What's new
What's new

OT--This tooling website tracks your visits and the IP address of your computer

Mikel Levy

Aluminum
I purchased some items from a website called allindustrial.com. Thereafter, whenever I browsed their website (without making a purchase), I would receive an email referencing one or more items I had viewed. Obviously they not only recorded my visits (easy to do with Google Analytics and not unusual), but were actually able to identify my IP address. I have never experienced this with any other website, although it could be happening without my knowledge. Anyway, I find this extremely creepy and an invasion of my privacy. What do you people think? Are most websites doing this now?

Mike

They may just be using a cookie with your info to respond. Delete your cookies and history and see if that stops it.

Steve

This is why I deal with face to face tool reps no websites except tool manufacturers if I need tool specs and recommended speeds and feeds. I get the occasional updates regarding new tooling and that’s about it. It’s nice not having to sort through the junk to find all the important stuff.

They may just be using a cookie with your info to respond. Delete your cookies and history and see if that stops it.

Steve

+1 on the cookies. Some browsers (firefox) delete your cookies when you log out or shut down. Amazon is notorious for the same deal. I have been deleting my cookies regularly during my surf sessions.

If you want to see whats on a web page by the very definition of things they have to know your IP adress to send that pages data too. Just like paper copies have to be sent to your street address or paranoid little PO box.

its not a conspiracy, its a basic function of how the web works. Just like too look in a paper catalog you have to open it and use enough light to see it + give the company your bloody address to send it to you in the first place.

Morons like you are why us poor EU citizens get bombarded with things about cooky privacy policys and all the other crap we do every time we go to a new to us website. Honestly, privacy is dead, you don't want them to know about you, never visit there site and sure as hell never buy anything from them. Just please oh god don't make the rest of us have to tick yet more boxes because your concerned about this crap and too pig ignorant to learn the basics of how the WWW as we all know and use it functions. If you don't want that, please feel free to return to the dark ages, just please to god don't legislate more bloody small print and check boxes on the rest of us!

+1 on the cookies. Some browsers (firefox) delete your cookies when you log out or shut down. Amazon is notorious for the same deal. I have been deleting my cookies regularly during my surf sessions.

Yeah and what do you think that realy results in, its all logged there end and every time you then go back you have to reload all that data. Its not the cookies at your end were the problem lies unless you get hacked - are upto shit you should not be and they end up being used as evidence against you. its the one at the other end that lets "the man" track you and do the targeted adds.

Ebay is always sending notifications for things I browsed; Is that something different? It might only be a link someone posted here that I clicked on or something I selected while browsing for something needed or just bargain hunting. They range from telling me an item is ending soon or an item has been relisted, kind of irritating junk mail.
Dan

its all logged there end and every time you then go back you have to reload all that data.

Why would I have to reload all that data if it's all logged there end?

An aside.... You have, I'm sure, heard that if you don't delete your cookies after some shopping/surfing sessions (air fare for example), when you do return, the price has gone up due to dynamic pricing.

As others have pointed out practically everyone's doing this these days. I was reading an article where Target figured out some 16yr old girl was pregnant before her father. Usually these games are played by looking at your cookies. I was sitting next to a guy on an airplane once who was telling me all about the games he plays searching for airplane tickets. Seems the airlines figure out that the first few times you search a flight you are just watching to see how the prices change day by day. This guy explained to me they tend to lower them and lower them as if they are reeling you in over a period of days, then all of a sudden they will start raising them again to almost tell you to hurry up and but them. This guy seemed to have it all planned out and when he saw the prices started going up he said you often could dump your cookies and start the game all over again this time with a better idea where their bottom is. I am sure if you Google it you will find out all the tricks. None the less get used to it as it is the way the world is going. On the other hand I am not sure if it is that bad of a thing. Look at it this way if a vendor knows I am in need of a widget cause I just searched one in a competitors site and now they want my business and are willing to offer me a better deal to win my business isn't that a good thing?

As others have pointed out there's no such thing as privacy on the internet, get used to it and if you can even try to figure out ways to take advantage of it

I was shopping the Neiman-Marcus website for a Xmas present for my brother. Now every morning I get these pop up ads from them. It's a girl in french cut panties. Really nice.

As others have pointed out practically everyone's doing this these days. I was reading an article where Target figured out some 16yr old girl was pregnant before her father. Usually these games are played by looking at your cookies. I was sitting next to a guy on an airplane once who was telling me all about the games he plays searching for airplane tickets. Seems the airlines figure out that the first few times you search a flight you are just watching to see how the prices change day by day. This guy explained to me they tend to lower them and lower them as if they are reeling you in over a period of days, then all of a sudden they will start raising them again to almost tell you to hurry up and but them. This guy seemed to have it all planned out and when he saw the prices started going up he said you often could dump your cookies and start the game all over again this time with a better idea where their bottom is. I am sure if you Google it you will find out all the tricks. None the less get used to it as it is the way the world is going. On the other hand I am not sure if it is that bad of a thing. Look at it this way if a vendor knows I am in need of a widget cause I just searched one in a competitors site and now they want my business and are willing to offer me a better deal to win my business isn't that a good thing?

As others have pointed out there's no such thing as privacy on the internet, get used to it and if you can even try to figure out ways to take advantage of it

Yes but the cookies are only part of it, the data still comes and goes to your IP address, its literally your connection - letter box on the web. Do to changes in the law here in Europe ever more of this kinda dynamic pricing will become based on removing thoes kinda cookies and just logging the IP address and basing the pricing on that.

Please understand on line your identity is very much out there for all to see unless your taking measures far beyond deleting your cookies. Reality is not that your sitting in your basement behind a desk, its far more like your standing out in public with a pretty large bill board of all your recent data for all to see. Companies like google know a lot about you and put truly massive amounts of money into predicting just what it is you want next. Its why if i google something my results will be diffrent to some one else googling the exact same thing. The whole web is some what targeted, that can be a blessing and a curse, but cookies are only one part of it. Please if you want to remain hidden you need to learn a hell of a lot more about it than simply deleting cookies. Its akin to having 5 locks on the front door but leaving every other window and door unlocked and open as a home security measure.

You do know the difference between your IP and Mac address I would guess? (both of which are exposed in your header you pass in each message).
Everyone knows both, you sent it to them. This has to fall under Duh if you can read a header or understand how the system works..
Or maybe you are flying blind?
There is a whole lot more than your text in a message packet. Actually the text is usually a small amount of the data in the pipe unless you are long winded like me.
There are many other paths to you also. I doubt you have a static IP to your machine unless you paid extra for it.
Why be so worried? Get off the net or route otherwise if you are being bad. There are tools but .......

I never understand the paranoid "invasion of privacy" viewpoint when people get surprised by this end.
It's really about pushing ads and no big deal.
The ads then pop up in unexpected places and they are "Oh My Gawd, the sky is falling, We are all doomed, They are spying on us".

It's a new world.
Don't want to play...Toss your cell phone, get off the net... many lived just fine without such for a a very long time.
Want to be connected, guess what, you signed up on your own to the new digital world.
At this point you kissed being anonymous goodbye and it was your choice as you decided you wanted to play.
Bob

I month or 2 ago, they said on the news that the department of energy just started up the newest, biggest, server system in the world. IBM built it I think.

Maybe the CIA or NSA or FB or GOOG needed more space. People don't realize that the government and companies have their hand in everything for spying and selling. Even smart TVs are spying on people.

How many forums are constantly being watched?

Do you wonder why you get called from a computer that hangs up on you in 5 seconds? That's because companies sell 1,000 names and numbers for $27. But what if you knew what was the best time to get a hold of someone... That list is now worth $100 and all you needed was a program.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Don't want to play...Toss your cell phone, get off the net... many lived just fine without such for a a very long time.
That's what this retarded push for https is going to cause. Those of us who do not want a camera in our underwear drawer will have to leave.

It's probably a good thing, actually. The place is more of a home shopping channel than useful resource now.

Morons like you are why us poor EU citizens get bombarded with things about cooky privacy policys and all the other crap we do every time we go to a new to us website. ... If you don't want that, please feel free to return to the dark ages, just please to god don't legislate more bloody small print and check boxes on the rest of us!

Uncharacteristically snarky and mean-spirited adama. Having a bad day?

I'd argue that there's a lot of really intrusive, needless, paternalistic European law that probably are what cause the US sites to pop up all the cookie messages. Although we get them here, too.

I purchased some items from a website called allindustrial.com. Thereafter, whenever I browsed their website (without making a purchase), I would receive an email referencing one or more items I had viewed. Obviously they not only recorded my visits (easy to do with Google Analytics and not unusual), but were actually able to identify my IP address. I have never experienced this with any other website, although it could be happening without my knowledge. Anyway, I find this extremely creepy and an invasion of my privacy. What do you people think? Are most websites doing this now?

Mike
banks and youtube and even netflix does this every time. i have browser set to delete cookies and history when i close browser. i have to log back in to netflix and i get email from netflix telling me my computer logged on to netflix. i get email cause i delete cookies and history when browser closes

i get email from netflix telling me my computer logged on to netflix. i get email cause i delete cookies and history when browser closes
Gmail does this when you use a different computer or go to a different place. "Oh noes ! Someone logged into your acount from a different city !"

Yeah. That's why I bought a laptop, assholes. Now go mind your own business.

Back