What's new
What's new

OT: What product do you use to reattach loose shower floor tiles?

Spud

Diamond
Custom walk-in shower. Some shower floor tiles have come loose. The substrate under the tiles is some kind of rubbery liner. What waterproof product can I use to re-attach the tiles, and it needs to cure in 24 hrs.

The product is called hire-a-better-tile-guy

If it is like a schluter system[orange] either the substrate is moving and failing or they used the wrong stuff or installed it wrong

My guess is it is not just a few tiles, it all needs to be re done

Have an 8 year old curbless shower over Schluter that has but a few chipped tiles and my last house has a now 14 year old that AFAIK is holding up fine

I did a custom tile shower in my last house, probably used it half dozen years or more no issues. It should have a base sloped mortar bed, then the liner, then another layer of mortar. If you Google it you will see plenty of drawings. I am guessing it was done wrong and as previously said the tiles will just keep popping up. What does the mortar look like? Has it been applied properly with harrows?

The issue is that the failed adhesive is still in place. To repair it properly you will have to remove the old adhesive and prepare the tile and base for the new adhesive. As has been said, you may want to redo the entire floor.

Tom

Custom walk-in shower. Some shower floor tiles have come loose. The substrate under the tiles is some kind of rubbery liner. What waterproof product can I use to re-attach the tiles, and it needs to cure in 24 hrs.

3m "marine" adhesive wil get you through for "a while".

Sounds like a FUBAR'ed install, though. Wants re-done, properly.

That liner material is not meant to be directly tiled to/over. It should have either been "sandwiched" between two layers of concrete/mortar/grout, ELSE used as just a safety and condensation barrier under a one-piece ready-made pan of plastic, porcelain, stainless, or artificial stone - but in any case self-contained - and set in-place over it.

Get some of this:

SCS2 SilPruf Sealant | Weatherseal | GE Silicones

Amazon.com: silpruf scs2
(buy color to match grout)

Clean the piss out of everything (knock any grout off tile edges and wire brush)- mask the face of tile with blue tape (around edges), lay down SilProf and spread with a 3/16" notched trowel held 70 degrees to surface, set tiles and press into bedding caulk, pay in the seams with more caulk and tool with Popsicle stick or the like with correct radius for grout width, pull tape while still wet pulling back from work at 45 degree.
If done correctly- this will hold for a long time...

As stated above by Bill- that installation is not correct.
The rubber membrane is designed to go on the ply subpan with Durarock or mortar bed over it not as a substrate for setting tile.

You can do a quick repair with Phenoseal, available at the big box stores in colors. Cleans up with water, and can use as a grout also. The right way is to redo the floor.

Back