What's new
What's new

OT: Vehicle History reports (CarFax or Autocheck)

Which one : CarFax or Autocheck is better at reporting accidents and damage?

I've never noticed any difference but format. AFAIK, they work off the same data sources.
Those sources can, and DO, have blind-spots now and then.

Vehicle is 'important' enough of an investment, get BOTH, then go and eyeball it yerself WITH a checklist you've pulled off the problem report and lemon list databases for the specific make, model-year, and VIN range.

Some years, same ride otherwise, not even any significant design-changes, really ARE better - or worse - than others.

I've never noticed any difference but format. AFAIK, they work off the same data sources.
Those sources can, and DO, have blind-spots now and then.

Vehicle is 'important' enough of an investment, get BOTH, then go and eyeball it yerself WITH a checklist you've pulled off the problem report and lemon list databases for the specific make, model-year, and VIN range.

Some years, same ride otherwise, not even any significant design-changes, really ARE better - or worse - than others.

Can't eyeball it as vehicle is usually several hundred miles away.

I bought Autocheck cause it is $20 for 10 reports but what sucks is I have to use all within 10 days.
Carfax is $70 for unlimited. Problem is that I would be getting reports on many vehicles so it gets quite spendy to buy both for each vehicle.

Can't eyeball it as vehicle is usually several hundred miles away.

I bought Autocheck cause it is $20 for 10 reports but what sucks is I have to use all within 10 days.
Carfax is $70 for unlimited. Problem is that I would be getting reports on many vehicles so it gets quite spendy to buy both for each vehicle.

"Finding" a 2005 XJ8-L, $67 large, new, that had a factory-warranty NEW engine installed around 40K miles into its 83 K miles for $10,600 was worth a whole pile of the Carfax and Autocheck that ferreted out that particular 'easter egg' 20 minutes from the house for an eyeballing and test drive.

A careful person just dasn't buy anything with round engines, round keels, round wheels, or round heels 'at a distance'. Least of all a Bentley Arnage, "red label".

Though his & hers Jaguars are truthfully a great deal more practical, and perhaps actually better-built. X350's are all-aluminium, so corrosion can still happen, 'rust', not.

Your purchase should at least price-in a go-see-it trip. Otherwise, set cargurus or wotever to a closer search radius and JF be patient.

Biggest problem with those type services is they only show what was reported. The car could have been wrapped around a tree, head on, and totalled, as far as insurance is concerned, but if the owner pays to fix it out of pocket and has an entire new front clip welded on, it will never show up on either.

Biggest problem with those type services is they only show what was reported. The car could have been wrapped around a tree, head on, and totalled, as far as insurance is concerned, but if the owner pays to fix it out of pocket and has an entire new front clip welded on, it will never show up on either.

Yep. Good source for 'the good stuff'. How long owners were happy enough to keep it, even once paid-for, regular maintenance performed - or not - safety inspections passed, and such like.

Can be blind as a bat on the 'bad news'.

Gots to lay experienced hands and eyes on 'em, yer own - else hired.

Back