OT- Truck CEL code P0030 repair more likely to involve replacing oxygen sensor or
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default OT- Truck CEL code P0030 repair more likely to involve replacing oxygen sensor or

is it sometimes a blown fuse or wiring issue ? If so, any estimates of how often it is one issue versus the other ? 2011 Chevy Express w/ gas V8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

80%-90% of the time its a bad O2 sensor when you get a heater circuit code, the heating element broke. You can ohm it out, or key on and feel the sensor with your hand/ir gun and see if its heating.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’ve found both bad sensors and blown fuses due to a short to ground on the heater supply circuit. And bad sensors are most common root cause. In my experience about 20 sensors to each wiring fault.
    Joe

4. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What Joe said.

In the years I was in Hong Kong half and more the year, vehicle sitting, I'd need new ones every two years. Sta-bil in the fuel and change sensors or no Sta-bil and may as well change vehicles.

ONE sensor on a MOPAR van, Pontiac sedan, Jeep/GMC cross-breed, or GMC p/u, not a big deal.

Four of them on a Jaguar, and much more expensive, each? I don't let that one just SIT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great answers.... so now I may complicate matters by saying the vehicle is also throwing codes -

P0053
    P0135
    P0442

Would fixing P0030 likely clear P0053 and P0135 as well ? And could P0442 somehow be related as well ? Or could (P0442) gas fume escape actually cause the first three codes to come on ?

The vehicle has not been used for months ..... if that might cause all this, how does it happen.... gas octane issues, or ?

P0030 showed up prior to last "long sleep" and when reset with the OBD it came back within 20 miles of driving. Don't recall seeing the other three codes the first time the CEL came on...so wondering if vehicle sitting without use for so long might be related to any of this ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Zero chance on the P0442 causing the rest... a large evap leak and an evap purge flow code would indicate a stuck open purge solenoid which will cause fuel trim related issues, but not a P0442.

Sitting is hard on vehicles... with those codes almost 100% sure you have a bad O2 sensor. The evap leak, those are all over the place. Just check the seal on the gas cap.

8. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Great answers.... so now I may complicate matters by saying the vehicle is also throwing codes -

P0053
    P0135
    P0442

Would fixing P0030 likely clear P0053 and P0135 as well ? And could P0442 somehow be related as well ? Or could (P0442) gas fume escape actually cause the first three codes to come on ?

The vehicle has not been used for months ..... if that might cause all this, how does it happen.... gas octane issues, or ?

P0030 showed up prior to last "long sleep" and when reset with the OBD it came back within 20 miles of driving. Don't recall seeing the other three codes the first time the CEL came on...so wondering if vehicle sitting without use for so long might be related to any of this ?
    Long periods of sitting cause lots of things which may then cascade, yes. I cannot much be bothered chasing them until I have run the old tankful out and am at least 25-50% through a fresh fill-up, and a run long enough to get EVERYTHING up to temperature and keep it there for a while.

I leave a reader/cleardown device connected that first old tankful. Now and then it may go into limp-home mode, need cleared at-speed.

Several if not most - sometimes ALL - will have cleared by the first decent run on fresh fuel. THEN one chases any as are left.

10. Likes awake liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizingkid View Post
    Sitting is hard on vehicles... with those codes almost 100% sure you have a bad O2 sensor.
    Possibly stupid question, but is there just one O2S ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

2011 is going to have 4, one pre and one post cat sensor per bank. The P0030 is Bank1 Sensor 1, so a drivers side front or upstreem O2 sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizingkid View Post
    2011 is going to have 4, one pre and one post cat sensor per bank. The P0030 is Bank1 Sensor 1, so a drivers side front or upstreem O2 sensor.
    Yikes...if any of the other 3 went bad would there be yet more codes other than the codes I am getting ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yikes...if any of the other 3 went bad would there be yet more codes other than the codes I am getting ?
    Certainly!

If you do not have the vehicle specific manual on CD and HDD, nor an analyzer that has them loaded for that vehicle with text explanation, you can find your vehicle by MY, etc and VIN range online to get the rest of the codes that KK implied explained.

CAVEAT: There is more to it than just the code. Some circumstances will set a code as a byproduct of some other component fail. Many fails are just part of a more complex fault. Some faulting is situational and transitory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    CAVEAT: There is more to it than just the code. Some circumstances will set a code as a byproduct of some other component fail. Many fails are just part of a more complex fault. Some faulting is transitory.
    Hmmm...sounds familiar...like a CNC control that throws a strange code that ends up being low oil in the automatic way oiler.... or low parameter memory battery for one axis throwing about six more faults that all go away with a new battery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An 02 heater circuit fault is 90% of the time indicative of one thing, the heating element failed. Now if you had lean codes for one bank thats a whole different story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yea, bad heater in the O2. I'd toss a sensor in it, tighten the gas cap and clear the codes - drive it a bit and see what comes back.

18. Likes Joe Rogers liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm...sounds familiar...like a CNC control that throws a strange code that ends up being low oil in the automatic way oiler.... or low parameter memory battery for one axis throwing about six more faults that all go away with a new battery.
    Some autos even use the same bus technology and protocols as CNC, VFD, etc, do, and yes low battery Voltage can be an issue. But they are usually related in a rational manner if you grok the rest of the system, either case.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The heater circuit in GM drivetrains O2 sensors is a battery voltage circuit. Most sensor supply circuits are 5 volt circuits and are split into busses some with 5 or more sensors. If you lose one of those busses due to a short to ground you need to bring a lunch. As a result of the lower voltage on the sensor supply and signal circuits, high resistance in the circuits is an issue. Most connectors are weather protected as a result and terminal fretting due to vibration can rear its ugly head. Lots of faults can be cleared and fixed for a long time by cycling the connectors. I got into the habit of lubing every connector I manipulated with proper dielectric grease.
    Joe