Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post

if the us government was to announce tenders for x gigagallons of alcohol for fuel in arizona, etc. Endless offers would appear at low cost.
    With eminent domain and no-permit hassles, input and output of water/fuel, rail or pipeline transport of end product foc from point of production.

stop-right-there.
    Last edited by digger doug; 05-13-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have four good quality five gallon metal safety cans to keep gas in. All non-ethanol, of course. I put a little stabil in as I refill during the fall when I know I won’t use much until spring. Then I know that if I need to run the generator I have enough good gas to do so. And its no big deal when I know I don’t have to make a gas run because I already have gas. So its easy to plan the next fill up at my convenience. All my lawn equipment and motorcycles start and run great.

I run the chainsaws empty when I think I won’t run them again soon. Start it, loosen the cap and turn the saw over and drain the tank. Shortly afterwards it stops. Leave the cap off for a day so the tank dries. Clean it up and put it away. One hard rule is to never, never leave ethanol pre-mix sitting in anything including gas cans. If you have to use ethanol pre-mix, use very small quantities that you can burn up within a month or less.

I checked mileage in my truck and found that cost per mile is equal when the differential is as high as $.40 a gallon at the current prices. When the prices are closer, its less expensive to burn plain gas. I run some non-ethanol in the truck as well when its convenient and available. Interestingly enough, Ford recommends a tank of real gas at every oil change which is about 7500 miles or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ethanol and small engines is a joke............I only run premium non oxygenated in all of my small engines. And I have a lot of em'............... ..around 20+(?)................all premo and a dash of sea foam if they are going to sit for any length of time. I even leave gas in over the Winter, I run the tank as near empty as I can and just up the amount of sea foam. No tarnish or build up. Still smells like fresh gas come Spring. They all fire right up. Other stabilizers suck...especially Sta-bil......................The half dozen or so small engine guys I know will tell you not to run any alcohol, ever.

4. Likes 5 axis Fidia guy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't begin to tell you how much free or cheap equipment I get because of ethanol. Lawn tractors, chainsaws, power washers, etc.

A little fresh non-ethanol fuel. Sometimes a carb clean or replacement. Sometimes replace the fuel lines. That's usually all it takes to get them up and running again.

And the dirty carbs are never the old-style shellac build-up. Always water-related fouling directly attributable to ethanol.

EPA should be forced to calculate the environmental cost of all those replacement motors when requiring ethanol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep, free equipment...

The crud I see is crystals of "something". No idea what it is, for last one, I just cleaned it out and used the free mower. Maybe I should have kept it for analysis. Pinkish crystals.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JST View Post
    Yep, free equipment...

The crud I see is crystals of "something". No idea what it is, for last one, I just cleaned it out and used the free mower. Maybe I should have kept it for analysis. Pinkish crystals.
    This past winter I filled up my snowblower to clear my driveway after our first big snow. Wouldn't start, just pissing gas out from the carb overflow port. Took it apart and found green gunk all inside. I've heard about pink crystals before, but this was green gunk preventing the float from moving and causing the whole pan to constantly fill. Cleaned it all out and it was running one pull later.

I even ran it out last spring, so I was a bit puzzled as to why I had so much crap in there. Anyway, I learned a valuable lesson about testing snow removal equipment while the temperature is something above 10° and snow isn't getting into your fuel system while you got it open...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JST View Post
    Yep, free equipment...

The tech at a saw shop told me they called it “white rust” at Stihl school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Might have problems with "Lead Fouling".

Can't find some form of "Racing Gas" like Cam2 ?
    uhhh, what do you think is in Cam 2?

why would a small engine have a lead fouling issue?

In 4 stroke engines i think the ethanol issue can be overblown, or at least can be mitigated. 2 stroke I am not sure

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been running 100LL in a Stihl weed eater and a Tecumseh lawn mower engine for years. I've never drained either tank for the winter and they both start right up each spring.

Not definitive, just my personal experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jmead View Post
    The tech at a saw shop told me they called it “white rust” at Stihl school.
    Yeah I've seen plenty of the white chalky stuff. Sticks needle valve bodies to the bores they're in like glue. PITA. No ethanol free gas by me... Wish there was. One benefit I guess, plenty of the aforementioned free equipment from the clueless around here.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    uhhh, what do you think is in Cam 2?

why would a small engine have a lead fouling issue?

In 4 stroke engines i think the ethanol issue can be overblown, or at least can be mitigated. 2 stroke I am not sure
    I don't know about cam2, but it was recommended (we have allot of dirt track racers here)
    "Aviation Gas" the only left is "100ll" which has 5 times the lead of the red 80 octane I used to use in my cub.
    100ll is known to foul spark plugs with lead.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    No ethanol free gas by me... Wish there was. One benefit I guess, plenty of the aforementioned free equipment from the clueless around here.
    Use the force Luke...:
    Pure-Gas.org : Map of Ethanol-Free Gas Stations in Indiana

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like I said, nothing close enough. Don't feel like driving almost an hour for a can of e-free gas. I'm almost all the way West in IN and almost all the way North. No blue dots over yonder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    Like I said, nothing close enough. Don't feel like driving almost an hour for a can of e-free gas. I'm almost all the way West in IN and almost all the way North. No blue dots over yonder.
    Where I live everything is pretty much at least 45 minutes plus away. Looks like there are a few around by Lowe's, and I go there twice a month so I am good. Thanks to this thread I can get another hobby besides repairing carburetors.

16. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks again for all the great feedback. Does anyone know if there is a relatively safe, easy way to remove the alcohol from E10? I'm just talking about a gallon or so once in a while. Is the alcohol more volatile then the gas? I know that alcohol absorbs water but it there something that absorbs alcohol and not gas? Just curious really.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crossthread View Post
    Thanks again for all the great feedback. Does anyone know if there is a relatively safe, easy way to remove the alcohol from E10? I'm just talking about a gallon or so once in a while. Is the alcohol more volatile then the gas? I know that alcohol absorbs water but it there something that absorbs alcohol and not gas? Just curious really.
    The ultralight air-o-plane crowd has been dumping in water, and then letting it settle out....or so I have heard.

But then you have a toxic cocktail to dispose of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Follow what is said in this post.

How to Remove Ethanol From Gasoline | Sciencing

The follow up of using anhydrous magnesium sulfate to remove excess water is one that is not covered elsewhere. Anhydrous magnesium sulfate is Epsom Salts that has been dried. There are procedures on the net to make the anhydrous from the Epsom salt. Here is one.

Simply grind the MgSO4. 7H2O = Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate (Epsom Salts) into a fine powder first, then spread it onto large baking trays for maximum surface area. Heat to 250°C for 2 hours = 482°F Loses all waters of hydration. Yielding Anhydrous Magnesium Sulfate.Nov 7, 2007. You can also purchase the salt from Amazon if desired.

Sciencemadness Discussion Board - Dehydrating MgSO4 completely???? - Powered by XMB 1.9.11

A bit of work but for most people only a few gallons are needed for a summer.

As to do with the alcohol/water and the filtrate, I see no reason that they both could be just dumped. There is nothing toxic about either one.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    As to do with the alcohol/water and the filtrate, I see no reason that they both could be just dumped. There is nothing toxic about either one.

Tom
    Sort-of.

The water can pull some percentage of other components, especially any that have some water solubility, or that get carried in the alcohol. Most of it will be gone if left to sit out for a bit uncovered, which is the same as dumping.

Take a sample of the drained material and let it evaporate on a piece of clean glass. See what you have left.

The water solubility of alcohol is high compared to its solubility in the gasoline, but there is such a thing as an equilibrium, which means not ALL the alcohol comes out, and not ALL the gasoline stays out of the water,

21. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, you will want to get all the water out, so will "overdrain"
    and some gas will make it into the trash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know about cam2, but it was recommended (we have allot of dirt track racers here)
    "Aviation Gas" the only left is "100ll" which has 5 times the lead of the red 80 octane I used to use in my cub.
    100ll is known to foul spark plugs with lead.
    most race fuel is leaded

lots of people are using avgas for their small engines with success