What's new
What's new

OT: Watch out for scam on this and other boards

crickets

Hot Rolled
Folks,

I've been hearing about a scam that didn't make sense to me at first, until I personally ran across it just now. I've posted a WTB thread on this board for some milling machine parts, and got a personal message from a user with zero forum messages here. The message was suggesting I should reach out to some person by email, as he has the parts I'm looking for.

For kicks, I emailed the person. Turns out they're in Colorado, and indeed got the parts I need. After a bunch of abstract back and forth I requested that they show me a picture of the stuff they got. They sent me a picture, and I asked to confirm if those are the actual parts they have. They affirmed. Well, turns out the picture is from an Ebay auction I am watching out of Tennessee, and clearly those parts can't be in two places at once :D

So seems that's the bottom line - they seek out people looking for stuff, and offer the desired items by sourcing them elsewhere. I don't actually know if they ever get ever delivered, or they just take the money and run. But you should get the picture, and what to lookout for.

Folks,

I've been hearing about a scam that didn't make sense to me at first, until I personally ran across it just now. I've posted a WTB thread on this board for some milling machine parts, and got a personal message from a user with zero forum messages here. The message was suggesting I should reach out to some person by email, as he has the parts I'm looking for.

For kicks, I emailed the person. Turns out they're in Colorado, and indeed got the parts I need. After a bunch of abstract back and forth I requested that they show me a picture of the stuff they got. They sent me a picture, and I asked to confirm if those are the actual parts they have. They affirmed. Well, turns out the picture is from an Ebay auction I am watching out of Tennessee, and clearly those parts can't be in two places at once :D

So seems that's the bottom line - they seek out people looking for stuff, and offer the desired items by sourcing them elsewhere. I don't actually know if they ever get ever delivered, or they just take the money and run. But you should get the picture, and what to lookout for.

Unless I know the referring member I would never trust that sort of thing. And if it were a just registered guy with zero posts I would refer the situation to the moderator. I've got a pretty sensitive BS meter though. I've never lost a dollar online so far.

Unless I know the referring member I would never trust that sort of thing. And if it were a just registered guy with zero posts I would refer the situation to the moderator. I've got a pretty sensitive BS meter though. I've never lost a dollar online so far.

Following up on those visitors is pointless - random accounts can be created in no time. Some boards prohibit private messages until user has X many public messages, but even then there are spam bots that build that history for them - some have been seen here too.

Posting a WTB ad always seems to draw out the scammers, I've only done a few myself and for obscure items, every time I've gotten a response its a 0 feedback person and they cannot provide a pic, they do send pics, but not item I'm looking for. If you do post a WTB ad, give just enough info that the person that has one will know what you want.

You can also do a google search (dunno if other search engines allow this) by dragging and dropping the image in to the Search Bar, and see what comes up.

I had a similar experience here a while back. Guy didn't really have a clue what I wanted, until he convinced me to give him a part number. By that time, it wasn't passing the smell test.

I had a similar experience in my response to WTB a Tool & Cutter Grinder. I too sent an email to a guy named James who supposedly had what I was looking for. The response was from a guy or at least he claimed to be in Oregon along with a picture of a Cincinnati Monoset grinder. He asked if I was willing to pay shipping... It did not seem right so I never answered.

Yep. Got three such responses to a WTB in the classifieds this past summer. Photos didn't come up as obviously from an eBay sale or anything, but thew descriptions were pure cut-and-paste from the manufacturer's website.

Seller never provided a full name, phone number, website, or location more precise than the overall state. Kept pushing to just go ahead and make the payment, we'll "sort out the details later".

When I started getting cold feet, he started offering heavy discounts- "I'll take 50% down", etc.- and finally bailed when I said I'd only use an escrow service.

I'm hearing the same thing on the hotrod and musclecar boards, for snow machines, ATVs, boats, you name it. A variant is big on our paintball boards- you post a WTB, somebody says something like "My friend has one of those" and gives you an email address. You email, he sends you a photo, you PayPal, he ghosts. Might only be $20 or $50 or $100 at a time, but it adds up.

Used to be you just had to avoid the obvious "Nigeran Princes"- but the crook are now literally everywhere. Craigslist, eBay, Amazon, Facebook, here on PM, anywhere with a classified or buy/sell section.... And you're not always dealing with an obvious 'bot or idiot.

Be careful out there.

Doc.

Thats an old one.....guy I knew got stung twice! looking for antique motorbike parts.....after the first one didnt pan out,he still thought the guy had parts,and sent him more money......Funny thing was the parts were unobtanium by reputation,and after I bought the bike ,I tried the local bike wreckers just on the off chance ....and got both bits for $100......the scammers wanted $100 each!

Following up on those visitors is pointless - random accounts can be created in no time. Some boards prohibit private messages until user has X many public messages, but even then there are spam bots that build that history for them - some have been seen here too.

Well, at least some more changes to this board are in order eh ?

Caveat emptor buyer beware.
Thanks for the heads up on the scam.

Now they are saying one should never say yes to a strange phone caller because they will dub that yes to your purchase of something.

I thought about how easy to scam when my son sold a jeep for about $6k to a guy out in Colorado.
I got shorted $50. for a pair of ice skates from a guy in Canada, He said he sent them but I never got them.

I sent an email to Don about this.

Lot of buyers know the scam is 70% fake,but are so desperate for the item they take the risk.....then complain bitterly about crooks on the net..............Scam on the net Im seeing is Amaz wannabee sites have crooks as vendor partners....the items pictured are not delivered but a far cheaper item......Kogan in Oz is good example of this.....complain to Kogan,and of course the reply is "You are not dealing with us,moneyback guarantee doesnt apply"

Lot of buyers know the scam is 70% fake,but are so desperate for the item they take the risk.....then complain bitterly about crooks on the net..............Scam on the net Im seeing is Amaz wannabee sites have crooks as vendor partners....the items pictured are not delivered but a far cheaper item......Kogan in Oz is good example of this.....complain to Kogan,and of course the reply is "You are not dealing with us,moneyback guarantee doesnt apply"

Pay by credit card, dispute the charge, goods not as described, copy it to the ACCC.

Or realise up front it's a scam and don't play.

Looking at buying something via AliExpress ATM. First I need a one-time CC number.

PDW

Looking at buying something via AliExpress ATM. First I need a one-time CC number.
Do they have those gift card debit cards in Oz ? At least that way all you risk is the amount on the card.

If it's alipay you can do zhifubao. Highly recommended, they are what paypal pretends to be. I resisted at first since had some paypal experience but after being forced into it, found out they are pretty good. They actually look into complaints in a speedy manner and listen to logic and make reasonable decisions.

Do they have those gift card debit cards in Oz ? At least that way all you risk is the amount on the card.

Yeah that's the plan. Just looking into whether my credit union can issue me with one before buying one at the local Post Office.

It's not the potential loss of money that I care about, it's the hassle involved in waiting for a replacement card to be issued & sent to me if the number gets compromised.

All I want is a 12" IP65 or better waterproof touch screen with a minimum 1000 cd/m2 (1000 nit) brightness. Impossible to find locally.

PDW

PDW

Back