What's new
What's new

OT... Thy last ditch effort for help unlocking my Facebook account.

yardbird

Titanium
OT... My last ditch effort for help unlocking my Facebook account.

Title is supposed to say: "my last ditch effort for help unlocking my Facebook account" I have no clue how it came out like that?

I'll probably catch a load of shit for this post but you guys are my last hope. On or about the morning of July 2nd I go home after working my third shift, I close down or log off any or all websites or social media as I do most every day, then I hit the sack.

That evening I wakeup have dinner, afterwards check PM then try to turn on Facetalk and get this.

Screenshot_20190706-002806_Facebook.jpg

Which leads to this.

Screenshot_20190706-002847_Facebook.jpg

It then wants to use my phone number to text me a code that I need to enter to prove my identity. Little did I know at the time that I needed to wait 96 hours before I was able to go through this process. Without knowing that I tried this process several times and never received a text message with a code number. Then I got this.

Screenshot_20190706-081456_Facebook.jpg

Then I recieved an email from them acknowledging I was having difficulty logging in.

Screenshot_20190706-095414_Gmail.jpg

Now is when I Googled and see I needed to what 96 hours before trying to fix this problem.

Ok so now I've waited a week or so and try again. I again get the confirm identity screen, on to the next step, I then need to pick 4 comments out of 10 that are mine, which I did fine. Next step is to reset my password to something I've never used before, Ok so I do, instantly I receive an email saying my password was changed and is asking me did I do this? Yes.

Now it wants me to look at recent changes to my account to see if it was actually me that made these changes, all changes were made by me so I picked the "skip" option on all those steps. Even after all that is done perfectly it say that this option is not available at this time. 2 more times a week apart I go through this process with the same results.

Now I have nothing other to assume than initially not waiting the 96 hours has me in some sort of lock down, is all I can figure.

So now I'm here as a last ditch effort to see if anyone can help me recover my account. I've went to Facetalk help page but all their suggestions call for someone being able to login. Despite what's at the top of the Google search Facetalk doesn't offer phone assistance.

The only site that I enter a password that I noticed anything being different was my "Live Nations app" and my "Tick Master app" which both are for buying concert tickets, both apps I've also entered my credit card to buy tickets.

Again I realize several folks here on the PM website say they don't and will never use the popular social media sites but I'm hoping someone my be able to offer some advice on how to recover my Facetalk account.

Thank you for reading. I know it was a long post but I tried to give all the information I could think of.

Brent

A few years ago I got the same message, only they wanted me to upload my drivers license or some such. I refused to do so and have not been able to get back in. I ended up making a new account ( and I never had to confirm my ID on the new one)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A few years ago I got the same message, only they wanted me to upload my drivers license or some such. I refused to do so and have not been able to get back in. I ended up making a new account ( and I never had to confirm my ID on the new one)

Yeah that is what i was trying to keep from having to do. It will probably come down to that. I'd like to poke ole Zuck in the eye a good one. Thanks

Brent

"Facebook?" Sounds "wrong endian" to me. "Asshook", rather...

Why would one NOT expect grief from a Social Disease?

???

Man the paranoia and delusions. :rolleyes5: :wrong:

I've had facebook for 10 years or so and not had any problems.

Yardbird, sorry no ideas to help you.

Do not use any "log in via xxx" things as this cross links things and bad things can happen.

Use a password manager or log in manually to each app.

This is the #1 security tool everyone should be using. On your computer(s) and phone(s).

I am guilty as charged. I have one or two passwords I use for everything. Reason being is I don't have to worry about forgetting it. This has kept me from needing something like a password manager. If I gave everything a different password I'd be screwed because I'd either forget which password went to where or simply forget altogether.

As far as internet sites I probably have three of them I need to login to. Then there is two Google email accounts, one Comcast email, CVS Caremark, Ticketmaster, Live Nation, Facebook, Instagram and probably more.

I looked at a couple "Password manager" apps. I don't understand how they work? So when I go to login to PM what happens? The app logs in for you? Or do you copy and paste your password from the app to whatever it is your logging into? Does the apps essentially do the same as recording all your usernames and passwords in a Google email or on paper in a desk drawer at home?

Are your passwords stored off site so to speak? If my laptop takes a dump or my phone gets broken beyond use how does a user recover their passwords?

I'm all about starting to use a Password manager to keep track of all this for me, I just don't want to be left in a world of hurt if for some reason my things take a poop.

550 people looked at this thread today and not a single person has any ideas as how to recover my Facetalk account. Im now chalking it up to a lost cause.

Thanks everyone for having a look.

Brent

I have one or two passwords I use for everything. Reason being is I don't have to worry about forgetting it. This has kept me from needing something like a password manager. If I gave everything a different password I'd be screwed because I'd either forget which password went to where or simply forget altogether.

No, you would not.

Think it through. "back in the day" the whole world said to never write your password down, somebody would get it. Sanity check sez if you write it on yer undershorts it will be a Hell of a lot harder for some Rooshin half way 'round the world to grab it than if it is on-device, and the device is connected to the 'net - however "safely stored" 'coz PW Managers are one of the things they look for to crack first.

So:

A) DO write it down. But on low-tech media only a home break-in COULD find, and even so, in a place only an FBI - grade multi-day, destroy the whole premises and everything IN it might find. If-even. Get that sort of search, you have bigger problems, anyway - called "rubber hose decryption" wherein they beat a wife or kid while you watch and decide whether or not to give-up the PWD.

B) "same" password need not be 100% "same". Use a core that is easily remembered, fine.

But add a prefix, suffix, or both to the same core. Let the prefix / suffix relate to the site or something else associated with it in your memory.

C) LoginID is first & middle initial, family name? Too easy to assume that for most folks. Change that - much as you do on PM. A password is useless if you do not also know the UserID it goes with.

D) Challenge-response pairs? The Artificial Idiot doesn't really care if the answer is accurate, only that it matches what is on-file.

So one LIES to it.

Ex: It wants your Granma Mary's given name? Which a researcher might find in public records?

Just give it an unrelated lie you can remember such as "2skidmarks" or "trucktires4"'

Unless, of course you are a GENUINE redneck, she was a hippy, and that IS her "real name".

Bill Hacker

.. and yes, it IS my "real name".... dammit...

"Protection"? Obfuscation. IS/IT folk denigrate it, but if it didn't work, why do we spend so much searching for oil or gold or "rare" Earth elements?

An unimaginative clan, we have kept on using the same small number of male given names, about 600 years, already. Google finds rather a lot of folks wearing them, and I ain't they!

:)

No, you would not.

Think it through. "back in the day" the whole world said to never write your password down, somebody would get it. Sanity check sez if you write it on yer undershorts it will be a Hell of a lot harder for some Rooshin half way 'round the world to grab it than if it is on-device, and the device is connected to the 'net - however "safely stored" 'coz PW Managers are one of the things they look for to crack first.

So:

A) DO write it down. But on low-tech media only a home break-in COULD find, and even so, in a place only an FBI - grade multi-day, destroy the whole premises and everything IN it might find. If-even. Get that sort of search, you have bigger problems, anyway - called "rubber hose decryption" wherein they beat a wife or kid while you watch and decide whether or not to give-up the PWD.

B) "same" password need not be 100% "same". Use a core that is easily remembered, fine.

But add a prefix, suffix, or both to the same core. Let the prefix / suffix relate to the site or something else associated with it in your memory.

C) LoginID is first & middle initial, family name? Too easy to assume that for most folks. Change that - much as you do on PM. A password is useless if you do not also know the UserID it goes with.

D) Challenge-response pairs? The Artificial Idiot doesn't really care if the answer is accurate, only that it matches what is on-file.

So one LIES to it.

Ex: It wants your Granma Mary's given name? Which a researcher might find in public records?

Just give it an unrelated lie you can remember such as "2skidmarks" or "trucktires4"'

Unless, of course you are a GENUINE redneck, she was a hippy, and that IS her "real name".

Bill Hacker

Lol! You're funny... Yeah I know your real name, I've stumbled across it here only a time or two. FBI? I'm good, when I was younger the FBI be major cause for concern, today not so much.

Back in the day I used to come up with a sentence like "I live in the big blue house on the hill" so the password would be the first letter of each word in that sentence.

Ilitbbhoth was the password, could also put some number in there if I wanted. Absolutely no association to me at all.

Are you saying the password manager apps are the first thing a hacker tries to get into? It is in fact better / safer to write usernames and passwords on paper then hide it? Hell I'd forget where I hid it, happens all to often as it is. Definitely have to keep that in my wallet.

Brent

No, you would not.

So:

So one LIES to it.

Bill Hacker

This. I'm quite fond of phrases from 'The hunting of the snark' mixed with easy to remember numeric values and a few special characters for blank space replacement.

Good luck cracking a password like that....

NFI about Fauxbook, you're better off banned for life IMO. This place is bad enough for wasting my time.

PDW

Back in the day I used to come up with a sentence like "I live in the big blue house on the hill" so the password would be the first letter of each word in that sentence.

"Back in the day", my Swiss partner & protoge submitted a patch to source code for *BSD Unix that lengthened the maximum UID and PWD strings and the manner in which encrypted.

Our servers. Our rules.

We didn't have to use only the "first letters" of long strings. Song stanzas or poetry could work.

"You may talk of gin and beer...." no help. I know the rest of it, too!

Meanwhile, Black-hats figured Unix/Linux only had 16-characters, wouldn't ordinarily take the humongous extra time to do a brute-force attack out to more than 60 even if they DID twig to that... all the while being logged and backtracked to IP's in PRC. Of course,

Or in one case, Germany. Malicious wanker was VERY surprised when German Federal Police bustid his script-kiddy penguinista arse on a fully-documented brief from their Swiss counterparts. He hadn't a klew how well "undustrial strength" *BSD Unix could keep on carrying a load under a DDOS attack and still have plenty of resources run the backtrace and record it all.

Our servers in Zurich happened to serve a number of Swiss Government websites, y'see.
Which was funny in another way.

We hosted several of the Kantonal anti-drug education and Government drug rehab clinic websites.
And on the same server, hosted many of the "legalize pot" political movements, too!

WTH. They both paid their bills...

And yer wallet would surely NOT be a great place!

The undershorts was a joke example as well.

Anything "on your person" or in the same work area as the 'puter is at increased risk, not lessened.

This. I'm quite fond of phrases from 'The hunting of the snark' mixed with easy to remember numeric values and a few special characters for blank space replacement.

Good luck cracking a password like that....

NFI about Fauxbook, you're better off banned for life IMO. This place is bad enough for wasting my time.

PDW

Heck this place is educational.:D I'd never considered using things like <=×+&$# in my passwords. Good idea!

Brent

"Back in the day", my Swiss partner & protoge submitted a patch to source code for *BSD Unix that lengthened the maximum UID and PWD strings and the manner in which encrypted.

Our servers. Our rules.

We didn't have to use only the "first letters" of long strings. Song stanzaa or poems could work.

Black-hats, meanwhile figured Unix/Linux only had 16-characters, wouldn't ordinarily take the humongous extra time to do a brute-force attack out to more than 60..

And yer wallet would surely NOT be a great place!

The undershorts was a joke example as well.

Anything "on your person" or in the same work area as the 'puter is at increased risk, not lessened.

Well then what's the point of writing them down if you don't have them when you need them. Isn't that the whole point to the password manager? And yes I figured the under britches was a funny.

btw I forgot Amazon they have the same password and credit card also. Typically I click the "remember me" option if available. Keeping track of all this shit has became a freaking nightmare.

Brent

Keeping track of all this shit has became a freaking nightmare.

ABDICATING the "keeping" can become far the greater "nightmare".

I don't even use the "remember me" feature on PM. Nor store the UID or PWD. Nor even bookmark the "login" page. I bookmark a favoured page, I can then login. Or just lurk.

All-manual. Just like my machine-tools, either way.

PDW

Yahbut.. PM has a better balance of nutrition.

Just about the right mix of heroes, saints, contributors, bystanders, cheerleaders, crtics, idjuts, and arseholes there's less need of Vitamin supplements ..... or Probiotics...

Don't ask, either.

You already know there's no more restriction that any of us act in just the ONE role than that we can only own one size of twist-drill!

:D

Back