What's new
What's new

OT -- What fabric for cloth fabric filter on wet/dry shop vac

Weirsdale George

Stainless
Was given an old wet/dry shop vacuum with an internal cloth filter bag supported by a welded wire frame. The existing bag is in bad shape, appears to maybe be cotton and do not know if it is factory or not. What material would make a good replacement filter medium? Thanks.

What brand is your vac? I prefer the Gore-tex Cleanstream filters on anything they fit (Sears, Shop-Vac, Ridgid). For others like my little one gallon Sears wet/dry I just buy the OEM cloth filters. If you measure your filter basket you should be able to find a cloth/bag for a current model that fits. On my 1 gal. the rubber band that holds the cloth on stretched so I just use a ball bungee.

I suck up a lot of crap in mine and have to go through filters pretty quick. I got tired of buying the bags and now I just use one of those orange (around here anyway) "disposable" cloth shopping bags they give you at the grocery store. It starts out kind of baggy but gets sucked onto the filter frame the first time you use it. When it gets nasty you just throw it away.

Back