What's new
What's new

OT: Where to buy quality kitchen scissors

Bill D

Diamond
Off Topic: We need to buy some new general purpose scissors for the kitchen. Need to be stainless and decent quality. All I see are made in China with a riveted joint.
how do I tell if they are quality and where can I buy some good ones. office stores craft stores or what?
Fiskars are now made in China, seem like average weakly made plastic handles.
Bill D

I'll bet that was a unusual divorce decree ; 'party of the first part gets sole custody of the children; party of the second part gets the scissors, as long as he doesn't run with them...'

Off Topic: We need to buy some new general purpose scissors for the kitchen. Need to be stainless and decent quality. All I see are made in China with a riveted joint.
how do I tell if they are quality and where can I buy some good ones. office stores craft stores or what?
Fiskars are now made in China, seem like average weakly made plastic handles.
Bill D

Cutco is the best engineered pair of shears by a wide margin

Amazon.com: CUTCO Model 77 Super Shears still in the box from the factory. . . . . . . . . . . . . . High Carbon Stainless blades and black handles.: Cutco Cutlery: Kitchen & Dining

The Solingen crowd is pale in comparison, but still good.

Amazon.com: J.A. Henckels International Kitchen Shears: Cutlery Shears: Kitchen & Dining
Amazon.com: Wusthof 5558-1 Come-Apart Kitchen Shears: Cutlery Shears: Kitchen & Dining

do not buy from amazon, search for better prices.

dee
;-D

I've got a pair of henckels, and I like them enough.

If I need a different pair, I'd probably buy a set of miltex bandage scissors. Not the plastic handle....though those are damn good as well.

I carried a pair daily for four years and never even had to sharpen them. I cut everything that came along from bandages, skin, plastic, cardboard, whatever I needed. Even wires on occasion.

I think the Shun's are like $40. They're plenty good enough. You could buy two pair and still be cheaper than the Cutco.

Harbor freight.

Kidding, you could ask a local restaurant to see what they use. Usually, the professionals tend to use high quality tools that are reliable and will last.

Forty or fifty years ago, I bought a Griffon brand (Italy) kitchen shears made of forged carbon steel with plating. It was kind of cheap but OK quality and I never used it much. Once I got married, SWMBO used it a lot and even cut herself with it a number of times.

She bought a set of Cutco knives before we married and we still use them. About ten years ago she bought a Cutco kitchen shears from the child of an old friend who was trying to be a Cutco peddler. She has tried it a few times and says the joint is too stiff. They are very well made otherwise, with probably wax cast stainless blades and plastic handles.

Last year, Amazon had a $6.95 deal on this: Amazon.com: Culina(R) Kitchen Scissors 8" Heavy-Duty Come-Apart S/S, Multipurpose: Kitchen & Dining I bought it and SWMBO can use them OK. It is very well made from stainless flat stock with molded plastic handles. Probably Chinese, but not marked on the shears. Good deal at the sale price.

Larry

are you guys serious? $120 for a pair of small scissors? i have around 20 scissors around the house and shop, i get them for $2 and sharpen them myself if needed. if they come appart i forge them into something else.

What might you forge a broken pair of $2 scissors into?

We all know that cheap shitty tools exist, the OP asked for quality kitchen scissors.

Back