What's new
What's new

OT-What is "Chaski.Org"

TDegenhart

Diamond
I was reviewing CBlair's admonition to keep things civil while he is gone and found in Don's posting requirements that there are/were posting sites for low end hobby equipment such as HSM and Chaski. HSM is a publication of Village Press. Where/when did Chaski come along or were they a spinoff from Village Press.

Tom

Chaski has been around at least 15 yrs and in an older version "longer'. It is unrelated to Village Press.
It is run by curmudgeons and has a relatively small # of regular posters.
A website that spans both pro/am is one such as *******.

Well, I happen to like Chaski for things not appropriate here. It's a quality site. One of the other hobby sites plays far too loose copying material that isn't theirs, though I haven't checked in a while.

did you know they dont just let you register? you have provide details on you interest etc.

Since there are now three (maybe more) hobby machinist fora, Chaski doesn't get the traffic it did in years past; pretty slow these days.

jack vines

Chaski was where we posted before PM.

Not as I recall. It was the interim.

RCM ( rec.crafts.metalworking ) was where many posted before most of it.

I find it positively remarkable & amazing how many people I still speak with these days whose acquaintances I first made, there. A handful I actually deal with as part of the shop's business.

Not as I recall. It was the interim.

RCM ( rec.crafts.metalworking ) was where many posted before most of it.

I find it positively remarkable & amazing how many people I still speak with these days whose acquaintances I first made, there. A handful I actually deal with as part of the shop's business.

Ah yes, there was that, too! I fergot. Musta have dain bramage.

It's still going as a google group, too, though by the tone of the posts, unmoderated.

A big shoutout to Don for starting this forum.

RCM isn't and never was a google group. Google have leached Usenet groups for years, but they are still Usenet, dirtibuted between and stored on Usenet servers.

Other organisations have also leached Usenet groups and passed them off as their own.

Since there are now three (maybe more) hobby machinist fora, Chaski doesn't get the traffic it did in years past; pretty slow these days.

jack vines

I think it more you pretty much had to agree with the site owner on everything, technical included. there's a large fraternity who tried and left the site, its hard to take. The do have a great section of model engineer types which I think what keeps it going. On any one of these site (and there's a few more) you can find newbies and hacks and also really skilled guys who know more than you.....depending of course on the specific topic....none of us knows all about everything despite the odd persons belief to the contrary :).

RCM isn't and never was a google group. Google have leached Usenet groups for years, but they are still Usenet, dirtibuted between and stored on Usenet servers.

Other organisations have also leached Usenet groups and passed them off as their own.

Guess I was wrong about that - followed the link...

Chaski has been around at least 15 yrs and in an older version "longer'. It is unrelated to Village Press.
It is run by curmudgeons and has a relatively small # of regular posters.
A website that spans both pro/am is one such as *******.

curmudgeons? really? you have no idea how long the trip to become a true curmudgeon. fuck you. get off of my lawn.

Back