What's new
What's new

OT: Is Voice of America (VOA) a credible news source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomarc

Diamond
My home page is Google News. I feel that independent and honest news reporting has gone the way of the dinosaurs..every source is uber-agenda driven.

Is VOA not in this same category? Does anyone here watch their feed? Their site claims they are BS free.

Please...no crazy political rants..PLEASE.:angry:

Stuart

VOA, "Voice of America" is from a Sammy Hagar song to me, nothing more. Never heard of the news agency, had to Google it.

Glad I am old enough to remember back when most news coverage told the whole story and entertainment award shows weren't full of political speeches. It would be great to go back to that, but it won't happen.

VOA says what the currant administration wants it to, so just ad it to ABC NBC CBS CNN CNBC NPR ad nauseum. All left wing all the time. Anybody see on main stream media the bumbler in chief fall down the air stairs on AF1? When Ford fell it got wall to wall coverage and endless jokes on late night. Anybody that thinks there is no bias is blind.

VOA says what the currant administration wants it to, so just ad it to ABC NBC CBS CNN CNBC NPR ad nauseum. All left wing all the time. Anybody see on main stream media the bumbler in chief fall down the air stairs on AF1? When Ford fell it got wall to wall coverage and endless jokes on late night. Anybody that thinks there is no bias is blind.

"my old feeble guy is better than your old feeble guy"

This is how everyone should walk. LOL Trump appears to steady himself walking down West Point ramp - YouTube

I think we are probably in the same age group, I am shocked these days about how a lot of publications are infected with political bias that used to never mention politics. I used to read a lot of magazines from elementary school through High School in the 60's and 70's. I did not pick up another magazine until health issues caused quite a few visits to medical office waiting rooms starting about 10 years ago. Even sports publications have political content and we know which way most all of them lean. Sports Illustrated is now "proud" to have men wearing bikinis in it's swimsuit edition. National Geographic should be renamed "Climate Change Monthly" as they mention it more times than one can count. You can't even read the sports page of the Washington Post without them wanting to shove their political views down your throat. Each sports section has an article about a "transgender" boy wanting to compete against girls or the like.

I don't want to hear political spewing from an entertainer whether I agree with it or not. Why anyone else would care what they think blows my mind. They don't live in the common man or woman's world anyway. I want to watch Lebron James play basketball, and listen to the music of Ted Nugent, while not giving a crap of their political views.

Voice of America started as an outward bound news source, aiming to let people in other countries hear the news their own governments wouldn't permit. So, it was a bit like Russia Today or Al Jazeera as picked up here in the US. There was a spin - democracy and free markets good - but also pretty credible journalism.

Now it's Internet censorship, traditional rado news all but gone (except the Rushes of the past world), and traditional newspapers struggling. Partisanship suits some of them in terms if ginning up interest and subscribers.

I suspect these days VOA is not especially well staffed or funded, but still aiming to tell a resonably accurate but Western-world oriented story. It is most likelly more balanced than a Fox News or a Russia Today - but perhaps not likely to have a reporter on the spot for breaking news. If they were first to report a story, I'd be inclined to take it seriously.

As far as old guys falling, both Ford and Biden were reasonably athletic in their youth and both their falls were widely covered in their times. Ford's was more of a Chevy Chase moment, headed down the stairs. Biden heading up. I suspect that if any of us had cameras following us around 16 hours a day, 360 days a year, with distractions all around that we'd have our own share of stumbles, picked noses, fractional second scowls, and the like. Takes a twisted worldview to make too much of it.

Hey dumbass you asked if VOA was political. Why do you expect anything else?

All I wanted was some intelligent comment on my question, not immediate nutso bullshit political conspiracy baloney, which you seem to have an abundance of. If you would take the time to pull your head out of the sand you should take a look at VP Pence falling in almost the exact fashion that Prez Biden did. You didn't mention that though, did you.

So, all the bullshit aside, it appears that VOA shouldn't be my first choice for unbiased news reporting. That's what I wanted input on, not being worldly or politically minded.

Stuart

Voice of America started as an outward bound news source, aiming to let people in other countries hear the news their own governments wouldn't permit. So, it was a bit like Russia Today or Al Jazeera as picked up here in the US. There was a spin - democracy and free markets good - but also pretty credible journalism.

Now it's Internet censorship, traditional rado news all but gone (except the Rushes of the past world), and traditional newspapers struggling. Partisanship suits some of them in terms if ginning up interest and subscribers.

I suspect these days VOA is not especially well staffed or funded, but still aiming to tell a resonably accurate but Western-world oriented story. It is most likelly more balanced than a Fox News or a Russia Today - but perhaps not likely to have a reporter on the spot for breaking news. If they were first to report a story, I'd be inclined to take it seriously.

As far as old guys falling, both Ford and Biden were reasonably athletic in their youth and both their falls were widely covered in their times. Ford's was more of a Chevy Chase moment, headed down the stairs. Biden heading up. I suspect that if any of us had cameras following us around 16 hours a day, 360 days a year, with distractions all around that we'd have our own share of stumbles, picked noses, fractional second scowls, and the like. Takes a twisted worldview to make too much of it.

Yeah ok, Biden fell in the last 24 hours, it's on Drudge and Fox, nowhere else, SURPRISE!!!

I don't know if any of you have followed the attempted politicization that was in progress within the last year under the previous administration, but there was some restructuring occurring in the VOA (part of US Agency for Global Media, or something like that), that involved a Trump appointee canning the advisory board and replacing them with other Trump loyalists, all in an apparent attempt to make VOA a Trump mouthpiece. This has been generally scuttled with the change in administrations.

The VOA has a history going back to early 1940's, when it was established as an anti-Nazi-propaganda tool of the US government. It followed that with establishing itself as a source for "truth" in news broadcast into Iron Curtain countries in the 50's and on, and of course there was a serious dose of American viewpoint broadcast along with. Their main strength was that they have provided factual news reporting, and sometime back in the 90's (I think) there was a law put in place that established a statutory firewall between VOA editorial content creation and any political administration's desires. They are supposed to be very independent in news reporting, and this is something that was apparently disturbing to the Orange One.

Generally, the VOA should be (and has been) a fairly straightforward neutral information source, but as an organization that is under the purview of Congress, I don't think anyone could say that they are completely insulated from politics. Political influence, though, is not supposed to be affecting their news coverage according to actual statute.

Trump Appointee Rescinds Rule Shielding Government News Outlets From Federal Tampering - The New York Times

Last edited:

You should try the PBS Newshour. It had the "Biden Fall" at the top of the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back