What's new
What's new

OT Transmission Dipstick

scojen

Stainless
Ok my son is try to keep a 95 Mustang 3.8 engine running long enough to keep getting around in his job hunt. The transmission has bad seals and requires a fluid top off about once a week. He lost the dipstick for the transmission chances of finding one are rather slim short of a junk yard trip. I can make one to get by with from scraps in the shop. Problem is how long should it be.

Howsabout this?

1992-24 Ford Mustang Automatic Transmission Fluid Dipstick OEM XR3Z7A2BA

Which is the same as below if'n you don't like EBAY

1992-24 Ford Mustang Automatic Transmission Fluid Dipstick OEM XR3Z7A2BA | Genuine Ford | XR3Z-7A2-BA : Quirk Auto Parts | OEM & Aftermarket Car, Truck, SUV, & Van Parts and Accessories

or

Amazon.com: 1992-24 Ford Mustang Automatic Transmission Fluid Dipstick OEM XR3Z7A2BA: Automotive

Couldn't find a length or dia or particulars for o-ring dia and fill markings. Could always buy one, measure it and return it if you are hellbent on making one. Although the shaft is wire so probably has to flex in multiple directions,so flat stock "may" not work. Good luck.

JR

Running the trans consistently at too low levels will prematurely wear the trans...Burn clutches. So having a correct reading dipstick is just necessary IMO. Especially since he has leaks. And...Overfilling can cause fluid to run out the dipstick tube....causing a fire hazard.Trans fluid spilled on a hot exhaust manifold can flash pretty easy. I've had it happen to me.
Personally....I would really try to find a vehicle with the Exact same powertrain to uses as a pattern. Or best yet...Go to a junkyard and buy the right stick. But make sure its the same trans. The wrong stick is useless.

Why waste time and dick around w/ junkyards, ebay etc. Take the cars VIN # to the dealer and get the right dipstick and be done with it.

What is the cost from the dealer? If prohibitive, get the FoMoCo p/n and order it from a Ford dealer that sells on Amazon. As they will discount the part further. And you can be certain the ATF level can be kept where it should be.

Ok my son is try to keep a 95 Mustang 3.8 engine running long enough to keep getting around in his job hunt. The transmission has bad seals and requires a fluid top off about once a week. He lost the dipstick for the transmission chances of finding one are rather slim short of a junk yard trip. I can make one to get by with from scraps in the shop. Problem is how long should it be.

Other than what Mark (morsetaper2) said, the "old way" for engine or trans DIY/modified "universal" dipsticks where a recycled engine or trans came in the door without, was to do a drain and refill with exact amount of lube spec'd. Unit - or entire vehicle - on level ground. MARK the new dipstick one unit before final top-up, then again at final. Not hard. Just tedious.

Present prices for ATF, "free" time on one's hands between job seeking interviews, not sure I'd long put up with that sort of leaker, anyway. OTOH, who "loses" a dipstick to begin with? Replacing seals may be above his current pay-grade?

Tell your son to go to the junkyard, or to order one from any of the 4,536 online sources. I'm assuming he is at least 16 years old if he's driving, hence able to get his own dipstick. That way he'll feel a sense of atonement for having lost the dipstick in the first place and you will rest better knowing you're raising a kid who can take of hisself.

Who loses a dipstick? Who seeks to make their own?

Where is John Welden when ya need him.....?

Drain trans, fill with correct amount of fluid, run for ten minutes, let sit until cool then measure fluid level while cold.

That way you won't have to run the car to operating temp to check fluid, you'll be able to check it cold without reading super high.

This is an automatic, right? I might've missed it but I don't believe you specified.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Drain trans, fill with correct amount of fluid, run for ten minutes, let sit until cool then measure fluid level while cold.

That way you won't have to run the car to operating temp to check fluid, you'll be able to check it cold without reading super high.
Sometimes. Most of us know where any vehicle we have owned for "a while" reads when cold already.

If that was actually a good idea "universally", the Automakers would have beaten you to it - even included a level-sensor.

Think about it. WHICH automatic trans? How much do you know about where fluid parks itself and how soon - or even IF - it drains back?

You want to risk blowing seals? Burning clutches? Or - since autos get DRIVEN now and then, anyway, just check it the way it was specified it be checked?

If it even HAS either dipstick or fill tube. Fewer and fewer do, of late.

He loses the dipstick :dopeslap: . . . . . and needs employment.

Make's perfect sense to me.

Dunno about "perfect", but then... "Opportunity" there, perhaps. Folks have built significant enterprises to serve the market for replacement of "lost" items, useful or otherwise.

Hymens, even....

Dunno about "perfect", but then... "Opportunity" there, perhaps. Folks have built significant enterprises to serve the market for replacement of "lost" items, useful or otherwise.

Hymens, even....

Which reminds me of a T-shirt slogan that makes me :D.

"No Mam. I'm not a Gynecologist, but I'll take a look if you like."

Sometimes. Most of us know where any vehicle we have owned for "a while" reads when cold already.

If that was actually a good idea "universally", the Automakers would have beaten you to it - even included a level-sensor.

Think about it. WHICH automatic trans? How much do you know about where fluid parks itself and how soon - or even IF - it drains back?

You want to risk blowing seals? Burning clutches? Or - since autos get DRIVEN now and then, anyway, just check it the way it was specified it be checked?

If it even HAS either dipstick or fill tube. Fewer and fewer do, of late.
Most people don't know what it reads when cold, because very few ever check. Most car owners don't even know where their ATF dipstick is without specifically looking for it.

I think it's a plenty good idea, anyways.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Back