What's new
What's new

Removing old linoleum

jermfab

Cast Iron
Any tips?!?

Besides elbow-grease and meanness?

Is there a solvent or particular implement that works better? I have about 1800 sq. ft. that I want to make go away. My reserves of meanness are topped-off, but I would just as soon save as much elbow grease as possible.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

I used three old electric irons (for clothes) to preheat and soften the glue. One iron per square. Smaller area than yours but made quick work.
John

yes we have something similar here

Search results for: 'tile lifter stripper'

I am sure you could make something in a pinch and sell it off later if you cannot source one.

It just moves back and forth, so anything running off a small crank powered by a electric motor.
cannot recall exact distance it moves try 10 mm and change it if required.
At the front is a dull blade, not sharp enough to dig in but sharp enough to get under tile.
I did a concrete floor so digging in wasn't a issue with it.

I tried several ways when stripping my kitchen. Fastest one I found was a rotary hammer with a 6" wide chisel/putty type blade. Zipped it right off quick as you please.

Check the age and backing of the linoleum. A lot of linoleum-like products here sold up to the 1980’s had an asbestos backing.

I removed two layers of flooring from my breakfast room in Florida: one tile and the other some kind of sheet goods on top of it. With two layers, it was already above the level of the kitchen floor and the lines in the tiles showed up through the sheet flooring.

I rented one of those stripper machines and it did make a lot easier job of it. I kept it wet in case there was asbestos in the tiles. It cut the tiles dead flat. Where there were low spots in the concrete slab, it left a flat surface filled in with the remains of the tile. I was very pleased with it and the new flooring went on very easily after that. I did not have to do anything else to prep the surface.

If you rent one, be sure the blade is sharp. You want to cut the old flooring, not rip it off.

The only bad thing was I woke up that day with a migraine and had to use the very loud machine while my head was banging with pain. I did not want to pay another day's rent. I was younger, more endurant, and not as well off financially at the time. But I was sure glad when it was finished.

Is it individual squares, or sheet? I did about 10,000 sq ft of squares some years ago, what worked best was a tool called a Big Mutt, put a good edge on it and place beveled edge against floor, and get after it like you are angry. Have fun!

If 9" x 9" squares they might contain asbestos, advise a respirator and good clean up, and don't grind on them.

They make a bent shank SDS+ tile spade for lifting ceramic tile. I have seen photos of pneumatic mini jackhammers for tile stripping. They look like a shovel handle with a wide blade at the end. Advantage is you stand up not down on your knees.
Bil lD

What's under the linoleum? Usually there is a luan underlayment. Maybe score the linoleum and pry the underlayment up.

I did a kitchen with a putty knife, hammer and meanness. About 140 sq.ft. took about 3 hrs.
It didn't have to be perfect because I was doing ceramic tile over it.

Thanks all! I’m looking into renting a machine for this venture. I knew there had to be such a device, it’s just not something that’s ever been in my wheelhouse.
I wish I could justify the liquid NO2, with a cool cryo-rated valve or solenoid, but I just can’t for this project. And as much as I do enjoy a good fire, this is probably not an application for gasoline and matches.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Back