What's new
What's new

OT/ What is substutition for Lime-Away?

rj newbould

Diamond
I remember reading a long time ago about a common chemical which does the same job as Lime-Away and for less money..

Anyone know what that is?

Lime away, aka CLR is glycolic acid solution, I guess it is used because it is a mild organic acid (kinda like citric but with an alpha hydroxy group) yet it is strong enough to dissolve basic deposits in a reasonable time.

A cheap substitute would be phosphoric acid or even cheaper muriatic (HCl) that has been diluted, if you have the neccesary protective equipment. Phosphoric doesnt fume but it can be hard to find.

Phosphoric is easily available at Lowes etc if you look for 'concrete etch". Much of it is phosphoric.

Great rust remover, and unlike muriatic, it will not spread rust all through your shop

Phosphoric is easily available at Lowes etc if you look for 'concrete etch". Much of it is phosphoric.

Great rust remover, and unlike muriatic, it will not spread rust all through your shop

I've been using peletized acid that I believe is phosphoric to clean the screens in my well. Does anyone know if concrete etch would be a locally available substitute.

Clutch

If you have a Dollar Tree near by they sell a product called "The Works Tub and Shower Cleaner" . The stuff works great. I use it on my boat to clean that scum and stains that get on fiberglass. It costs $1. a bottle. The hull cleaner at the boat store cost $10. The cheap stuff works just as good. You can smell some kind of acid in it.

Dpmn't ever use muratic acid indoors. The fumes travel everywhere causing rust, lifting chrome, and inflicting general mischief in the most unespected places. The fumes even migrate through plastic jugs.

Use phosphoiric acid for general etching and lime removal. If you have more time use acetic acid like white vinegar.

Iron Out instead of Lime Away

IMO hands down a product called "Iron Out" is the alternative to lime away. The odor is strong but the out come is good.

i was thinking that hard water is causing my towels to become tough and rough, so was looking for an alternative to lime-away, something cheap.
It looks like the answer is Vinegar. I've tried bleach and it seemed to work for a time, or a little. I think I can feel ok about leaving the towel in a gallon of vinegar vs. bleach.

I believe that Muriatic is basically HCL, hydrochloric, which bleach is as well. That is a bit different from Phosphoric Acid. The latter would be weaker afaik.
What do you think about tackling hard water deposits? I know lime-away is good for that, but what about something cheap for clothing or towels?

Thanks. I'm going to try the vinegar.

Do you think ammonia would be worth trying?

i was thinking that hard water is causing my towels to become tough and rough, so was looking for an alternative to lime-away, something cheap.
It looks like the answer is Vinegar. I've tried bleach and it seemed to work for a time, or a little. I think I can feel ok about leaving the towel in a gallon of vinegar vs. bleach.

I believe that Muriatic is basically HCL, hydrochloric, which bleach is as well. That is a bit different from Phosphoric Acid. The latter would be weaker afaik.
What do you think about tackling hard water deposits? I know lime-away is good for that, but what about something cheap for clothing or towels?

Thanks. I'm going to try the vinegar.

Do you think ammonia would be worth trying?

The OP is long gong.

Yes, please try vinegar, ammonia, and bleach.
1-1-1 in the same bowl.

The OP is long gong.

Yes, please try vinegar, ammonia, and bleach.
1-1-1 in the same bowl.
For those unfamiliar with digger doug's sense of humor, this is a recipe for producing free chlorine gas, which is toxic enough to be used as a poison gas in WW I.

Despite explicit safety training on NOT MIXING ammonia and bleach cleaning agents, a group going through AF basic training at the same time I did managed to gas themselves bad enough to send three of them to the base hospital at Lackland AFB for a few days.

For those unfamiliar with digger doug's sense of humor, this a recipe for producing free chlorine gas, which is toxic enough to be used as a poison gas in WW I.

Despite explicit safety training on NOT MIXING ammonia and bleach cleaning agents, a group going through AF basic training at the same time I did managed to gas themselves bad enough to send three of them to the base hospital at Lackland AFB for a few days.

Sure would cut down on TROLLS eh ?

Although I definitely agree that was not good, unless the person reading is a SUPER moron, these additional posts should serve as a stark enough warning to NOT mix ammonia or vinegar and chlorine bleach together. Again, DO NOT. Depending on quantity you will get sick or possibly die...

Vinegar is slow acting. Phosphoric acid is faster. It would be nice to get a bottle of it as easily as muriatic acid, instead of hunting around for a product that
that has a colorful name and is more expensive than just plain phosphoric acid.

When using muriatic acid I follow with a quick rinse of water then brush or dab on phosphoric acid of some variety to keep a the flash of rust away.

Back