What's new
What's new

OT: Where can I get a garage door for a shed?

teemfan93

Cast Iron
Building a small shed and I'd like to put up a garage door in the front (maybe 6' wide) for my mower. I'm not really having any luck hunting down a kit to self-install. Ideally something that comes with the panels, tracks, springs, etc. and I can just bolt together. Has anyone done this before, and if so where'd you have luck finding the kit?

I recommend a sliding door (or two doors opening left and right) the tracks can be purchased on Amazon or check HD or Lowes. You can make the doors out of anything you want. Tracks will last longer than the building.

Search for Sliding Barn Door Hardware kit

If you have to have a rollup sectional garage door any place that sells them can get you one. Or you can get a used one of any width and cut the ends down to the width you want and have your narrow door. Be sure to get all the track with the door. A CL door should be free with no track, but track isnt hard to get either.

I have a local garage door dealer and they sold me everything needed to install my two doors. Pretty standard stuff. Almost any manufacturer can do smaller than standard doors. Google "overhead door" in your area to start but there have got to be a ton of garage door sellers/installers down there. There are plenty here in Maine.

Building a small shed and I'd like to put up a garage door in the front (maybe 6' wide) for my mower. I'm not really having any luck hunting down a kit to self-install. Ideally something that comes with the panels, tracks, springs, etc. and I can just bolt together. Has anyone done this before, and if so where'd you have luck finding the kit?

They are all OVER the place. eBay, even.

Just cease looking for "garage" door and try "storage unit rollup" instead.

The same goods those rental storage outfits use by the millions.

But one of ever-so-many:

Roll-Up Doors for Storage Units - Steel Storage Roll-Up Door Manufacturer | DBCI

Now go look for a screaming deal, used or NOS, 'coz they are "out there".

:D

"PS:" It can be waaaay cheaper and waaaaaaay faster to just grab two ignorant same-size exterior doors, new or recycled, and hinge 'em, opposite, add DIY trimwork where they meet and DONE.

Advantage? Use stout ones and good hinges and jambs you can hang handy stuff on them, outside as well as inside, and open just the one for human traverse, not both.

Rollup ribbed or panel doors either one are outright USELESS for either of those roles, basically waste scarce wall-space.

"PPS:" A tilt-up mono-panel with drop-down support posts as shed door, and you have also created "extra" sheltered workspace or temp storage that keeps off sun or rain.
This is my personal pref as it makes a smaller shed work better for "useful".

Do mind the windstorms and shut the bugger. You'll want springs or counterweights for easy open, too.

Check out clopay. A lot of the local garage door suppliers carry that brand. They do residential garage doors and commercial roll up doors. I have used their roll up door in the past (it's like a self storage roll up door) and it was extremely easy to install. It was bolt on and done.

I purchased mine from menards. It’s a roll up door 5x8’. It’s white and the door rolls up above the opening so you’d need about 10” above the doorway. They work great comes with all track and hardware for install you just cut verticals to your height. I think it was under 200 took a hour or so to install.way better than dealing with sagging wood rotten doors.

I'd second the idea of building a pair of out-swinging doors out of 2x4 frame and plywood or siding facing -- in your case 3' wide. You get the same 6' opening, at less cost, with far better security against rodents and better sealing (closer fit) to reduce temperature changes, condensation, and rusting inside. They also won't dent the first time you run into them with a mower or ?? The out-swinging wood doors also let you hang things like weed eaters and pole saws from the ceiling -- rather than lose that space to a roll up door.

I've built them as much as 9' high and 4' wide (8' clear opening), some with triangular tops to follow a roof line, insulated inside the door or not, with board on batten, etc. etc. You can probably build and hang a pair in less time already spent in trying to find a supplier -- especially if you plan to build a wood frame shed. The first ones built here haven't sagged or deteriorated in the two decades they've been in place. Depending upon where you live, wood rats or mice may have moved in and out of a building a dozen times in that period if you have roll up type doors. Or maybe just everything inside is rusted inside from cold air followed by warm and humid air entering through the gaps.

And just a personal opinion -- but I think that a proper shed is wood framed and then sided to match your place. Might as well put wood / sided doors on it?

You know judging by posts around here, eventually everyone on PM who owns a garage ends up wanting to put a small CNC mill in their garage, only to discover that a whole bunch of CNC machines are about 84" with the column down, and their doors are about 84". We just sold our Haas TM-2 to a guy who got it in his garage with 1/4" to spare having taken the door off, but he still had to cut a hole in the ceiling to operate it. So the moral of the story is mower shed notwithstanding, put a 96" door in it so we can all appreciate the ease with which you eventually put a CNC in it. Also with a tall door and the right paint job it could end up looking like NASA's vehicle assembly building which would be cool.

Here's a pair of out-swinging wood doors in an 8' wide opening. A roll up would have cost more, be less secure, looked worse, messed with the interior space, and admitted mice, rats, and humid/condensing air around the gaps. These have been in place for around 15 years - main problem is I should have used full brass or stainless hinges despite an overhang sheltering them from rain.

Roll ups have their place -- especially for wide and tall openings and convenient automated operation. Maybe not so much for small doors and sheds?

Attachments

• 2019-01-03 11.29.17.jpg
    2019-01-03 11.29.17.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 52
I'd second the idea of building a pair of out-swinging doors out of 2x4 frame and plywood or siding facing -- in your case 3' wide. You get the same 6' opening, at less cost, with far better security against rodents and better sealing (closer fit) to reduce temperature changes, condensation, and rusting inside. They also won't dent the first time you run into them with a mower or ?? The out-swinging wood doors also let you hang things like weed eaters and pole saws from the ceiling -- rather than lose that space to a roll up door.
Opening them with 24" of snow on the ground is a bitch....
Same with outside sliding pole barn doors, even inside ones
the snow keys against the corrugated tin, and locks them tight.

Opening up a
"garage" or "roll up" door is simple, and if your careful,
no snow falls inside.

Opening them with 24" of snow on the ground is a bitch....
Same with outside sliding pole barn doors, even inside ones
the snow keys against the corrugated tin, and locks them tight.

Opening up a
"garage" or "roll up" door is simple, and if your careful,
no snow falls inside.

Good point, if you're in an area that regularly gets a foot or more of snow and the OP wants to get his lawn mower out then.

Still have to shovel the snow to get to the shed. Could be useful if it's a snow blower in PA rather than the OP's lawn mower in VA you want out . . .

I built a 12' x 16' and a 10' x 12' shed/ building and have standard style 5 foot wide tracked sectional doors on both.
Wayne Dalton and Overhead Doors have them. I forget which one had them from 3 foot wide and up.

Back