What's new
What's new

Need end mill ground to size

vonleyser

Cast Iron
Anyone capable of grinding an end mill to a specific size, I am needing a .3795 carbide 4 flute for a job.

OR

Who / what tool supplier can assist me with this.

Thanks in advance
Mark

Especially because it's almost always better to climb cut.

Not cutting a slot, I could have figured that out.
Cutting a circular hole on a manual mill, customer
wants a specific size, I’m tired of putting a piece
of paper in the taper to get a .375 endmill to cut
oversized.
Maybe I should just circular interpolate it manually.

Maybe I should just circular interpolate it manually.

Depends, can you rub your belly and pat your head at the same time?

I have had good luck using a basic cutter grinder to grind an endmill till it looked like a shallow angle dovetail cutter for use plunging.

You also haven't mentioned tolerance, depth, finish, or hole profile. Is it flat bottomed in a blind hole 2" deep or a through hole? Material and material condition? How many pieces? Others have made some good suggestions but perhaps a little more information can result in solutions that would better suit your circumstances. One suggestion, circular interpolation on a manual mill will likely result in a hole that's not very round or to a targeted 4 place decimal (.3795). Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to get you where you need to be for others to help you.

You also haven't mentioned tolerance, depth, finish, or hole profile. Is it flat bottomed in a blind hole 2" deep or a through hole? Material and material condition? How many pieces? Others have made some good suggestions but perhaps a little more information can result in solutions that would better suit your circumstances. One suggestion, circular interpolation on a manual mill will likely result in a hole that's not very round or to a targeted 4 place decimal (.3795). Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to get you where you need to be for others to help you.

Blind hole
Material is both Magnesium & Aluminum
Head of mill tilted 15 degree
36 holes on one part
24 holds on another
.230 deep on the deepest side
Cermatic buttons are installed
My tolerance is .379 to .3795 works the best

I was being sarcastic about circular interpolation

Blind hole- End mill or boring head (much slower) Can you relieve the center of the hole?
Material is both Magnesium & Aluminum- Use kerosene or something made for the white metals, evacuate chips often w/air
Head of mill tilted 15 degree- spot face for full contact of final cutter size to avoid partial contact deflection
36 holes on one part- HSS will hold up just fine, be cheaper/easier to obtain and less likely to chip
24 holds on another- Only two parts in total? HSS over carbide for reasons above
.230 deep on the deepest side- Bottom of hole (square corners?) and taper of end mill face (most are) a problem? Center relief in part (if possible) helps a lot
Cermatic buttons are installed- Better mic the button, most ceramic doesn't like to be squeezed very much
My tolerance is .379 to .3795 works the best- You know your job better than I would

I was being sarcastic about circular interpolation- I'm a little slow to catch on sometimes.

Last edited:
I'd go either the reamer route, or boring head. A ground emdmill may still cut a taper or possibly score the walls a bit. In a manual, it is quite possible that the emdmill you purchase may have a slight runout to it when in a collet clamped up, and won't "float" like a reamer would, producing an oversized hole. That is alot of holes, and understand your concern. Best of luck.

Back