What's new
What's new

OT: Videos about machining to show to High school students

Bill D

Diamond
Off Topic. Any suggestions for videos about machining/engineering to show to high school classes. Need to be fast moving and not too technical. This is for the substitute teacher to show if the lesson runs short or the computer system is locked up that period.
I have shown Modern Marvels and Counting Cars in the past. "How It's Made" is too simplistic and has no real information. Some of the national Geographic ones might have some content about technology to film and explore nature.
Bill D

"Must be fast moving" ???
If you can't follow it, how do you think a young person can ?

Don't bother hiring a professional cameraman....strap a go pro
on a Squirrel you feed some MD to...

Oh, and make certain it has head banging thrash metal noise
in the background....really loud.

Don't be concerned if you can't hear the announcer,
Rest assured that the "young people" can dig it right out from all the noise.....:toetap:

All those formative years wearing earbuds tunes their senses
right up.

Try a you tube version of a 1950's educational film instead.

Not metal related exactly. But I've always enjoyed the Woodright's Shop..

Used to be on PBS.. How to make "Stuff" 101, and they aren't boring, they
should keep a class of kids quiet for a while, and teach them a thing or 2,
and make their brains work a tiny bit.

Popular Videos - The Woodwright's Shop - YouTube

I think I will get some of the woodrights shop on DVD . Not machining related but a good speed for modern kids to not get bored.
I watched a few of the "How it's Made" shows and they just show putting hunks of metal into a cnc, loading some tools. and watch it cut in waterfall with no explanation of how or why. Maybe other episodes are better?
Bill

MrPete222
Abom79
OxToolco (Tom Lipton)
This Old Tony
Doubleboost
Bruce Whitham
Clickspring
David Richards
Jimmydiresta
Robrenz
Stefan Gotteswinter
Switch & Lever
Turnwright Machine Works (Keith Fenner)
Keith Rucker
Edge Precision
NYC CNC
Weldingtipsandtricks
6061.com
BarbieTheWelder
Sixty Symbols
ThatLazyMachinist

isavetractors
805Roadking
JohnGrimsmo
Practical Engineering
Steve's Small Engine Saloon

Dan Gelbart on youtube has a series of 18 videos on various processes for making prototypes in a machine shop. It's a little slow, but you might find one that will work for you.

Ken

MrPete222
Abom79
OxToolco (Tom Lipton)
This Old Tony
Doubleboost
Bruce Whitham
Clickspring
David Richards
Jimmydiresta
Robrenz
Stefan Gotteswinter
Switch & Lever
Keith Rucker
Edge Precision
NYC CNC
Weldingtipsandtricks
6061.com
BarbieTheWelder
Sixty Symbols
ThatLazyMachinist

isavetractors
805Roadking
JohnGrimsmo
Practical Engineering

I watched some of clickspring youtube videos a while back and was really impressed with them. Not that that will do you much good if the computers are not working

MrPete222
Abom79
OxToolco (Tom Lipton)
This Old Tony
Doubleboost
Bruce Whitham
Clickspring
David Richards
Jimmydiresta
Robrenz
Stefan Gotteswinter
Switch & Lever
Keith Rucker
Edge Precision
NYC CNC
Weldingtipsandtricks
6061.com
BarbieTheWelder
Sixty Symbols
ThatLazyMachinist

isavetractors
805Roadking
JohnGrimsmo
Practical Engineering

I know most of those names, but you gave me some more to check out, even bad youtube beats the fake "reality" shows.
Thanks!

Are you looking for something that will teach them something by itself or do you want to get them excited about seeing something cutting edge and then ask questions? I have watched a monumental amount of videos on YT related to machining, especially when I was in grad school, so I could probably find some specific ones that are applicable.

Really looking for something to get them excited to learn and want to stay in the hands on classes at school. My high school no longer has wood or metal shop(that teacher may return next year). Auto shop teacher(excellent teacher) retired and program dried up to Ag small engine classes only.
He is an excellent teacher but we need more students wanting to stay with the program and expand to meet demand. He has had teams win state titles for small engines, so that is his focus, not expanding to other course offerings. Can not blame him fro staying on focus.

Back