the greater] Anchorage area, I would doubt that he does much "Manufacturing" and likely does mostly repair work? And I would think that Manuel equipment would be very well suited for this type work.This doesn't make him a hobby guy by default.
    -Technically I do both. I started out doing (believe it or not) repair and customization work on paintball guns, branched out into short-run manufacturing (I have a limited line of products I make in-house, that I sell online) and have, over the years, added non-paintball repair and one-off build work. I'm currently also doing R&D work under contract to two other paintball companies, and one of the local shops has started handing off some of their overflow oilfield work to me.

As above, that's why I'm kind of 'stuck' trying to get some low-end CNC gear together. A "big" run for me might be just 200 parts. That's too small to get a good price from most production shops (especially considering the price competition I have from other producers for similar parts) and too large to cut on manual machines (although I've done it, plenty of times.)

I've been doing this as a day job- that is, all day, as my only source of income- for 20 years. It stopped being a "hobby" before the turn of the century.

Doc.

3. Likes TheOldCar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On this subject:While the Zone does allow, and possibly even promote the talk of hobby machines and software, it seems that if I have a "higher end" question [if you will] I very well may not get an answer here at all, and may get at least one taker over there. Example - any question that I have ever (?) had about my Cinci Maxim 630 with a 950 control. I don't know if I have ever gotten any help here, but I have a little, and just enough - over there. Plenty of help here for Haas and Fadal, but I aint got neither of them... I find very little help here for Siemens, but not sure if I ever tried over there. And I expect similar results for any questions on the Indramats.So - there are folks over there that come from "Big Mfg Corps" that spend time there. I have also gotten help from [Cinci] service techs over there too.I get the same results with Camsoft questions as well, but I guess I'm quite OK with that.While I find that site WAY too overly polluted to navigate, others appear to like it fine. Personally - I really wish that we had Parent/Child forum layout here. But that place could use it WAY worse than usAnd for what it's worth Doc, I was recently called a "hobbyist" over there. ----------------------------Think Snow Eh!Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tried a few of the hobby machining sites in past years and I found the environment to be very competitive and often rancorous. This site has the best balance of all that I've tried. I think management and moderators do an admirable job on what is and it not hobby level machinery. I still can't edit or get white spaces and emojis. Hopefully they are working on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

]While the Zone does allow, and possibly even promote the talk of hobby machines and software[...]
    -Not from what I've seen. The best that can be said about the PM CNC section is that they're marginally less likely to 'ride you out of town on a rail', like the General section is about hobbyists with 9x20s. There's been virtually no actual discussion of Tormach machines other than to deride them as "toys" or "hobby crap".

The Tormachs seem to be kind of a grey area: They're too "high end" for the home-shop boards, but not high enough for the professional boards. The only place I can get solid info is off YouTube videos.

Doc.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't read this entire thread so pardon me if my question has been answered already. Is there no rule against one individual having several different identities on this forum? I assume the answer is no. If so, I find that extremely unprofessional and sad that someone would feel the need to use different identities.

-Roland (rmcphearson is my only identity here)

8. Likes Ox, eKretz liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rmcphearson View Post
    I haven't read this entire thread so pardon me if my question has been answered already. Is there no rule against one individual having several different identities on this forum? I assume the answer is no. If so, I find that extremely unprofessional and sad that someone would feel the need to use different identities.

There's never been any mystery about it - save in the (alleged) minds of the paranoid who choose to ignore the published rationale so as to fuel their own psychosis. Even lies. Plenty of those in PM's archives. Not MY doing. Some folks are just hard-wired as haters. Better it be directed at me than some other Pilgrim, yah?

BTW... I could have found it "extremely sad" to have had three different New Jersey addresses in a long life as well.

But didn't actually mind. All were for reasons "professional enough".

Belle Mead Depot was just kindergarten as an Army brat - Dad Post Engineer & Deputy Commander.

Old Bridge/Sayreville, A 3-51, 52 Arty. BDE I got to pick on my own. Or my test scores had done for me. Ditto 680th RADRON, BUIC-II, Palermo.

Guess where one stands on an issue depends on where one sits?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by yardbird View Post
    Gerg, On any other day I'd be standing behind you 100 percent on that but "Flip Flops"? Lol... That is not a dig at the OP of that thread BTW just an observation
    Well, you got me there!
    I seldom ever cross paths with him, but that is likely b/c I seldom find my way into the General board."SEARCH" only finds one post of his in "CNC", but in all fairness, cnsidering that he is (apparently) in [the greater] Anchorage area, I would doubt that he does much "Manufacturing" and likely does mostly repair work? And I would think that Manuel equipment would be very well suited for this type work.This doesn't make him a hobby guy by default.-----------------------Think Snow Eh!Ox
    Quote Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
    -Actually, that's precisely my point. I'm quite well aware of the CNC section, and I'm a regular reader in there. That is, reader and not participant, because my current CNC skills are basically nonexistent. Arguably less than nonexistent. I very much need to improve- my shop is about 20 years behind the curve- but the only CNC machines I can currently access and use, and the only ones I'll likely be able to afford to start with for the foreseeable future, are essentially "hobby" ones like the Tormachs, and I know from long experience that such questions are not well tolerated in there. Yes, in five years, I hope to have a proper HAAS or similar "real" machine, but I first have to start with something I can afford, and have the space for. Doc.
    Just to be clear, it wasn't my intention at all to imply that you are somehow unworthy because you don't operate cnc's. The point is that the spirit of assisting others is alive and well on this site, contrary to what you proclaim. And also that one of the most commonly cited arguments against what some people consider unacceptable behaviour is that advertisers and yet-to-be members will be deterred by it, while the cnc sub, being the primary point of interest of such parties in most cases, remains largely civil and on topic.

11. Likes Miguels244 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmcphearson View Post

I don't see any problem, I routinely post using a sock on each hand
    one labelled "myself" and the other "I".....

13. Likes JRIowa, rmcphearson liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I don't see any problem, I routinely post using a sock on each hand
    one labelled "myself" and the other "I".....
    Yer only in trouble if you sit at the keyboard nekked and that THIRD guy raises his head to try and "butt-in".. or "mediate", anyway. Push a scraper 8+ hours a day, you may find the arms, shoulders, and "dinner muscles" are so fatigued that the "little head" has even taken over the keyboarding!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc, we make fun of Haas and Fadal as well.

Why is it such a crazy idea, that we plain don't want to talk about Machinery that isn't in our interests. I don't go to the dirt bike forum and start talking Mopeds and Harleys. I don't go to the Dragster forums and start talking Rice burners. Even though they are all in my interest. Fly-fishing only.com probably doesn't want to talk Deep Sea, ya know?

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sorry but this thread has gotten so off the wall I need to close it. And yes others, like in the manuf. forum are probably way worse but I don't have time to keep up with them so they keep going.

17. Likes litlerob1 liked this post