What's new
What's new

OT When I hit "NEW POSTS" this comes up

Ray Behner

Diamond
''The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts.''

I get the new posts, but after that notification there's 739 posts and counting. Logged out and in, but to no avail.

Yep here too. Also when I click on New Posts, then click on a post, then click on New Posts the thread has disappeared from the list, until someone else replies to the thread it seems.

I have been getting the same thing but not all the time. I thought it was related to me rebooting my computer.
P.S. Hey Ray I used my bandsaw clamp yesterday and it always makes me think of you. :D

@Demon73 - Development team here. If you click on New Posts and then click on a thread in that list and then go back to New Posts, the thread would disappear from the list because it is no longer "new" to you. If someone replies to the thread and you haven't seen the reply yet, then it would appear under New Posts.

Thank you,
PM

@Ray Behner - Development team here. We are trying to understand what's going on here a little better. Can you send me a screenshot of what you see in the New Posts section? What device, browser and OS are you using?

I believe that message (The threads below have not been updated...) is saying that the threads have not been updated since your last visit, but they contain posts (replies) that you have not read yet, which is why they are showing up in the New Posts section.

My apologies if I'm misunderstanding the issue.

Thank you,
PM

@Demon73 - Development team here. If you click on New Posts and then click on a thread in that list and then go back to New Posts, the thread would disappear from the list because it is no longer "new" to you. If someone replies to the thread and you haven't seen the reply yet, then it would appear under New Posts.

Thank you,
PM

Understood. Its just that it wasnt like this before the last site maintenance, unless im going nuts lol.
The thread would just make its way down the New Posts list until someone posted to the thread. Then in the morning (for me in the UK) the New Post list would reset to zero and the process would start again.

I notice that when I reply to a post it disappears off the list of new posts. It will not show up again until someone else posts after mine. It is visible if you go to that category and find it. Just reading posts seems to be normal, they get lighter to indicate read, just the replied to posts leave the new posts list, no matter how many times I hit "view new posts".
I hope this is helpful :)

A little more from my end. I do not see posts that I have looked at (they disappear) when I click the new posts, but they do show up as a lighter shade if I do back arrow to go back to main list of posts. I think that before if I did back arrow they would not indicate I had read them (stay the brighter color)

have noticed something else.
If I click on a thread for the first time and dont view the last page, then click on New Posts the thread still shows up in New Posts.
If I view the last page it disappears from the New Post list and I have to find it in the sub forum or activity list.

@Demon73 - Thanks for posting the video. This is how the New Post feature is supposed to function. You clicked on page 1 of the thread - that is not where the new post is, so when you go back to the New Posts screen, the thread would still be listed there (because you haven't navigated to the page where the new post is).

Then when you click on page 2, that's where the new post is, so when you go back to the New Posts screen, the thread won't be there anymore because it acknowledges that you have "read" the new post.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
PM

Ugh, this new behavior is quite bad IMO. Here's why. "New Posts" is the only way to see what's going on across all the PM forums. There are dozens of forums on PM, so it is very impractical to go forum by forum to see " what's going on." Activity stream is sort of that, but it is limited to 75 activities.

The new interpretation of "New Posts" is too literal. 2 scenarios that are now much harder than they were before the change:

1. I reply to a post, then I want to re-read it to see if it makes sense. With the new interpretation, I have to remember which forum it was under, then go to that forum to see it.
2. I want to re-read a thread on something interesting that I now might want to contribute to. I have to know which forum it was in, then go to that forum. Or, hope that someone adds a post to it so it goes back into "New Posts."

I liked the old way better. It was like that for years, and worked well IMO.

Regards.

Mike

Ugh, this new behavior is quite bad IMO. Here's why. "New Posts" is the only way to see what's going on across all the PM forums. There are dozens of forums on PM, so it is very impractical to go forum by forum to see " what's going on." Activity stream is sort of that, but it is limited to 75 activities.

The new interpretation of "New Posts" is too literal. 2 scenarios that are now much harder than they were before the change:

1. I reply to a post, then I want to re-read it to see if it makes sense. With the new interpretation, I have to remember which forum it was under, then go to that forum to see it.
2. I want to re-read a thread on something interesting that I now might want to contribute to. I have to know which forum it was in, then go to that forum. Or, hope that someone adds a post to it so it goes back into "New Posts."

I liked the old way better. It was like that for years, and worked well IMO.

Regards.

Mike

For damn sure. Don't fix things that don't need fixed! What a mess.

"I liked the old way better. It was like that for years, and worked well IMO."

"Don't fix things that don't need fixed! What a mess."

These comments are 100% on target as far as I am concerned. I've never understood why worse-than-useless "improvements" are so common. My two most charitable guesses are that either the improvers have lost sight of what the majority of users want, or that someone is trying to impress someone.

-Marty-

Back