What's new
What's new

OT - what is the fluid in a MOVA globe?

mfisher

Hot Rolled
A search of the web provided nothing definitive - so here goes:

MOVA Globes

Innovative Rotating Globe Decor - MOVA Globes, A Unique Elegant Gift (not an endorsement, they are a bit overpriced and tend of have problems, but are cool while they last, and I got one as a gift)

have a clear plastic shell, then a globe inside floating in some sort of clear liquid. Using light, and an arrangement of magnets, photo cells of some sorts and a bit of magic, the globes turn inside the shell.

They are notorious for getting air bubbles in them. With a bubble, the globe is no longer suspended, and doesn't rotate.

Easy enough to drill a small hole, and refill, but what is in there? The maker describes it as 'totally safe' and similar to charcoal lighter fluid. They say it is a 'proprietary fluid', but that is probably just marketing. They will sell a replacement globe, but not very cheap.

So I am thinking it is a light paraffin / mineral oil of some sort. Any one know? Fluid density is critical, but since I need to top-up such a small volume, I think just making sure it is miscible and doesn't cloud is the biggest concern.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Maybe Stoddard solvent, which is water clear varsol. This is what was in my aircraft compass. I talked to the A & P mechanic at the airport when my compass leaked down. He said "get a cup full out of that 55 gallon drum over there, take out the plug on top of the compass & fill it". Problem solved.

White spirit - Wikipedia

Paul

Maybe Stoddard solvent, which is water clear varsol. This is what was in my aircraft compass. I talked to the A & P mechanic at the airport when my compass leaked down. He said "get a cup full out of that 55 gallon drum over there, take out the plug on top of the compass & fill it". Problem solved.

White spirit - Wikipedia

Paul

Airpath compasses are made here. George Cottrel, who started the company, told me that they used Stoddard's solvent. He also used it for cleaning fluid.

Bill

Did you finally refilled the globe? I am having the same problem as you, the globe has started to lose liquid, but I do not know what liquid is inside. What liquid did you finally used? How did you open it?

Thank you.

Did you finally refilled the globe? I am having the same problem as you, the globe has started to lose liquid, but I do not know what liquid is inside. What liquid did you finally used? How did you open it?

Thank you.

I'm a little late to the party but just refilled my Mova globe and it's spinning like a top again! Here's what I did and what I used. After drilling a very tiny hole through the plug I used a syringe to add (drum roll please) Gamblin Gamsol Odorless Mineral Spirits. This product is used by artists and a 4.2 ounce bottle can be found at any art supply store like Michael's, Hobby Lobby or on Amazon for about $11. The small globe I have was about 25% low which required about 1.5 oz. to refill. When full I used a dab of "Goop" to seal the hole. Hope this is helpful to all who may stumble upon it!

Mova Globe Fluid Top-Up

A search of the web provided nothing definitive - so here goes:

MOVA Globes

Innovative Rotating Globe Decor - MOVA Globes, A Unique Elegant Gift (not an endorsement, they are a bit overpriced and tend of have problems, but are cool while they last, and I got one as a gift)

have a clear plastic shell, then a globe inside floating in some sort of clear liquid. Using light, and an arrangement of magnets, photo cells of some sorts and a bit of magic, the globes turn inside the shell.

They are notorious for getting air bubbles in them. With a bubble, the globe is no longer suspended, and doesn't rotate.

Easy enough to drill a small hole, and refill, but what is in there? The maker describes it as 'totally safe' and similar to charcoal lighter fluid. They say it is a 'proprietary fluid', but that is probably just marketing. They will sell a replacement globe, but not very cheap.

So I am thinking it is a light paraffin / mineral oil of some sort. Any one know? Fluid density is critical, but since I need to top-up such a small volume, I think just making sure it is miscible and doesn't cloud is the biggest concern.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

I have recently topped up my Mova Globe as it has been slowly losing fluid over the past 4 years such that it is a 3rd of the way down the globe and the only way to keep it running was with a paper clipped strategically placed on the top of the globe to help counteract the balance lost due to the lack of fluid.

Having read various suggestion about what to use as a replacement fluid, I bit the bullet and used BBQ lighter fluid. I used a hot needle to make a small hole at the point where the globe was filled during construction. Using a syringe, I took a few mils of fluid and mixed it with the BBQ lighter fluid. No signs of reaction to the two being mixed, so I topped the globe up with the BBQ lighter fluid, sealed the hole with glue from a hot glue gun and it has been working fine ever since with no visible change to the fluid colour etc.

Hope that might help anyone unsure what to try.

If low viscosity same as spirit level I’d guess, high viscosity then glycol or glycerin perhaps, draw a sample, maybe isopropanol aka isopropyl alcohol without a handy lab ( it was handy!) you could iD it by refractive index
The stunning alternative is simply ask them to refil it or supply filling?
Never seen one but sounds cool, I’m a sucker for gadgets ( looking for a nixi clock at the moment, or one of the alternatives)
Mark

Back