What's new
What's new

OT — Truck tires.

henrya

Titanium
Almost time for new shoes for my F150 Super Crew 4wd. I’d like something with some off road ability and still quiet on the road. A unicorn for sure.

Thinking of Bridgestone AT Revo 3, Faulken AT3W, Firestone Destination, Goodyear something? Open to your informed suggestions.

I’m a cooper fanboy.

Cooper Discoverer ATP. I believe they are exclusive to Discount Tire/America’s Tire. Got them in the LT variety on my 1/2 ton and after 40k miles they have a whole lot of life left, are wearing nicely, and aren’t overly noisy. They’ve seen a healthy balance of asphalt, gravel, and dairy farm.

Wife’s 1/2 ton has a set of Passenger variety Discoverer AT3’s. She has maybe 5k miles on them, almost exclusively highway, but so far so good. I had a set of AT3’s on a previous vehicle and never had an issue with them.

Good tire maintenance has helped, I believe. Regular rotation and proper inflation.

Both the ATP and AT3 are all-terrains and made in USA.

Almost time for new shoes for my F150 Super Crew 4wd. I’d like something with some off road ability and still quiet on the road. A unicorn for sure.

Thinking of Bridgestone AT Revo 3, Faulken AT3W, Firestone Destination, Goodyear something? Open to your informed suggestions.

Tirerack has been my "informed suggestion" start-point for ages.
The user reviews once you think you have your "shortlist" of possible winners.

The best ones CHANGE over a period of years as they compete. So do I.

Look for long mile experience as close to your own as you can find.

What some housewife hauling peat-moss or grocery shopping likes for low-noise on clean, no road-hazard surfaces won't be much use but for the count and dollars spent where tire sidewall and carcass get ruint before they wear much tread off atall.

You want "quiet" over "affordable", best get some secondary set of wheels for Sunday go to meetin', then.

Cheaper than a one-size-fits all NOT ... "Unicorn."

BTW.. decent 4WD also means you have less NEED of any sort of "scare the bikers" eat-em-up dig deeper holes FASTER uber-cleats!

"Finesse", skill, and 4WD can do fine with a smoother, quieter tread. Farmers had done it for generations of rolling OVER shitty surfaces instead of digging for bedrock before the "cleat-class" were first molded to swing-dick harder and messier!

Gets better GRIP? Yah. But on WHAT? The top layer of semi-liquid s**t?
What attaches that s**t to the NEXT layer, below it? Well.. just fling it away, dig down and see?

:D

But it is still a Ford 150.

Not an all-aluminium Ford-vintage Jaguar!

Speaking of "Sunday go to meetin'" wheels!

When I wore out the super swamper m16s (loud...think propeller driven plane) on my diesel silverado I replaced them with Cooper discoverer s/t Maxx tires. They were quiet and did well off road and in snow...not as good as the super swampers though. I had a mud addiction lol

On a light truck like an f150 I could see the cooper's going an easy 60k as they are E rated tires.

Someone's bullshit button's got stuck.

You mean "gratuitous commentary".

Call yer wife. She'll have the most practice at sorting it.

WTF would a labourite know about truck tires anyway? You lot walked to work on wooden sabots just to put it up the noses of Management toffs in their Rovers - or in your ancient case, Morris Cowleys - when yah heaved a brickbat at the windscreen.

Last edited:
When I wore out the super swamper m16s (loud...think propeller driven plane) on my diesel silverado I replaced them with Cooper discoverer s/t Maxx tires. They were quiet and did well off road and in snow...not as good as the super swampers though. I had a mud addiction lol

On a light truck like an f150 I could see the cooper's going an easy 60k as they are E rated tires.

I've run lot of Coopers over the years. Good value for small money and common enough to get a close-enough match when I lost one. Never got even 30 K miles, best days though. Not wear. Cord separation. Sidewall blister. That stuff.

Been a long time. The automaker OEM "Wins" indicate they are doing a better job, not lesser.

Firestone Destination XT’s on my truck. Decent in snow, good road manners and low noise on the highway. Awesome in swampy fields and 1 ft of mud.

The sips are really good at ejecting stones at low speed before they fly around the wheel wells on the on-ramp.

Firestone Destination XT’s on my truck. Decent in snow, good road manners and low noise on the highway. Awesome in swampy fields and 1 ft of mud.

The sips are really good at ejecting stones at low speed before they fly around the wheel wells on the on-ramp.

I'm gonna raise the bs flag on 1 foot of mud...maybe 11 inches of water with some mud at the bottom...:icon_bs:

Sorry bud

I'm gonna raise the bs flag on 1 foot of mud...maybe 11 inches of water with some mud at the bottom...:icon_bs:

Sorry bud

Not "flag". Snorkel, rather.

I can remember back before truck sill height in inches was still less than the owner's IQ when a 60-inch "fording capability" seemed like enough.

Someplace was too nasty to go. Yah DIDN'T go. Same as bed-partners.

Not "flag". Snorkel, rather.

I can remember back before truck sill height in inches was still less than the owner's IQ when a 60-inch "fording capability" seemed like enough.

Someplace was too nasty to go. Yah DIDN'T go. Same as bed-partners.

My BFG ATs on my 4x4 F350 DRW did fine in 1' of sand/clay mud. When it got much deeper they gave up due to the axles and body dragging and I had to pull the truck through with the 4x4 backhoe. When the backhoe started getting high centered and having to claw along, the rain finally ended and I was able to regrade to a level dirt road again.

I’m a cooper fanboy.

Cooper Discoverer ATP. I believe they are exclusive to Discount Tire/America’s Tire. Got them in the LT variety on my 1/2 ton and after 40k miles they have a whole lot of life left, are wearing nicely, and aren’t overly noisy. They’ve seen a healthy balance of asphalt, gravel, and dairy farm.

Wife’s 1/2 ton has a set of Passenger variety Discoverer AT3’s. She has maybe 5k miles on them, almost exclusively highway, but so far so good. I had a set of AT3’s on a previous vehicle and never had an issue with them.

Good tire maintenance has helped, I believe. Regular rotation and proper inflation.

Both the ATP and AT3 are all-terrains and made in USA.

Coopers are also made in the USA for those who care. Goodyear is the only other made in USA brand.

P.S. Anyone ever read the fine print on a tire mileage warranty, who would ever jump through all those hoops?

Sorry bud

Like the poster above, dragging diff housings was the rate limiting step.

300 mm? They’re only 33’s. I like the tires anyhow. Time will tell how long they hold up to highway driving. 20k on them now with proper alignment/pressure and they appear to be wearing evenly.

Back