Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    Never saw a round one. ....
    Figures. Only the real studs had those.

Circular Slide Rules | Smithsonian Institution

You probably didn't know that condoms had serial numbers on them, either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You find lots of slide rules in chem labs, your normal looking one, duplex if you will, circular and there seem to be lots of tubular ones, popular with the older chemists, I don’t know how to work one properly, just manage a flat straight one, we had those in school, plus 4 fig tables and later 7 figure aka Naparian, ( each one with just about every formula known to man carefully inscribed between the columns and rows as an exam cheat sheet, the stationary shop was always out of mapping pens and drawing ink pre exam time.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Only round one I ever used was an E6-B....
    In one Star Trek episode there is the standard moment when Kirk says we will hit the atmosphere and burn up in 20 minutes and Spock says "I make it 20 minutes and 33 seconds, captain." The calculator he is holding is an E6B.

In the 50s I routinely carried a 6" Picket in my shirt pocket and used a Pickett Vector for serious work. It almost got me fired when I was doing accelerometer damping ratios. I would mount them on a shaker table and find the resonant point, then do a calculation from the shake displacement and the accelerometer reading. The calculation involves squaring a value. Normally we would test a batch and take the readings to the office where we ran them on a mechanical Friden. The 12" Pickett had expanded scales for squares and cubes so I could calculate the ratio to a close tolerance and fill out the sheets as I went. The Vice President of the company happened by, saw what I was doing, and threw a tantrum. I took my sheets in the office and got the same answers on the Friden, which only made him madder. He finally got fired, not soon enough.

Bill

4. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anyone noticed what a remarkable thread this is. Thermite, Donie and Emanual Goldstein have not posted and it has not degenerated into obscene name calling.

Bill
    Last edited by 9100; 01-25-2021 at 09:23 AM.

6. Likes Homebrewblob, Ron Hofer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    Has anyone noticed what a remarkable thread this is. Thermite, Donie and Emmanual Goldstein have not posted and it has not degenerated into obscene name calling.

Bill
    I’m here now, whad I miss?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    [he] got the same answers on the Friden, which only made him madder. He finally got fired, not soon enough.
    Bill
    Heh funny how that works. Even when you win an argument with your boss (or your spouse) you *still* lose.