Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside Fab View Post
    Was shopping for a ton truck last year and almost went with a 6.0. Ended up with an LBZ duramax instead for about the same money. The V10 gas engines were disappointing to me, and couldnt afford the new 7.3 gas.
    I drove several V10 equipped Fords, I thought they were pretty good although they sounded a little strange when under heavy load. The 7.3 gas engine seems to be pretty good, but big $$. Then again, the diesel isn't cheap either.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jermfab View Post
    I’m a bow tie guy, and still not a diesel person, but the consensus I’ve gotten is that the Duramax is way problematic. It makes good power and the Allison trans is rumored to be AWESOME, but things break and I’m sure they’re stupid complex as well.

Cummins are probably the best engine of the bunch, the 7.3 powerstoke MAY come close, but I don’t think anyone has turned a powerstroke up to the levels mildly built Cummins make. Interpret as you will, but I’ve been noticing a TON of Cummins-badged Nissans lately. I have absolutely NO idea what Dodge’s competition to a C/10 or F100 is... can’t say I’ve ever seen one...
    Jeremy
    Snipped a couple parts out here because I agree with most of what you said. You can't turn up a duramax and expect them to live. But if you're looking at trucks for commercial purposes, only someone incompetent, or with money to burn would turn one up.

Some other replies in here noted whats wrong with the various duramax generations, the sweet spot is around 05-07 IMO.

You cant look at what a certain brand did in 1980 or 2020 if you are shopping for a mid 2000s truck. They all kinda rotate around who makes the best one at at certain time. The common rail dodges in the mid 2000s had some major injector problems, to the point that every article or video you see on them says to check for blowby because when an injector fails it usually takes out the piston with it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    I drove several V10 equipped Fords, I thought they were pretty good although they sounded a little strange when under heavy load. The 7.3 gas engine seems to be pretty good, but big $$. Then again, the diesel isn't cheap either.
    Never got a chance to put a trailer behind one, but they seemed awful sluggish empty. And the steering & ride was only slightly better than a 1970s model 4wd.

I would buy the V10 over a 6.0 or 6.4 ford, or a 6.0 chevy for that matter.

Not sure if you have shopped V10 fords lately, but they carry a pretty good premium right now.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kb0thn View Post
    Don't get a flat bed. They are the biggest pain the ass for general purpose use. Want a 2x4 from the lumber yard? You get to spend 10 minutes tying it down. Want four bags of dog food? You get to spend 10 minutes typing it down. Want to get stopped by every commercial vehicle enforcement officer. You get that for free!
    I know lumber is pretty expensive right now, but you can fix most of your problems with 2x10 short sides and a few tie down pockets welded inboard.

DOT is easier to get along with here.

I wouldnt have a ton truck without a flatbed. But I haul a bunch of skids, and have had my regular pickup bed torn all to hell dragging them in and out, and all the forklift drivers that cant seem to see where they are going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kb0thn View Post
    Why did your Duramax quit in 20k miles? Anything to do with dune bashing?

From seeing your posts over the years, it seems that you have a steam cleaning business of some sort. And you dune bash your truck. And you have picked up a lathe in a rental truck. None of those things need a diesel truck.

Get a Toyota for your dune bashing.

Get a gas engine truck for daily driving.

Don't get a flat bed. They are the biggest pain the ass for general purpose use. Want a 2x4 from the lumber yard? You get to spend 10 minutes tying it down. Want four bags of dog food? You get to spend 10 minutes typing it down. Want to get stopped by every commercial vehicle enforcement officer. You get that for free!

I'm driving 50k a year with trailer currently in a gas 6.0L V8 Chevy Silverado 3500HD. Truck has 150k miles on it and since I got it with 11k miles, I have changed the oil and put new tires on it. I changed transmission oil and brake pads at 100k miles, but that was mostly because I felt like I should do some sort of maintenance to the truck. For my 139k I have driven it, I haven't had to rebuild any engines, I don't get diesel on my shoes and hands, I don't have to listen to loud ass diesel endlessly.

If you pulled a heavy trailer at freeway speeds day in and day out, get a diesel. Then keep it for more than the 20k you have kept your current truck.

Last year I had a warning on the D.I.C. "water in fuel system". Thought it was an error message and ignored it. Truck went into limp mode. Diesel repair shop fixed it; just needed a new fuel filter.

I wanted the diesel for the longevity, fuel economy, the good reputation the Duramax has and the Allison 1000.

After owning this truck for 3+ years, a flatbed would be soo much more usefull, but the down side is the width and length. If I do get a flatbed / stakebed, it won't be a daily driver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buy a Prius.

7. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Buy a Prius.
    With a Lester Pitter diesel in it....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

10. Likes Spud liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a local shop that has been putting cummins into fords.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have a 99 with the 7.3 that's the daily driver. I've had a couple minor problems with it, but not with the basic motor. Had to replace the IDM at around 230K for a component failure on the board.

I also have a 2007 with the 6.0. It's been down for a while due to chasing a HPOP problem and some some harness repair work. Had to change the standpipes and dummy plugs due to leakage, and unknowingly cut an injector seal when I put one log back on. It hasn't been warm enough for me to get back over to where the truck is and pull things down to replace the cut seal. I'm going ahead and updating the STC fitting and the fuel pressure springs at the same time to prevent known problems. This truck had 170K on it and was somewhat abused when I got it, so catching up on all the maintenance and update items.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    With a Lester Pitter diesel in it....
    You can pit Lesters now?

Ed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had 7.3 power strokes and a 6.0 and my newest truck is a 6.7. my help liked fords Im a dodge guy.
    7.3 awesome engine gutless wonder unless you have 5.38 rear ends 6.0 still have one i bought it at 200,000 miles in another 100,000 miles I have put a new engine new wiring harness have about 17 grand in repairs would never buy another but it gets up and goes, when it and if it starts. the oil changes are critical on a 6.0 even bulletproofed the lifters came apart and took out the engine. 6.4s under heavy use break cranks. that's why they are so cheap. 6.7 so far I like it but only at 20,000 miles. during all this time my 06 5.9 cummins still runs, needs only basic maintenance, have had to change injectors once, now the dodge around it 3 rebuilds on the front end can't talk in the cab to noisy, and its still like herding chickens to keep it on the road. but its hitting 350000 miles and still going strong. little gutless compared to the 6.7 or the 6.0

15. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

A 6v-53 (with a turbo) is sounding better each day....

17. Likes gbent, atex57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

V10 Ford? I had one in an F-250, 2005 model. Owned it for just under 10 years and 95K miles. Never had any issue with it. Changed oil every 5K, and the plugs one time. The big problem was the engine was just too weak. It burned gas, not diesel. Every time I had to tow or haul anything I wish I had spent the extra 6K up front for a diesel, and all of the extra hassle associated with expensive maintenance and expensive repairs, and the noise. Not to mention that without the diesel, I had to find other ways of compensating for my 2" long pee-pee.

Actually, it never failed to pull or haul anything with ease. It's the same engine/trans they use in Winnebago's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think an 8V-71T will fit under a Superduty hood well. Wee bit of front spring upgrade may be required.

Problem with 2 strokes is they are no longer mainstream power plants. Parts, especially fuel system parts are low bidder junk. Detroit may always run, but hard to enjoy one and depend on it when the only injectors you buy are junk.

12 valve Cummins is/has been a mainstream power plant worldwide since the mid 1980's. I believe 12 valve will be well supported until we run out of oil. Even then run it on sunflower oil or french fry oil or whatever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Aluminum block even better! And I don't have to install some $1500 6" exhaust system to make noise.

21. Likes atex57 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I was at an auction.....and I was seriously looking at a Walter All wheel drive airport crash truck. It sold for $3k...
    Attention Required! | Cloudflare

It had an 8v-92 silver series (twin turbo IIRC) in the back with an allison.....They wanted it to get that 2000 gallons of water, to that crash Right Now !

I thought about removing the central water tank, and making it into a van. With carpeting and all.

Sure would make the daily commute more satisfying....

23. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two-stroke diesels are barely making OFF-SHORE emissions requirements anymore.

Regardless of whether parts availability is dwindling or not, there’s no way an OEM is sticking anything resembling a Detroit Diesel in a vehicle these days. There’s no EGR valve/DEF combo that could make one of those engines make current emissions requirements.

And that’s before attempting a guaranteed anti-dieseling system, not to mention run-on prevention.

Modern drivers want their motors to turn off with a key and surely don’t EVER expect to race from the truck cab and pitch rags at the intake to shut their truck off.

Somewhere in between those requirements and the luxury appointments of a 2021 Lariat King Ranch F-350 come California emissions. Manufacturers aren’t gonna do 49/California vehicles anymore, so whatever California demands is gonna wind up on any vehicle you buy from here on. Even in the 3/4 & 1-ton class.

“Plastics my boy! They’re the way of the future!”

Jeremy

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jermy ,the BS meter has dun broke the needle after that.....in any case in the very unlikely event of a stuck rack ,you can always pull the emergency stop,and have a somewhat smoky shutdown.......personally ,I just turn the key ,and the solenoid shuts the rack down to stop.....If you got the spring loaded levers ,then one seized injector cant jam the rack ,anyhoo.AS to anti -dieselling....dunno why you want a diesel to anti diesel.......I suppose you could get EGR by putting the intake next to the exhaust stack........hell ,next you'll be sayin Jake brake noise is anti -social.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Jermy ,the BS meter has dun broke the needle after that.....in any case in the very unlikely event of a stuck rack ,you can always pull the emergency stop,and have a somewhat smoky shutdown.......personally ,I just turn the key ,and the solenoid shuts the rack down to stop.....If you got the spring loaded levers ,then one seized injector cant jam the rack ,anyhoo.AS to anti -dieselling....dunno why you want a diesel to anti diesel.......I suppose you could get EGR by putting the intake next to the exhaust stack........hell ,next you'll be sayin Jake brake noise is anti -social.
    a world without CAT 3406/C15 Jake's through 8" straight pipes is like a world without sunshine.

It's funny though, bash a Detroit 2 stroke all you want, they run and run and run...then run some more...sit for 20 years then run and run some more.

27. Likes digger doug, Antarctica liked this post