What's new
What's new

OT: What do you recommend for a person needing suspenders?

atomarc

Diamond
Sort of a strange title..hope it makes sense.

I'll be 73 in a few months and have lost any semblance of a waist years ago. Belts have worked OK but now gravity is winning the battle of the drawers and I am in the market for suspenders...I think!

I have tried suspenders before and they bugged the hell out of me, mashing on my shoulders the way they do. Granted, I haven't given them a fair chance but wonder if there is a better style or a better way to hold my jeans up short of stapling them to my ass.

Are there alternatives to suspenders or are there better styles or brands of suspenders?

Stuart

I am getting close to your situation, having an equator rather than a waist myself. Not all suspenders are the same. Wider straps might help. They even have different designs, like Y or H, which will affect how the straps run over your shoulders.

I wear Harley suspenders with racing leathers and they work well, if you don't mind the orange and black.
More realistically, take a look at the collection of suspenders available from Duluth trading.

Maybe some farmers bibs? I second Duluth, if its plumbers butt crack your concerned about they make extra long shirts to help eliminate it.

Brent

Stuart and I are the same age, so I know what he's saying. Plain and simple, your ass disappears! You're always tugging at your belt. Stuart looked like a youngster when he and his wife visited. But age just sneaks up on you, doesn't it.
Oh, and use 316 surgical stainless staples.

I'm coming up on 84 shortly and wearing a belt with the same silver buckle I brought back from Merida, Mexico on a 1941 Indian in 1975. I can still wear the summer suit I bought in 1981. I recommend a simple exercise, rotational oscillation of the cranial housing about it's vertical axis when offered a second helping.

Bill

No direct experience myself, but there are suspenders that clip on the sides of the pants rather than front and back. That is supposed to put the pull of the suspenders along an axis that doesn't change length as you bend and move. This eliminates sliding and tension buildup.

No association with this outfit, but I've always been happy with their products:

Men's Suspenders | Duluth Trading Company

As a suspender-wearer myself, I highly recommend Welch suspenders. They come in either the y style or the x style, and attach either with clips or buttons. They have normal or wide versions of each strap.

I personally where the wide (2”) x style that attach with buttons. The buttons are permanently attached to your pants (they are basically like jean buttons). If you go the button route, I recommend installing them carefully with a press, rather than a hammer as they can bend easily when installing.

Here is their (terrible) website Welch Suspenders USA Mens "Tuff & Super Tuff" - Home

Bond some Velcro to the top part of where your ass used to be.
Sew a strip to your jeans.
Hey we're here to help!
David

Riding an Indian keeps you thin......your guts get so crook from the rough ride ,you dont want to eat anything.

Actually, the more comfortable ride is a major factor in my preference for Indians. The hard tail bounces around a lot but the sprung seat takes a lot of the jar out. Besides, the Messenger solo saddle matches the shape of your ass and has a foam rubber pad with voids in strategic places to maintain a comfortable pattern. I have had the one on the Junior Scout in my avatar on three different Indians, recovered it twice.

In 1962 I rode a 250 Yamaha from San Diego to San Francisco and to St. Louis over old 40. The miserable seat slanted forward, keeping tension on my pants and the spring return throttle had to be held all the time. At the end of a day I would be worn out and my right hand would cramp so badly I cold hardly use a fork. The Bowden wire throttles on the Indians stay where I put them and the footboards let me move my feet back and forth. The Junior neck reins perfectly and most of the time I only need to hold on the handlebars in case I hit a bump. I have ridden my Indians 10 hours and felt fine at the end of the day.

Bill

Thanks for all the suggestions, although wearing sweats or bib's is not on the agenda as I still have a full set of teeth. I'm slim and trim so second helpings isn't the problem..it's the change in the shape of my body. With the butt gone there isn't anything for the belt to 'purchase' on and gravity takes over.

I'll give suspenders another try. I thought maybe there were hi-tech adhesive Velcro patches available that you could glue to your butt and jeans to keep things in place. Maybe I should invent them.

Stuart

I'll give suspenders another try. I thought maybe there were hi-tech adhesive Velcro patches available that you could glue to your butt and jeans to keep things in place. Maybe I should invent them.

Stuart
Get with the anti smoking people to use velcro on the nicotene patch, two birds with one stone :cheers:

Thanks for all the suggestions, although wearing sweats or bib's is not on the agenda as I still have a full set of teeth. I'm slim and trim so second helpings isn't the problem..it's the change in the shape of my body. With the butt gone there isn't anything for the belt to 'purchase' on and gravity takes over.

Stuart

Overall compromise, buy yourself some skinny jeans

Last edited:
I have been wearing Wrangler Riggs jeans lately, as I like a double knee and a hammer loop- they come with suspender buttons built in. So do a variety of other work jeans. Buttons work much better than the metal clips, and come undone less often. More comfortable. I would go to the work clothes store, and see what they have in jeans or work pants with buttons already on them, then buy some good wide suspenders with button loops.
you can also add Carhartt buttons to any pair of pants. 8 buttons for two bucks. Carhartt A135 - Extra Buttons | Dungarees

Back