What's new
What's new

OT: Where to find International shipping compliant wood/lumber for crate building.

Spud

Diamond
Need to build a crate to send a large item (around 650lbs not including crating weight) to Europe.

I believe the proper Stamp is the ISPM 15 compliance .
Lee Inspection and Consulting Services - ISPM 15 Stamp Program

Anyone know of Lumber/logistics providers in the South East Wisconsin area selling lumber with this Stamp?

Thanks

Update:

I talked to a wholesale lumber yard in Illinois and they said that most places do not sell raw lumber with the ISPM 15 Stamp. They build the shipping crate and then heat treat the whole thing and then apply the Stamp. I would not be able to get a company to Apply the stamp to a crate I build, they would have to build it themselves.

1 more question:
Only lumber needs the stamp right? Engineered wood products like Plywood and Oriented Strand Board does not need the Stamp?

When we needed that done, we had a local pallet/crate builder make the crates for us. They had their own stamp. They said they could have provided us with stamped lumber, but it would have been about the same price as having them build the crates. It was very reasonably priced.

Call Bentley Packaging in Milwaukee. They build all of our export crates very reasonably.

I would do this. Let's say you find compliant wood someplace, when you go to ship how do you prove that you only used the compliant wood? I think you need some "certified" crating service.

Has anyone here built a large crate for machinery weighing 600lbs without the use of Dimensional lumber?

I can use OSB for the sides as OSB is exempt from requiring the IPPC stamp for international shipping. But my problem is what to use for the framing of the crate and the custom pallet.

The machine weighs around 600-630lbs and its dimensions are Length 84" , Height 57" , Depth/Width 30"

I've never had trouble when the crate is completely made of plywood, because it's all engineered and processed. No raw lumber allowed.

Yeah Plywood , OSB and other engineered products are exempt.

But I need lumber for framing and pallet building.

Can't use OSB or plywood even if I cut strips and glue them because it may still be too flexible . But the biggest problem is the Carrier rejecting the crate because they feel it is not adequate. And if they do accept the crate but end up damaging it, they may not pay out insurance claiming the substitution of OSB strips was inadequate bracing.

Talked to Bentley Packaging; they only serve large commerical/industrial customers.

Are there pallets that are made completely out of OSB?

The pallet pictured below looks like it is totally made out of OSB.
Pallets de compensados e OSB – Globalwood | Compensados e Madeiras

Need to build a crate to send a large item (around 650lbs not including crating weight) to Europe.

I believe the proper Stamp is the ISPM 15 compliance .
Lee Inspection and Consulting Services - ISPM 15 Stamp Program

Anyone know of Lumber/logistics providers in the South East Wisconsin area selling lumber with this Stamp?

Thanks

Update:

I talked to a wholesale lumber yard in Illinois and they said that most places do not sell raw lumber with the ISPM 15 Stamp. They build the shipping crate and then heat treat the whole thing and then apply the Stamp. I would not be able to get a company to Apply the stamp to a crate I build, they would have to build it themselves.

1 more question:
Only lumber needs the stamp right? Engineered wood products like Plywood and Oriented Strand Board does not need the Stamp?
I once tried the same thing as you and could not find any source of lumber with the stamp. The way it works is you have to be an official crate builder registered in good standing with the export authorities and then the crate builder can stamp it. Re non solid wood...that usually works for me but in Australia, even all plywood crates need "paperwork".

After all the trouble I went to, to make a gigantic all plywood crate for a Maho MH500e CNC mill one time, to have them STILL demand paperwork on the lumber I basically told them (Aussie export folks) to f*ck off and never heard another peep. What kills me is that even treated lumber is not good enough for them...even THAT needs a stamp...what a racket.

Spud,

You are correct that plywood OSB board don't need the stamp, (there is no stamp for lumber) They are treated with enough heat during manufacture to be classified as "heat treated"

I don't see why you can't make the crate completely out of plywood. Get some 3/4 and rip it 1 1/2" wide screw it together and you will have a stiff 1 1/2 x 1 1/2" stick You can use these for the corner of the crate for skids rip the 3/4' stock 5" wide stack some together you have a beam. If you make a totally enclosed box it will be very stiff.

Spud,

You are correct that plywood OSB board don't need the stamp, (there is no stamp for lumber) They are treated with enough heat during manufacture to be classified as "heat treated"

I don't see why you can't make the crate completely out of plywood. Get some 3/4 and rip it 1 1/2" wide screw it together and you will have a stiff 1 1/2 x 1 1/2" stick You can use these for the corner of the crate for skids rip the 3/4' stock 5" wide stack some together you have a beam. If you make a totally enclosed box it will be very stiff.
The problem is it is simply waaaay more work to make a crate out of all plywood and the end result is usally less sturdy than if it was solid wood. The most ridiculous aspect being not being able to use treated 4 x 4's for the base. I used "plastic" wood 4 x 4's once just to save labor....but they are quite expensive and not as sturdy as real lumber 4 x 4's. Plus one gets to worry about acidic gases from the glue in some Chinese plywood causing rust.

The problem is it is simply waaaay more work to make a crate out of all plywood and the end result is usally less sturdy than if it was solid wood. The most ridiculous aspect being not being able to use treated 4 x 4's for the base. I used "plastic" wood 4 x 4's once just to save labor....but they are quite expensive and not as sturdy as real lumber 4 x 4's. Plus one gets to worry about acidic gases from the glue in some Chinese plywood causing rust.

Well Don sometimes when you do a job there is some actual work involved.

What would the problem be if the crate was made of steel rather than wood? Just a question, that would be my first choice. Good luck. John

Cost.

Anyways.. I was quoted $300 for heat-treating or $500-$600 for a built + treated crate. I am going to build the crate to save the buyer money, and just going to charge him cost of materials, because shipping is going to cost him a bit so want to give him a break . Gona be a large crate (93" x 40" x 62" ) .Gona take me all weekend since I only have a circular saw and a cordless drill, but gona rent a Miter saw from HD. Buyer's logistics provider says not to worry about heat-treating.

The concern I had with making the framing and pallet out of OSB strips is that it is not going to be sturdy enough even when layered to 2" x 4" or 2" x 6" thickness . The chap I talked to at Bentley Pack. advised against trying to substitute OSB for lumber.

I can't think of any cost effective way to forgo lumber for framing and pallet making. Metal and plastic would be too expensive.

Spud,
You can save some time and trouble by having the lumber yard cut up the plywood. Figure out what you need and have a cut list for them. Will save hours over wrestling with a circular saw and 4 x 8 sheet of plywood.

Well Don sometimes when you do a job there is some actual work involved.
How profound. The point was it is annoying to do more work to build a lesser quality crate due to some idiotic regulations such as not being able to use treated lumber. And remember, my first profession was cabinet maker so I know of what I speak.

How profound. The point was it is annoying to do more work to build a lesser quality crate due to some idiotic regulations such as not being able to use treated lumber. And remember, my first profession was cabinet maker so I know of what I speak.

So what's your point? You finding the law idiotic is irrelevant. The laws the law if you want to ship overseas you have to follow the law. Oh and there's no such thing as treated lumber.(as it relates to shipping overseas)

Back