What's new
What's new

OT - Using CO2 to euthanize a dog?

SLG

Cast Iron
In the next 10 days or so, I'm going to need to euthanize my dog. I do not want to use a vet.

The dogs "happy place" is in the front seat of my truck. She is accustomed to spending hours on end there while I'm at a jobsite. These days, at her advanced age, she immediately falls asleep on the seat.

My thought is to run CO2 into the cab. From what I've read, CO2 has an anesthetic effect at low concentrations, then puts the animal to sleep and death occurs. It all happens in a matter of minutes. It's hot here, so I may need to run the truck A/C, which will introduce some fresh air into the cab, but I don't believe it will be enough to negate the CO2.

Anyone ever done this? Can you think of a reason why I shouldn't do it this way? A better method maybe?

If you insist on using gas, you would be better off with carbon monoxide, the good ole hose in the tailpipe leading into the window trick, they will just fall asleep.

Very bad idea. Excess CO2 produces symptoms of drowning. The gasping and panic go on for several minutes. It's very sad when you have to put down an faithful critter and very undrstandable you'd like to do it in the most comfortable surroundings. Good for you. You're a kind man.

Talk to the vet. I'm sure he has a number of owner friendly alternatives.

I would recommend against that. A dead dog immediately loses all bladder and rectal control and while they are in a better place, you and your truck are not.

I had to put my beloved golden retriever of 14 years down last week. She loved to be outdoors, so I hired a mobile vet, who came out and did the job just out under a shade tree where my pup was resting. While I didn't love the cost of the service, it was calm no drama for the dog, she was at home in her own backyard, I was right with her and so looking back its ok.

I was never much of a dog.....or pet person as a young person. I never understood what people went through with their pets when "the time" came. My wife had a dog when we met....so....it was a package deal. Years went by.....I cried like a baby the day I had to take him to the vet to be put down. Our first stop was McDonalds...(he always liked their fries when I "accidently" dropped 1 or 2) He ordered a happy meal. I would do 1 of 2 things......either the vet.......or a .22 behind the ear if you have the stomach for it. This is not the best time to get creative. Both of these methods work without fail.

I am getting close to that time with my beloved Newfoundland, and my vet referred me to another vet who will travel. She comes to your house and does it humanely. You might check around and see if there is a traveling vet in your area, it seems quite common, and is much kinder.

Not looking forward to this, I'm sorry for your grief.

Growing up the vet always came to the house so we could do it at home and we were all there. I wouldn't want it any other way.

I understand you want the dog to be in a happy place, but this is a job worth paying for , I think they can also give an injection, I have friends that have held their pets as they passed. If you really want to do this in the truck, I'm sure the vet can walk outside.
I did exactly this , put a tarp down vet came to the truck and injected him, he went to sleep.
For all the years of friendship, and loyalty, do it at the vet!

Sorry you have to go though this. Use a vet. No experiments that may/will fail. The dog gave a you a great life, so respect that ( I know you want to) in the final days.

I went though this a couple of years ago (and used a vet); still hard to grasp the (unexpected) depth of my grief.

Don't get creative. It will only make things harder on you and much harder for your friend. If you have the stomach for it, a 22lr to the brain is fast and painless, otherwise go to the vet or have the vet come to you. I have been called heartless because I put all of my dogs down myself, but that is not true. Its a private thing, I do my greaving alone, and I know it is done with no stress to my friend. We have always had a lot of working dogs. Truly mans best friend.

Back