Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of the videos on Youtube seem to be of trains running with leaky exhausts or missing mufflers but this one gives a pretty good representation of what they should sound like I think.

https://youtu.be/QmWzDG4TbYM

2. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AJ H View Post
    We have plenty of trolls here to sit under the bridge. Someone will have to schedule a rotation.
    Will you settle for photographs propped up under said bridge abutment ?

4. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

D,

Get in touch with the right people, and you can have a small army of train-buff volunteers to help you build a railroad and fix-up equipment.

I’ve always wanted to build an outdoor railroad, with some of the same engineering and maintenance challenges the real railroads have, it would be cool!

ToolCat Greg

6. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is the drive system gears or hydraulic? I know Krauss-Maffei tried hydraulics full size and it did not last too long.
    Bill D.

Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 - Wikipedia

8. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If any of you have deep pockets I have a running 36 gauge steam Locomotive with cars and track that could be had with enough zero,s...Phil

10. Likes dkmc, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    D,

Get in touch with the right people, and you can have a small army of train-buff volunteers to help you build a railroad and fix-up equipment.

I’ve always wanted to build an outdoor railroad, with some of the same engineering and maintenance challenges the real railroads have, it would be cool!

ToolCat Greg
    Years ago I played with the idea of setting up a miniature railroad in our surplus yard, complete with a little crane and some flatbed cars to load stuff onto, then I found out how much people wanted for little locomotives....

12. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rent a handcar 150$ and you have to pump.
    Bill D
    What is a handcar? – Handcar Tours

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Years ago I played with the idea of setting up a miniature railroad in our surplus yard, complete with a little crane and some flatbed cars to load stuff onto, then I found out how much people wanted for little locomotives....

More than half the fun in playing with model locomotives of that size is building it.

15. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    No track. New rail is aprox. $10 PER FOOT at this point. Used is out there.
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/t-posts

The T fence posts make serviceable rails if you are just messing around in your yard, and they aren't $10
    a foot. If you have 100 trains coming over every weekend, NO.. But for YOU.. In your yard.. Perfectly
    doable and acceptable. Not perfect.. But NOT $10 a foot.

17. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    A lot of the videos on Youtube seem to be of trains running with leaky exhausts or missing mufflers but this one gives a pretty good representation of what they should sound like I think.
    https://youtu.be/QmWzDG4TbYM
    In my book, you are spot on. I don't like the straight piped ones, and that's not what was intended. There is considerable room underneath, and with some creative "muffler engineering" an even more realistic exhaust note may be able to be engineered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    What is the drive system gears or hydraulic? I know Krauss-Maffei tried hydraulics full size and it did not last too long.
    Bill D.Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 - Wikipedia
    Fluid coupling on the engine, FW-N-REV straight cut gear transmission, and worm gearboxes on the axles. Some have been converted to hydraulic drive. Some purists frown on non-OEM drive trains. I don't think worn gearboxes enjoy acceleration-deceleration duty much. And they don't coast at all. Probably explains why the bronze worm wheels in the axle drives were (and still are) a popular maintenance item.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    If any of you have deep pockets I have a running 36 gauge steam Locomotive with cars and track that could be had with enough zero,s...Phil
    PLEASE Sir, share some pics!

19. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    D,
    I’ve always wanted to build an outdoor railroad, with some of the same engineering and maintenance challenges the real railroads have, it would be cool! ToolCat Greg
    I've been contemplating spreading the word so to speak, see if it sparks any interest. I brought the engine home last Thursday up RT15, in the slow lane and I was surprised at the horn honks I got from several cars passing in the fast lane. Then there is a weekly car show at a local shopping center parking lot on Fridays from 4 till 8, and I thought, as long as it's strapped to the trailer until Saturday,.....So I reached out to the organizers of the event, sent a picture, and they were like "heck yes, bring it down"! So we took it down, and it actually drew a crowd and generated a LOT of questions several times in the 90 minutes we were there. It was pretty awesome to see the interest. I wasn't thinking of taking it any place after I got it off the trailer, onto a makshift dolly, and inside the shop. But now, maybe there will be future "progress exhibits". Who knows!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/t-posts
    The T fence posts make serviceable rails if you are just messing around in your yard, and they aren't $10
    a foot. If you have 100 trains coming over every weekend, NO.. But for YOU.. In your yard.. Perfectly
    doable and acceptable. Not perfect.. But NOT $10 a foot.
    Not a bad idea Bob! Maybe T posts welded to 1/4 or 5/16 flat bar as ties. Several 'panels' of track that bolt together......for test purposes.
    Guys have also done similar with rectangular flat steel for the rail part. 3/4 x 1-1/2 or 3/4 x 2. Still probably lower cost than used rail at $4/foot.
    I'm several light years away from needing track at this point tho!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find it hard to believe 12 lb rail is $10/ft, you need to do some shopping I think that about 2.50 a lb and rail is the cheapest iron one can buy...Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    I find it hard to believe 12 lb rail is $10/ft, you need to do some shopping I think that about 2.50 a lb and rail is the cheapest iron one can buy...Phil

I guess they can ask that for it Phil...
    New Rail

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will check with Hammer steel, over the years I bought a lot of tee rail from them...The rail in my train track is 40/60 lb rail used from a mine that shut down years ago...Phil

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my book, you are spot on. I don't like the straight piped ones, and that's not what was intended.
    I wonder if you could put a honkin' big flywheel on the motor and drop the idle speed way down ? Explore some audio tuning to the exhaust to damp the higher pitches and enhance the low .... ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    I wonder if you could put a honkin' big flywheel on the motor and drop the idle speed way down ? Explore some audio tuning to the exhaust to damp the higher pitches and enhance the low .... ?
    Isn't the OEM loco a "SCREAMING DEETROIT" ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Isn't the OEM loco a "SCREAMING DEETROIT" ???
    EMD F3 - Wikipedia

The F3 used a 16-cylinder 567B series diesel engine developing 1,500 hp (1.1 MW) at 800 rpm. The 567 was designed specifically for railroad locomotives, a mechanically scavenged, or "blown" 2 stroke 45 degree V type with 567 cu in (9.29 L) displacement per cylinder, for a total of 9,072 cu in

"Screaming" at 800 RPM. yes.

28. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

EMD F3 - Wikipedia

The F3 used a 16-cylinder 567B series diesel engine developing 1,500 hp (1.1 MW) at 800 rpm. The 567 was designed specifically for railroad locomotives, a mechanically scavenged, or "blown" 2 stroke 45 degree V type with 567 cu in (9.29 L) displacement per cylinder, for a total of 9,072 cu in

"Screaming" at 800 RPM. yes.
    So you can swap out the v-4 Wisconsin, and put in a 3-53 ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Near me is a Heisler Locomtive on display in a park. How about converting to drive shaft like that type. You could drive just one axle in the front and rear trucks. Use something like a geared hummer axle as a gearbox driving one axle..
    Chain drive like old trucks come to mind as well.
    Bill D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails heisler-drive-train.jpg