What's new
What's new

OT-What's in your name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bukwerm

Cast Iron
I'm kinda curious about the stories behind other members screen names. Mine refers to the fact that I've always been amazed at the cool stuff I could read about. I'm the guy who read Encyclopedia Britannica as a kid. :o I think I about wore out the airplane section. :) The misspelling of bookworm is just kinda a tongue in cheek thing. Seems like a guy who reads a lot should probably be able to spell...

I'd been haunting PM almost daily for over a year before I finally registered and I couldn't help notice the variety of names. Some of the them are obviously the members business or given name, but some seem to be nicknames or inspired by something.

So... whats your name all about? Gotta be some cool stories in here.

Or, what do you think someone else's name refers to?

Around here a lot of guys refer to Dodge trucks as Dogs rather than Dodges. Call them big dogs. I got a set of vanity plates for my 2500 diesel years ago just to tweak them. I wanted Big Dog but it was already taken so I settled for BHIG DOG. It kind of stuck and I use it for a few things now...............Bob

Mine is a tribute to one of my adolescent hero's. Combined with my birth year. Doug Domokos. I grew up fascinated by his talents, and spent most of my extra time trying to mimic him. It has just stuck, and I have been using it since my first email account in 1995.

Mine is of course my given name, but I wrote it as such because I'm an enthusist of old school machining, and it seems like the oldest tools I find with names on them are written with the initials followed by the last name.

Making dual alternator kits is what started my self employment, hence the name Dualkit. I no longer make them so maybe I should change my name.

I work almost exclusively with toolsteel at work. 4140,A-8, D-2, H-13, various powdered metals. I chose it before I realized we all get a little membership "rating" near our names

I don't like screen names. Just use my own. Who cares, it's a machinist forum.

Of course you use your own John. That's the only way to be a respectable troll, and anyone who's hung around this forum for any length of time knows you are the role model all troll mamas steer their children towards. :D

Interesting replies.

I belong to a local slot car racing club, and started making specialized tools for folks, and needed a "company" name, small time racing was the name.
Here's one of my tracks:
Mid-America HO Racing (Pics)

I'm also, kind of a small guy, 5'6" about 160. This also plays into the screen name.

Tim Leppert
AKA smalltime

I don't like screen names. Just use my own. Who cares, it's a machinist forum.

I agree with John. Mine is a variation - initials and zip. My profile is open to anyone who may be interested in my name, credentials, and background. But I also use it for other forums as well that do not provide the access so people can tell where I'm coming from.

Best Regards,
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back